Main Menu

24 hour pack?

Started by EverClueless, August 20, 2009, 03:28:19 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: EverClueless on August 24, 2009, 04:44:09 PM
The problem being i have no idea what works for me, since i havent used them.  My reason for this thread was to find out what would work the best for me, because i REALLY dont want to spend tons of money on something only to find that i dont like it. 

Bingo - so start cheap, bare minimum, and as you spend time in the field (training or otherwise), you'll see what works well and what doesn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

Quote from: N Harmon on August 24, 2009, 05:37:52 PM
Quote from: EverClueless on August 24, 2009, 04:44:09 PM
The problem being i have no idea what works for me, since i havent used them.  My reason for this thread was to find out what would work the best for me, because i REALLY dont want to spend tons of money on something only to find that i dont like it.

Instead of concentrating on what will work, perhaps you should think about what will NOT work. Web gear does not work for me. But backpacks and vests do. You will find that there will be a LOT more gear that does work for you than there is that does not.

Backpacks typically will work for everybody. I would say go down to your nearest outfitter and try a few on and buy what is in your price range.

Forget about the MOLLE and tactical ammo pouches etc. Buy a good compass instead. Or a good pair of boots. It never ceases to amaze me when cadets have super nice Blackhawk tactical vests but their $15 Jungle boot specials make their feet hurt.

You do not need to throw out the idea of MOLLE just make sure to try it on with some weight and walk around the store to see If you like it. chances are you have already carried some weight using a standard backpack so you can compare the 2 experiences. As far as the cost of MOLLE goes yes it can get expensive but remember that you can use the vest for other activities, I use mine for SAR as well as using it when I go play paintball so it has 2 uses for me. Try this add the cost of the vest and the cost of all the pouches you think you would want and use at once then check the total base your decision of of that. good luck.

davedove

When you're putting your gear together, also remember that we don't need immediate access to much of our equipment.  We are not operating in a "bullets flying" environment.

It's nice to have a few items handy, like say your compass, but for most items you'll have plenty of time to take off your pack and dig it out.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ricks

I say just tie all of your equipment to your belt with 550 cord and walk around like a hula dancer.

Or just carry essential equipment in a camel back.

coolkites

Quote from: ricks on August 24, 2009, 07:24:45 PM
I say just tie all of your equipment to your belt with 550 cord and walk around like a hula dancer.

Or just carry essential equipment in a camel back.

please post a picture of yourself in BDUs with a compass,water,flashlight,batteries,food,knife,survival kite ect..... tied to your belt in hula fashion

ricks

Sorry, I turned in my Ranger Go-Fast stuff long ago.  8)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2009, 07:33:46 PM

ya that way you could have avoided having to wear an orange vest!

Turbo

"Hello Kitty Pink" is not exceptionally visible when you're out in the woods, that's why we wear orange

jimmydeanno

^Which is less visible than the yellow/green that highway workers are using.  Which is also less visible than the ones with reflective webbing...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 27, 2009, 08:00:29 PM
^Which is less visible than the yellow/green that highway workers are using.  Which is also less visible than the ones with reflective webbing...

Actually, as others on here have noted in other threads, the Hi-Viz Lime Yellow and the Hi-Viz Orange each have their place.  The Lime Yellow works well in industrial areas, but the Orange actually tends to work better against some natural backgrounds.  This (and the installed base out there...) is why the new Highway rules that require wearing a ANSI 207 Type II (or III) vest allow either Lime Yellow OR Orange vests.

If you want to see really hideous, there are a couple of combo vests available that are Lime Yellow on top, and Orange on the bottom, or vice versa.  Hideous!  But, Visible from two miles away in any conditions!

Thom Hamilton

Hawk200

Quote from: Thom on August 27, 2009, 11:12:56 PMIf you want to see really hideous, there are a couple of combo vests available that are Lime Yellow on top, and Orange on the bottom, or vice versa.  Hideous!  But, Visible from two miles away in any conditions!

You wouldn't happen to have some links available, would you? I've been looking for a hi vis vest to wear when I ride at night. Something with a color combo that's completely abnormal and unnatural would fill the bill nicely.

Thom

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 28, 2009, 02:13:06 AM
Quote from: Thom on August 27, 2009, 11:12:56 PMIf you want to see really hideous, there are a couple of combo vests available that are Lime Yellow on top, and Orange on the bottom, or vice versa.  Hideous!  But, Visible from two miles away in any conditions!

You wouldn't happen to have some links available, would you? I've been looking for a hi vis vest to wear when I ride at night. Something with a color combo that's completely abnormal and unnatural would fill the bill nicely.

Sure, here's some glaring examples:

This is what I keep in my car, it's Orange with Lime Stripes and Silver Scotchlite reflective:
http://www.safetycompany.com/ok1-ansi-class-dot-surveyor-vest/p_1005325.html

Here's the opposite, with a Lime base and Orange stripes plus Silver Scotchlite reflective:
http://www.safetycompany.com/ok1-ansi-class-hook-and-loop-vest/p_1005496.html

And, here's a two-tone vest, Lime over Orange:
http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10285

And, finally, a two-tone Alternating Lime and Orange Jacket:
http://www.embroidered-uniforms-corporate-apparel.com/ansi-class-bomber-jacket-ok4202-p-4818.html

Honestly, if you aren't conspicuous enough in those, you have problems.

Thom Hamilton

Hawk200

Quote from: Thom on August 28, 2009, 03:43:48 AMSure, here's some glaring examples:......

Honestly, if you aren't conspicuous enough in those, you have problems.

Probably go with option two. Three is a little bizarre.

Just looking for something that will be noticed by even the drunks on the road.

EverClueless

I think any of those orange vests are better than the one i got.  I was getting other stuff from the gear list and figured i might as well get a vest while i was there.  They only had 1 kind of orange vest, but they said it was 1-size-fits-all and it met the requirements.   so i bought it without trying it on, and when i put it on later it looked ridiculous. its way too big. the only way its one-size-fits-all is if all are only one size.

but it fits the requirements, so thats enough complaining.

But back on topic a little more, what is the usefull-ness of MOLLE/ALICE backpacks?

Does a backpack really need MORE pouches? if you need more space wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy a bigger pack?  i understand putting pouches on a vest; once you put pouches on a vest it is capable of carrying all your equipment.  but a pack is already capable of carrying equipment.

maybe i have no idea what im talking about and adding pouches to what is essentially a large pouch for your back does make sense.  but i have no experience with MOLLE/ALICE packs so i probably shouldnt even be talking

jimmydeanno

Pouches make your equipment more easily accessible. 

If you just bought a larger pack and shoved everything for your 24 hour gear into it, you'd have to take everything out to get the item on the bottom, then repack, then unpack for the next thing, etc.

Your typical LL Bean School pack has one main compartment and a small zipper pouch on it.  It isn't adaptable to the needs you may face on any given day, etc.

Another advantage to the molle setup is that if you don't need the items in a particular pouch that day, you just take it off and put what you need on.  Then, you don't have to repack anything.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 28, 2009, 04:00:50 PM
Pouches make your equipment more easily accessible. 

Properly used, pouches make your equipment more readily accessible.  To take this to the extreme, consider two options for a Flight Bag (slightly off point, but I have a great example I want to use...):

You can get a big old bag and pour all your stuff in it, like an Alice pack, or you can get a hyper-organized bag like the BrightLine flight bag, where there is a pouch sized and designed for each individual item you intend to carry.

Like this cutaway view:

Now, imagine that you change the fuel tester you carry to a squat round GATS jar, instead of the long skinny kind.  With that bag, you are stuck.  MOLLE pouches let you change the pouches as you either acquire different gear, OR decide to change the way you carry the gear you have.

Decide you want your compass pouch on the left side of your SAR pack instead of the right?  Just move it.

MOLLE is all about CUSTOMIZATION.  Whether the extra price and slight weight/size penalties are worth it to you, is a personal decision.  Just keep in mind that while you are finding the 'best' setup for your circumstances, you can burn through a LOT of money buying different size/shape/color MOLLE pouches.

FYI:  If you choose NOT to get a MOLLE pack, there are still some options that can make life easier with the 'one big bag' type of backpacks.  Number one is to get a 'Rear Loading' pack instead of a 'Top Loading' pack.  Top Loading is what most of us grew up with, and, as jimmydeano mentioned, you have to dig through all your gear to get at the stuff on the bottom.  A 'Rear Loading' pack has the opening on the back instead of (or in addition to) the Top.  The whole back panel zips down, so if the pack is laid strap-side down it is more like getting stuff out of a suitcase.  Everything is side-by-side so rather than a 2 foot deep pile of stuff, you get a 2 foot wide display of your stuff.  Check them out.

Thom Hamilton