Main Menu

Forum Help Needed

Started by Cadet Bonnett, July 30, 2006, 02:04:04 AM

Cadet Bonnett

I need help here... http://cadetfun.myfastforum.org/index.php at my new forum. Please Join to help me. I will choose moderators and Staff soon.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

shorning

So what's the role of your forum?

Cadet Bonnett

The role of my forum, is to have an open- free forum. here cadets, and SM can discuss things, at a more reasonable level, where no one feels pressured, by anyone else. See if anything that is descriped not to do is done, then they have two options. Listen to there warning, or their account will be closed for a week or more.

i am trying to make a forum where people can talk and have fun at the same time.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

shorning

Becks

Quote from: Cadet Bonnett on July 30, 2006, 01:47:35 PM
i am trying to make a forum where people can talk and have fun at the same time.

From what it sounds like, apparently we're not fun  :'(

BBATW

Eclipse

My suspicion is that Cadet Bonnett is about to get an education in the realities of free expression.

Just because you don't agree with something, or don't want to HEAR it, doesn't mean you won't.  Nor can you reasonably expect to be able to ask a whole question, but only provide half the data and not expect to be called on the carpet.

If she limits the posters to people who allow 1/2 questions and 1/2 answer, plus "wacky fun joy", she'll have about 3 members.

If she doesn't, it'll just be more of the same.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadet Bonnett

so i take it that my forum, means nothing to any of you. I am just trying to open a place where people can chat more freely about the cadet programs, and CAP in general.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Cadet Bonnett

Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Cadet Bonnett on July 31, 2006, 06:05:15 PM
so i take it that my forum, means nothing to any of you. I am just trying to open a place where people can chat more freely about the cadet programs, and CAP in general.

It's not that your forum doesn't mean anything to us.  There are already several CAP websites out there.  It's not a reflection on your personal effort into your forums, but you have to offer people something unique and you have to promote it well. 

When we opened CAPTalk, Jerry and I only did so because CAPBoard was closing.  That meant that, at the time, there would have been no discussion forum for CAP members.  There was CadetStuff, but that was geared towards only 1/3rd of the CAP mission and emcompassed more organizations than just CAP.  Our timing was apparently good, and our promotion of it was decent, because we're still around.  Had CAPBoard stayed open, I doubt I would have ever even considered opening a forum.

CadetStuff is unique because it's not just the discussion forums.  CS has articles, links, resources, a wealth of knowledgeable and experienced individuals willing to share their wisdom, etc.  It's not just simply a forum allowing people to post some stuff.

There's nothing wrong with your efforts in establishing a fun cadet forum.  It's certainly a good effort on your part, and reflects well on your ambition and dedication.  It's just that it will take a lot of effort in promoting such a forum and giving people a good reason to come visit in order to make it successful.  When we started CAPTalk, there was a lot of "grassroots" type promotion -- friends passing emails to friends, etc.

Good luck, but remember -- everything is a learning experience, and your heart is in the right place.  Thanks for sharing with us!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP