Information Technology Specialty Track

Started by Pylon, March 02, 2005, 11:40:58 AM

Pylon

Many of you may not know, but since 2003 (by approval of the NEC), an Information Technology specialty track has been in the works.  CAP has many members who commit valuable time and efforts towards organizing their unit's technology and web needs, yet receive no formal recognition; they cannot use this towards professional development nor earn a specialty badge.

The NEC approved developement of such a track after recognizing the need to define what exactly unit Information & Technology officers ought to be doing, and wanting to create a specialty track to both encourage development of their technical abilities as well as recognize their contributions.

CAP has set up a website to let all members interested input their advice into the mix.  The continuously updated draft study guide, track level requirements, position descriptions and other information are available on the website (with a quick registration to their discussion forums).  They're looking for input, feedback, and more feedback.

Their website is: http://www.cap-it.us/

I, for one, think it is a very good start and I hope that it materializes to implementation within the next year.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Having spent a couple hours reviewing the latest ITO docs's, I had only one major suggestion:

Include a provision for cadets to attain the ITO-Tech rating. The catch is in place of LEVEL I/CPPT, cadets need to have their Earhart. I think it would help motive some cadets to strive for that level. Cadets nowadays have alot of experience with computers, far more than some seniors who may 2 or 3 times their age. CAP would be doing them and itself a grave disservice if it failed to take advantage of that experience. I also suggested letting them get the ITO Senior rating and in place of Level II, they need to complete the Eaker.

Another benefit of this would be to give the senior cadets something constructive to do that also provides them with some experience and knowledge they can take with them into the real world.

Pylon

I agree with that sentiment regarding allowing Cadets to earn the Technician and maybe even Senior badges.  This process is allowed currently for the Communications, ES, and Safety specialty tracks.  In those, the requirements that cadets cannot complete (e.g.: Level I, II, or other SM Professional Development requirements) are waived and they just must complete everything else.

There are many cadets who are well-suited to do these jobs.  I know several, and when I was a cadet, I was doing computer work for the squadron and group as well.  We would be amiss in not tapping the resource of cadets if we were to leave this out.  As said before, it's done for other specialties, why not one common to cadets' abilities?

arajca

Unless things have changed recently, cadets can only earn the ES Tech badge and all the Comm badges. The rule that is applied, as I understand it, is unless specified, cadets cannot earn senior member specialty ratings or badges. The only two that currently specify it are ES (Tech) and Comm (All). That's why I feel it should be explicitly stated that cadets can earn at least the ITO-Tech rating.

ncc1912

I like the idea of and IT officer track and applaud all efforts to make it happen.  I know how much of a time consuming process it is.

I am not an IT person by any means; however, I do dabble in it from time to time only for CAP purposes.  I created our units webpage.  I consider myself a Recruiter more than anything, but my location and profession prevents me from doing it as much as I would like, so adopted a more low profile job at my present CAP unit.  This is all about to change in a few weeks, though.

If you would like some support for your IT program I propose a marriage of Information Technology and Recruiting Services.  CAP needs a recruiting website similar to www.airforce.com.  Perhaps a www.civilairpatrol.com site directed toward the prospective recruit, an eye-catching, interactive, and easily browseable site with pertinent information for a person who would like to know what they would be doing in CAP not just what CAP is and its history.

CAP needs to keep www.cap.gov for its members, similar to www.af.mil:  links, pictures, graphics, CAP leader perspectives and news for the CAP member.

NHQ's Level2 websites can be used as a Civil Air Patrol Personnel Center of sorts for administrative and personnel actions.

This proposition would give both specialty tracks a new face and force CAP members and leaders to see them for what they really are:  a very important part of CAP and its future.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Pylon

Any updates on where this is at currently?  I know some minor action on it was mentioned at the latest National Boards, but is this specialty track going to become a reality anytime in the next year or so?

And has anybody heard of plans to allow people to be "grandfathered in" or advance to senior or master ratings based on past work related to CAP?  It only seems fair to allow people who have been doing IT tasks for CAP all along to earn these higher ratings without the waiting period.  It's not their fault that CAP didn't recognize the need for such a track earlier.

Ideas? Rumors? Things-you-heard-in-the-lobby-at-your-Wing-Conference?   ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on April 20, 2006, 04:17:42 PM
Any updates on where this is at currently?  I know some minor action on it was mentioned at the latest National Boards, but is this specialty track going to become a reality anytime in the next year or so?

And has anybody heard of plans to allow people to be "grandfathered in" or advance to senior or master ratings based on past work related to CAP?  It only seems fair to allow people who have been doing IT tasks for CAP all along to earn these higher ratings without the waiting period.  It's not their fault that CAP didn't recognize the need for such a track earlier.

Ideas? Rumors? Things-you-heard-in-the-lobby-at-your-Wing-Conference?   ;)

The last board meetings approved the track itself, however there is currently no approved curriculm or insignia which is finalized.

As specialty tracks are awarded at the discretion of the member's unit CC, I would imagine latitude will be granted to many members once things are approved.

Of course if there is a test, that is objective and would need to be taken.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Wow, they need to put a little more content on that CAP-IT web site.  Improving the look & feel wouldn't hurt, either.

Does anyone have a link to the specialty track guide?  I can't find it on their poxy web site.  :'(

ande.boyer

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 20, 2006, 04:52:31 PM
Wow, they need to put a little more content on that CAP-IT web site.  Improving the look & feel wouldn't hurt, either.

Does anyone have a link to the specialty track guide?  I can't find it on their poxy web site.  :'(

yea, cap-it.us appears to be woefully out of date.  Even if there's nothing new to post, they should have _something_ at least saying that.  I know the guys who are running it from way back in the day in COWG....I sent Shane Williams a PM back in January and he's yet to reply to it.....so, I suspect they've not checking/updating the site anymore.  It would also appear as though spam bots have taken over the forums

I haven't been able to find any updated information either nor did I hear anything about it at the ALWG conference this past weekend :-(

-ande

afgeo4

Can anyone show me where in the regs it states that cadets may earn the technician rating for ES and/or Coms?

I'm pretty sure they may fulfill all the requirements, and hold the office, but not have an actual rating.
GEORGE LURYE

Pace

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 02, 2006, 05:31:56 AM
Can anyone show me where in the regs it states that cadets may earn the technician rating for ES and/or Coms?

I'm pretty sure they may fulfill all the requirements, and hold the office, but not have an actual rating.
They can earn the basic (technician) ES badge and all levels of the Comms badge, but they do not earn the senior member specialty rating until their membership type is "SENIOR".  Check CAPR 35-6 (ES badge) and CAPR 100-1 (Comms badges).
Lt Col, CAP

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

swilliams

I just wanted to take a second & let everyone know what I know the status to be.

Myself & Lt. Erick Pound (from NY Wing) have been working on the IT Specialty track almost since it's inception.

We were making decent progress, with a few setbacks due to personnel changes at NHQ, until about 3-4 months ago. It seems that the current leadership at NHQ has now taken the lead on it, and Erick & I are pretty much not in the loop.

Now, Erick & I run cap-it.us - and allow me to apologize for it being so woefully out of date.

The good news is that soon we will be 're-deploying' the site to become more of an "IT Portal". Hopefully we'll be able to build a site that includes a wiki, templates for CMS's, and many other useful things for the IT Officer in the field.

This is just a quick 1 overview of what's happened, contact me directly if you'd like more details.

V/R
Maj. Shane Williams
IT Director
Rocky Mountain Region

Dragoon

I can't wait to see where this falls in 20-1.

Hopefully, it won't be listed as a mandatory postion in every squadron. 

I think there's a lot of value in this track, but only in units that have, well, technology.  If a unit has nothing more than a laptop, no need for a person.

Wing, however (and Groups in big states) could benefit a lot.

shorning

Quote from: Dragoon on January 07, 2007, 07:59:12 PM
I can't wait to see where this falls in 20-1.

Hopefully, it won't be listed as a mandatory postion in every squadron. 

Not every job in 20-1 is required to be filled despite what many people think.  I've said it before, you've got to fill those positions you need to accomplish your unit's mission.

swilliams

I'd agree with that. A unit with only 1 laptop, doesn't necessarily need an IT Officer (or a cadet could fill the role easily). We're finding that many local unit websites are done by cadets, and done quite well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to something 'official' happening, even though MANY units at all echelons have individuals performing the duties of the IT Officer already.

RiverAux

I wonder how this would fit in with IT-ops related to ES?  It is becoming more and more difficult to run a full-scale mission base without someone more or less dedicated to IT work.  And that doesn't include SDIS and Archer-related tech issues. 

Lancer

Thanks for posting about this Mike. I certainly had no idea the site existed or that there were even thoughts regarding an IT specialty track. Sure it's a great start, but if they've been working on this since 2003, then someone needs to get there proverbial 'stuff' together and start bringing this to fruition.

As someone who works in IT I think this is an excellent idea, and getting cadet involvement as a part of this would be brilliant. There is so much technology in all that we do; it would only be a benefit to those involved to make this more prevalent in how we operate.

afgeo4

Sorry... I've been monopolizing Erick's time with the NYC Group's new website and e-mail system which are now up at http://nycg.nywg.cap.gov (I can just picture him sitting in the truck on the way to a fire working on his laptop)

I LOVE the idea of www.civilairpatrol.com as a recruiting website for national. I would also love having a Recruiting Service with training available from NHQ down all the way to squadron level and perhaps a standardized CAP website profile that all units can use as is the case at www.af.mil

They could use the NHQ or the MD wing current format and then assist all subordinate units in setting up websites within that specific format. I think it would be easier to set up and maintain for units at all levels.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: swilliams on January 07, 2007, 09:35:22 PM
I'd agree with that. A unit with only 1 laptop, doesn't necessarily need an IT Officer (or a cadet could fill the role easily). We're finding that many local unit websites are done by cadets, and done quite well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to something 'official' happening, even though MANY units at all echelons have individuals performing the duties of the IT Officer already.

The problem begins when you realize that many if not most units' laptops have crashed and don't run the installed software properly. Then you figure that most groups/wings don't have IT officers either and you have to wonder, "is there anyone out there?" Maybe the problem is that our units only have 1 laptop to begin with. One would think that communications abilities are key to emergency service organizations, but... most CAP units have no internet/phone/data access at their meeting locations or mission bases and one laptop (that usually resides with the finance officer, not the CC or even the ES Officer) isn't going to do anyone any good. We need a serious revamp when it comes to technology. It's the 21st century folks, and if we don't keep up, we'll go the way of our great sub chaser veterans.
GEORGE LURYE