New Senior member/pilot - which direction?

Started by Smoothice, September 17, 2009, 06:09:13 PM

Smoothice

Hello,
New senior member here. Just wondering if anyone had advise on which direction to take my flying to: 
I have almost 400 total time, Mostly in 172's
I have just about 225 PIC hours
I am NOT instrument rated (yet)

Which would be more logical, Mission pilot or Orientation Pilot? Which direction will get me flying sooner. I am current in FAA reg's.

Thanks!

WT

With more than 200 Hrs PIC, you would qualify to be a Cadet Orientation Pilot.

I would suggest you complete a CAPF 5 (Form 5 checkride) in a C-172, then fly some orientation flights for cadets.  This is one of the great opportunities of CAP.  It is great to see the expression of a cadet the first time they are actually flying an airplane!

Before you do that, you will need to study CAPR (CAP Regulation) 60-1.  That is the governing regulation concerning most flying in CAP.

Also, no reason why you can't start ALSO training to be a Mission Pilot.  This usually takes most pilots 6 mos - 1 year to complete.

I would suggest you find a senior pilot and talk to them about the path to each of these, and ask them to be a mentor to help guide you through.

bosshawk

WT has given you some good advice.  If you live in a Wing that has 172s, stay with that airplane.  If your Wing has 182s, suggest that you get a Form 5 in a 172, then do your Mission Pilot training and become a MP.  After that, try to get some upgrade training to the 182.

Remember, nothing happens rapidly in CAP(except for uniform posts on CAPtalk), get that mentor and go from there.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Thrashed

I'm an ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI with 13,000 hours and I've never even seen a CAP airplane.  ;D

Good luck.

Save the triangle thingy

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 03:26:33 AM
I'm an ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI with 13,000 hours and I've never even seen a CAP airplane.  ;D

Good luck.

Come to Hemet, California and join my squadron, I will get you in an airplane very quickly.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

DG

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 03:26:33 AM

Good luck.

You need to talk to the right people.

Thrashed

The problem is that there are no aircraft around.  None in my group.  I'm the only "pilot" in the squad.  The SM's really don't know anything.  I joined for my kids in the cadet program, so if I never fly I'm fine with that.  I am a professional pilot, so I don't need to fly more.  I would like to do O flights for the kids and many want to learn to fly.  I'd instruct for free. 

Save the triangle thingy

Al Sayre

Then bump that up to your squadron and group commanders.  Get your CAPF-5 and get those cadets flying.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Thrashed

I haven't been too successful going up to any level.  Most don't have any way to contact.  Those who do, do not respond.

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: bosshawk on September 17, 2009, 06:30:15 PM
Remember, nothing happens rapidly in CAP(except for uniform posts on CAPtalk), get that mentor and go from there.

That's the truth.  Did my CPPT and level one stuff last spring and still nothing.  None of it's posted as complete on eservices.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 06:21:55 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on September 17, 2009, 06:30:15 PM

That's the truth.  Did my CPPT and level one stuff last spring and still nothing.  None of it's posted as complete on eservices.

This is most certainly a simple administrative issue.  At what point does personal initiative come into play here?  Without Level 1 and CPPT posted you can't do anything, nothing with cadets, no ES, you couldn't fly a CAP plane even if one was near you any way.

How long until you get it fixed yourself?  If your unit CC seems stymied by the issue, move up the chain or go to NHQ directly.  What's the point of calling yourself a member if you can't do anything?

And if you're operating in any staff position whatsoever without Level 1 and CPPT being completed, not only are you violating CAP regulations, but you are putting both yourself and the corporation at risk.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

I agree 100%.  I ask my commander that every week.  What else can I do?  I've done everything, filled out the paperwork myself, and handed it to them in person.  I can't "fix" it myself.  I have to go through the squad commander for level 1.

Save the triangle thingy

EMT-83

You go through PDO for Level 1; he's the guy who submits it to NHQ.

Al Sayre

Fill out a CAPF 11 with the information about when and where you completed the material, sign on the appropriate line, place it in front of your CC for signature, FAX to phone # on form at NHQ, wait 2-3 working days...Done!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pylon

If true, it unfortunately points out a complete failure of leadership in Trash's unit and perhaps Group; a failure to encourage volunteers to give of their time and to help and support them in participating actively in their program.  Yes, sometimes you have to be a self-starter in CAP -- but how many people do we lose, or perhaps just not maximize their potential contributions, because everyone has to be their own PDO, Personnel officer, do-it-yourself OJT, etc, ad nauseum?

On topic, if you can get set up as a Cadet Orientation Flight pilot, I think you'll enjoy it.  At least in my area there don't always seem to be enough o-flight qualified pilots. And as mentioned, giving a cadet a memorable o-flight is a great way to plant the seed that will encourage future aviators and aerospace leaders.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 18, 2009, 07:37:13 PM
Fill out a CAPF 11 with the information about when and where you completed the material, sign on the appropriate line, place it in front of your CC for signature, FAX to phone # on form at NHQ, wait 2-3 working days...Done!

What he said...

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 18, 2009, 07:14:18 PM

Don't have one.  Actually, I am the new one. ?

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

I'll try this.  Thanks.  They said they already faxed it, but I can do it again.

Save the triangle thingy

DC

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 10:17:00 PM

I'll try this.  Thanks.  They said they already faxed it, but I can do it again.
National is pretty good about processing paperwork that gets faxed to them in a timely manner. I'd give it another try.

Thrashed

Quote from: Pylon on September 18, 2009, 08:38:10 PM
If true, it unfortunately points out a complete failure of leadership in Trash's unit and perhaps Group; a failure to encourage volunteers to give of their time and to help and support them in participating actively in their program.  Yes, sometimes you have to be a self-starter in CAP -- but how many people do we lose, or perhaps just not maximize their potential contributions, because everyone has to be their own PDO, Personnel officer, do-it-yourself OJT, etc, ad nauseum?

On topic, if you can get set up as a Cadet Orientation Flight pilot, I think you'll enjoy it.  At least in my area there don't always seem to be enough o-flight qualified pilots. And as mentioned, giving a cadet a memorable o-flight is a great way to plant the seed that will encourage future aviators and aerospace leaders.

I have to be a self starter.  There really is no SM program in my squad or group.  Two active SM's in my squad, with another 4 trying to get CPPT and Foundations submitted.
I've done ICS-100, GES-116, GES-117 parts 1-3, ORM Basic, ORM Intermediate, Annual powered exam, Cadet O pilot with ROTC, Skills Eval, Aircraft ground ahndling, and AEPSM/Yeager.  I sent in for the CAP senior officer course material.  I have all my uniforms ready to go.  I have no grade yet, of course. Mission skills put me in as a Capt, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sitting around waiting for stuff to just happen.  I can only do so much.

I have 4200 hours as instructor and have taught many kids how to fly.  I would love to do O flights.  My daughter has been in with me since spring and has not seen a plane either.  Actually, she has.  I rent one and take her up.  I also paid for her glider demo flight.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 18, 2009, 07:14:18 PM

he may not have a PDO at his squadron

flyguy06

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: Pylon on September 18, 2009, 08:38:10 PM

I have to be a self starter.  There really is no SM program in my squad or group.  Two active SM's in my squad, with another 4 trying to get CPPT and Foundations submitted.
I've done ICS-100, GES-116, GES-117 parts 1-3, ORM Basic, ORM Intermediate, Annual powered exam, Cadet O pilot with ROTC, Skills Eval, Aircraft ground ahndling, and AEPSM/Yeager.  I sent in for the CAP senior officer course material.  I have all my uniforms ready to go.  I have no grade yet, of course. Mission skills put me in as a Capt, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sitting around waiting for stuff to just happen.  I can only do so much.

I have 4200 hours as instructor and have taught many kids how to fly.  I would love to do O flights.  My daughter has been in with me since spring and has not seen a plane either.  Actually, she has.  I rent one and take her up.  I also paid for her glider demo flight.

man, if you are paying for all of that you are missing out on a lot of benefits of CAP membership. I understand exactly what you are saying though. In my squadron we have about 5 to 8 memebrs show up to meetings. We have almost have one full aircrew.

And like the others are saying you have to be a self starter. You ave to do things on your own. I call NHQ if Ineed something turned in. If it needs my Squadron Commanders signiture, I go to him say signthis and I send it in myself. 

flyguy06

Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 06:09:13 PM
Hello,
New senior member here. Just wondering if anyone had advise on which direction to take my flying to: 
I have almost 400 total time, Mostly in 172's
I have just about 225 PIC hours
I am NOT instrument rated (yet)

Which would be more logical, Mission pilot or Orientation Pilot? Which direction will get me flying sooner. I am current in FAA reg's.

Thanks!

I agree with everyone else. get your From 5 first and fly cadets. Maintain your proficiency by flying at least once a month. Once you understand the CAP process of getting planes and what you can and what you cannot do with them, start mission scanner training. Go to a SARex and get your scanner. then start work on your mission observer. These two skills will prepare you for he mission pilot. Its not just about flying. Its about flying the "CAP" way.

If you have the time inthe summer i would highly recommend going to the national emergency services academy (NESA) and taking he mission aircrew school course. They are really good and wil teach you the CAP standard.

heliodoc

I have to agree with Thrash

Even for "self starters" in CAP, there has been a woefully lack of mentorship from alot of CFI's  who have more than 10 yrs experience.  Some ranging from no return phone calls to lack of Form 5 signatures on the SAME DAY whether or not a sat or unsat ride.

So in respects, some CAP CFI's really lack in the mentorship or leadership arena of getting more pilots Form 5'd

Keep the momentum, Thrash!!

DG

Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 06:20:11 PM
I haven't been too successful going up to any level.  Most don't have any way to contact.  Those who do, do not respond.

I repeat, you are not talking to the right people.

flyguy06

Quote from: heliodoc on September 19, 2009, 03:16:07 AM

Even for "self starters" in CAP, there has been a woefully lack of mentorship from alot of CFI's  who have more than 10 yrs experience.  Some ranging from no return phone calls to lack of Form 5 signatures on the SAME DAY whether or not a sat or unsat ride.

So in respects, some CAP CFI's really lack in the mentorship or leadership arena of getting more pilots Form 5'd

There is a lack of mentorship in CAP across the board. Idont know if its anyones fault though. You are dealing with a volunteer organization. People have differnt schedues. But the main thing is we need people with th etime to mentor.

What I have found not only in CAP but other volunteer organizations is that you will have alarge membership but a small core of people that actually do the work. YOu need to find that small core andlatch on to their back pockets. Even if that core is outside of your squadron.

Thrashed

I don't think there are any "right people" in my squad or group.  I've tried.  I've really tried. I found a pilot in another group to get some info about doing it there. 

Quote from: DG on September 19, 2009, 01:06:55 PM
Quote from: Thrash on September 18, 2009, 06:20:11 PM

I repeat, you are not talking to the right people.

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

It will be outside my squad and most likely outside my group.  I just live in the wrong place.

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 19, 2009, 06:24:58 PM

There is a lack of mentorship in CAP across the board. Idont know if its anyones fault though. You are dealing with a volunteer organization. People have differnt schedues. But the main thing is we need people with th etime to mentor.

What I have found not only in CAP but other volunteer organizations is that you will have alarge membership but a small core of people that actually do the work. YOu need to find that small core andlatch on to their back pockets. Even if that core is outside of your squadron.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

Quote from: Thrash on September 20, 2009, 02:41:24 AM
It will be outside my squad and most likely outside my group.  I just live in the wrong place.

I train with units outside of my group all the time. In my wing its not a big deal. You trasin when and where you can.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 20, 2009, 03:30:17 AM
Quote from: Thrash on September 20, 2009, 02:41:24 AM

I train with units outside of my group all the time. In my wing its not a big deal. You trasin when and where you can.

Just make sure your squadron commander knows that you are receiving the training with other units. The chain of command should always be kept informed.

flyguy06

DG

Quote from: Thrash on September 20, 2009, 02:40:39 AM
I don't think there are any "right people" in my squad or group.  I've tried.   

That may be so.

I am sending you an email.  We'll talk.