Main Menu

24 hour pack?

Started by EverClueless, August 20, 2009, 03:28:19 PM

Polecat

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 09:13:19 PM
I have in fact seen orange MOLLE before its not common or very polular but it does exist check your local surplus store if you don't see it on the shelves ask them about it

Link?

coolkites

Hey sorry about the spelling and grammar but thats not what is really important here. The fact is that if you can get the informaion out of a post why let the grammar bother you?

coolkites

Sorry I can't give you a link it was at my local surplus store. They do not have a website >:( (they should)

Eclipse

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 09:26:34 PM
Hey sorry about the spelling and grammar but thats not what is really important here. The fact is that if you can get the informaion out of a post why let the grammar bother you?

Because spelling and grammar count, all the time, 24x7.

As to the orange molle, it doesn't exist - what you saw was, as you say, likely something for hunting which may have resembled or even fit on a molle vest, but wasn't part of a system.

Orange tactical gear is the holy grail of SAR equipment and as of today no one is producing it commercially.

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

haha well It probaly was for hunting but it was 100% desighned to fit on a vest and the back attachment points looked no diffrent than those on an OD Condor map pouch it was desighned for a MOLLE system but maybe not by one of the main millitary designers.

DC

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 09:26:34 PM
Because it's far easier to get information out of a post when it doesn't have to be read and reread five times to understand what the poster was trying to say.

It's also just good internet manners.

coolkites

ok great I think that was already covered, thanks for replacing the dressing on the wound

Anyways has anyone found out if they make MOLLE gear with reflective tape on it? odd question but seems great for roadwork and other stuff

Polecat

This is a situation where it is apropriate to post a link to your own thread. Clicky
Or you can just make your own with reflective fabric and some sewing, or find some sticky stuff.

Eclipse

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 10:51:20 PM...has anyone found out if they make MOLLE gear with reflective tape on it? odd question but seems great for roadwork and other stuff

No, they don't - shouldn't this be in the Molle superthread?

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

In response to polecat I was thinking something along those same lines.

Polecat

By the way, my reply was the first thing to come up in the search results if you search "Reflective MOLLE".
And when you want to tell people who you are responding to, the quote button works very well for that.

coolkites

Quote from: Polecat on August 20, 2009, 11:21:51 PM
By the way, my reply was the first thing to come up in the search results if you search "Reflective MOLLE".
And when you want to tell people who you are responding to, the quote button works very well for that.

Thanks Im new so im still learning the tricks of the trade (but see I used the quote button!)

EverClueless

Quote from: DC on August 20, 2009, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
the only reason i mentioned my other thread it because of the reason that many people buy what looks cool and not whats practical the Lets talk about Molle post has information and opinions to help a cadet make a smart informed decision if you dont want smart informed decisions then that you problem but please dont try to discourage new cadets they are new and want some friendly advice. if you want to rant about me pm me not infront of other people to make your point.
I'm sorry, I can't take it anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_on_sentence

Probably a little late, but, that was funny.

coolkites

Hey I have been on summer break so give me a uh...............break lol

EverClueless

So would you (the general forum) recommend a vest or a pack?

coolkites

It really depends since you are new try using some random backpack that you have lying around the house. As long as it's comfortable and holds all your gear it should work. If you decide that you like SAR then you will be in a better position to decide what kind of gear you really want.

DC

Quote from: EverClueless on August 21, 2009, 04:51:21 PM
So would you (the general forum) recommend a vest or a pack?
Specifically, no, since there are sooooooo many options out there. For 24hr gear a light SAR-med type vest works well, or, my preference, a small hydration pack (ex: Blackhawk! STRIKE Tsunami). That optional also provides MOLLE attachement points so you can add some pouches to it as needed. If you are getting in and out of vehicles a lot it is small and relatively easy to take off and put back on, and if you are out in the woods all day they're light and comfortable to carry. You also don't have the heat issues that frequently accompany wearing a vest.

But, it really all depends on your personal needs, wants, and the size of your wallet.

EverClueless

The end result answer to most of what ive researched ends up being "Use whatever works for you".

The problem being i have no idea what works for me, since i havent used them.  My reason for this thread was to find out what would work the best for me, because i REALLY dont want to spend tons of money on something only to find that i dont like it. 

I know no one can tell me what works for me, but i was more looking for general suggestions on what type of pack/vest (MOLLE, plain old Day pack, ALICE, etc.) would be good. personally i think the vests look much better and seem like it would be much less on your back/shoulders than a pack.

Also: Regarding MOLLE, the whole personal customization seems like a good idea, but since you have to buy all the individual packs and pouches and attachments, wouldnt it get pretty expensive?

ive seen single pouches for 40$. i dont want to buy a MOLLE vest only to learn im going to have to pay double what i payed for it to get a decent amount of pouches.

Or is the MOLLE worth it?

PS: I already know that I like SAR/GTM, I've done lots of similar things and loved them. 

Plus, since the original posting of this thread i have already been to a meeting/training/whatever-youd-call-it for  Ground Team and Soon-to-be Ground Team members

N Harmon

Quote from: EverClueless on August 24, 2009, 04:44:09 PM
The problem being i have no idea what works for me, since i havent used them.  My reason for this thread was to find out what would work the best for me, because i REALLY dont want to spend tons of money on something only to find that i dont like it.

Instead of concentrating on what will work, perhaps you should think about what will NOT work. Web gear does not work for me. But backpacks and vests do. You will find that there will be a LOT more gear that does work for you than there is that does not.

Backpacks typically will work for everybody. I would say go down to your nearest outfitter and try a few on and buy what is in your price range.

Forget about the MOLLE and tactical ammo pouches etc. Buy a good compass instead. Or a good pair of boots. It never ceases to amaze me when cadets have super nice Blackhawk tactical vests but their $15 Jungle boot specials make their feet hurt.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

heliodoc

"Tacti-cool" DOES NOT equal tactical

Some folks will learn about those $15 dollar boots.  Some will always want to be like Combat Air Patrol >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D