Main Menu

Sep 11, 2009

Started by brasda91, September 11, 2009, 12:32:58 PM

brasda91

To all those that lost their lives on this date 8 years ago, we keep your memory alive.  May we never forget them.

I have a suggestion.  I say we do away with the Labor Day parade and have a Sep 11th parade.

What do you say?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JayT

That's a terrible idea. It'll turn 9/11 into another excuse for drinking and barbecue's in the back yard.

This should be a solumn day to reflect on the huge loss of life, and the brothers and sisters who didn't make it out of the towers alive.

It's more of a tragedy if you waste the gifts of the three hundred and forty three firemen, eight EMT's, thirty seven PAPD cops, and twenty three NYPD cops sitting infront of the TV, or stuck in a line somewhere, or drinking yourself into a coma.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Angus

Jthemann,  I agree 100%.  There should be tributes and no sales or excuses.  We lost too many good men and women that day.  Their sacrifices should never be forgotten.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JohnKachenmeister

I agree with JT.  This is NOT a "Holiday."  All I need to totally make me look for another country to live in at this point would be a "9-11 Day Sale" on auto parts or something.
Another former CAP officer

Airrace

I agree with JT.  This is NOT a "Holiday."  Just take a moment in time to day to remember those who lost their lives.

brasda91

Well, for one, I didn't sit around on Labor Day drinking and partying.  I had to work a few hours that afternoon.

Sounds like you place more importance on Labor Day.

Guess we need to get rid of Veterans Day parades.    :o

Wasn't trying to start a fight, but rather discuss the importance of this day and a way to celebrate it.  I don't call today a holiday, but why not put a little more effort into it than just taking a moment in time?

Labor Day - spend all day celebrating and reflecting.

9/11 - spend a minute to remember those we lost.  ???
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

coolkites

Quote from: brasda91 on September 11, 2009, 01:39:04 PM
Well, for one, I didn't sit around on Labor Day drinking and partying.  I had to work a few hours that afternoon.

Wasn't trying to start a fight, but rather discuss the importance of this day and a way to celebrate it.  I don't call today a holiday, but why not put a little more effort into it than just taking a moment in time?

All over the united states we already do that. It is always in our minds and in our hearts.  :angel:

Eclipse

In the United States, "Patriot Day" is the official commemoration of the September 11th, attacks.

It is marked by solemn observances, flags at half-staff, and a moment of silence at 08:46 EDT.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Who do you know that spends labor day reflecting on anything? 

1LtNurseOfficer

Sept 11, 2001, is as revered as Dec 7, 1941.  There are no parades held in remembrance of those lost at Pearl Harbor (nor should there be).  These are days for reflection and tribute.

My daughter is paying tribute today by wearing her CAP uniform to school.  Her tribute is not only to those lost on Sept 11, but also for those who have fought (and continue to fight and die) for freedom and honor across the globe.

We must never forget.

AirAux

While I applaud the service personnel that died, firemen, policemen, emts, etc., I especially hurt for the innocent civilians that died due to this heinous crime.  They did not choose to give theirs lives for this country, they were not paid to put theirselves in harms way.  They were just tragedly taken from their loved ones.  This does not put down the heros of the days, but, we need to also remember the non-heros and never forget the villians that brought this to our shores.  We must not tolerate this type of activity ever again, if for no other reason than to honor those that were taken from us.

JayT

Please, don't take my post as a fighting stance.

What is Labor Day celebrating again? A holiday to celebrate the workers of America, no?

Sept. 11th is an important day, but for not for celebration. How would you suggest we remember it more? A parade of what?

For my family and I, it's a day of memorial for friends lost. However, I'll also honor my fathers departed comrades by reporting to work tonight and doing the best job I can do.

I believe that Veterans Day is also about honoring the men and women who defend this country who are among us, as well as those who died doing their duty. That's why I think that parades are little more appropriate. However, the rush of sales and the commerialization of Veterans Day is completely innappropriate.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Thrashed

No more holidays or "special" days are needed in this country.  We have too many.  It just reduces the importance of the day.  For example: the 4th of July.  Most people don't know what this even is.  The 4th of July is a date, Independence Day is the day.  Just watch Jaywalking on TV to see people who think it's about the Civil War or Korean War.  It won't be long before the average American forgets what 9/11 is. 

As an airline pilot flying out of Newark on 9/11, I'll never forget.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

I had to work on Labor Day as well.

On September 11, 2001, I was not in the USA. I was deployed in Bosnia. I heard about it on Armed Forces TV. So, I came at it from a different perspective. I didnt witness the entire airspace being shut down. Wish I had seen that though.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: brasda91 on September 11, 2009, 12:32:58 PM
To all those that lost their lives on this date 8 years ago, we keep your memory alive.  May we never forget them.

I agree, but frankly to this day most major cities (including New York city) lack a public warning system (radio/tv broadcast, cellphone sms, email text etc), to give immediate emergency instructions to the citizens in case of a terrorist attack.    So perhaps the best way to keep their memory alive is to be sure that appropriate preventitive security is always vigilant but also an appropriate emergency warning broadcast/instruction system is FULLY IMPLEMENTED and the average Joe & Jane citizen know where to listen in case of an emergeny :-[
RM

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: AirAux on September 11, 2009, 03:24:29 PM
While I applaud the service personnel that died, firemen, policemen, emts, etc., I especially hurt for the innocent civilians that died due to this heinous crime. 

I gotta stop you there.

This wasn't a crime. This was a cowardly act of war against a civilian populace by a foreign organization backed by a number of religious sects and rogue nations.

Had this been a crime, the actors would be arrested, tried and punished. the doers of this don't deserve that humane of treatment.

As such, our military and intelligence operators are finding them, killing them, exploiting the survivors for intel and moving forward to do it again until every hothead muslim radical who wants to take a potshot at an American is dead. I salute every one of them, and their families, for doing this.

Other than that, +100 on everything else.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JayT

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on September 16, 2009, 01:46:49 AM
Quote from: AirAux on September 11, 2009, 03:24:29 PM
While I applaud the service personnel that died, firemen, policemen, emts, etc., I especially hurt for the innocent civilians that died due to this heinous crime. 

I gotta stop you there.

This wasn't a crime. This was a cowardly act of war against a civilian populace by a foreign organization backed by a number of religious sects and rogue nations.

Had this been a crime, the actors would be arrested, tried and punished. the doers of this don't deserve that humane of treatment.

As such, our military and intelligence operators are finding them, killing them, exploiting the survivors for intel and moving forward to do it again until every hothead muslim radical who wants to take a potshot at an American is dead. I salute every one of them, and their families, for doing this.

Other than that, +100 on everything else.

I disagree. It was a crime. It was a cowardly crime. If you start using words like "act of war" and "foreign organization" then you legitimize their cause and their claim that they're soldiers in a war. They're criminals, and should be pursued as such. Pursuing them as military targets will only futher their cause.

Major Carrales

Fellows, remain civil in this matter.   I know the September 11, 2001 greatly effected the lives of everyone in our nation (and to the New Yorkers that post here most directly and sincerely).  It was something that has changed our way of life and represents the MURDER of some 3000 of our fellow Americans.  It is a solemn day...one for reflection on the frailty of our safety/security and of the nature of mortality (especially lives taken to cause terror).

Parades and celebrations are not called for and sort of dishonor the fallen...so will making this thread into a free-for-all.  So, while this is sensitive, lets remember that we here are brother and sister CAP Officers.  We can afford to be civil and excuse "misspeaking" and other comments, at least until the intent is clearly stated by the would-be offender. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

aveighter

Quote from: JThemann on September 16, 2009, 02:12:11 AM
I disagree. It was a crime. It was a cowardly crime. If you start using words like "act of war" and "foreign organization" then you legitimize their cause and their claim that they're soldiers in a war. They're criminals, and should be pursued as such. Pursuing them as military targets will only futher their cause.

Interesting.  How about those fellows at Pearl Harbor or the Wehrmacht rolling across Europe.  Did they have a "legitimate" cause?  Did we do a disservice with all that day of infamy and other assorted "act of war" talk?

Maybe we should have sent the Honolulu police dept. and the FBI to sort things out.  Sure would have been cheaper. 

If its all the same to you, young Joseph, until the Honolulu PD acquires satellite guided HE, I'll stick with the boys in blue, green and assorted digital camo to set things right.

JayT

Quote from: aveighter on September 16, 2009, 02:45:26 AM
Quote from: JThemann on September 16, 2009, 02:12:11 AM

Interesting.  How about those fellows at Pearl Harbor or the Wehrmacht rolling across Europe.  Did they have a "legitimate" cause?  Did we do a disservice with all that day of infamy and other assorted "act of war" talk?

Maybe we should have sent the Honolulu police dept. and the FBI to sort things out.  Sure would have been cheaper. 

If its all the same to you, young Joseph, until the Honolulu PD acquires satellite guided HE, I'll stick with the boys in blue, green and assorted digital camo to set things right.

No, those were acts of war, from foreign powers.