Main Menu

24 hour pack?

Started by EverClueless, August 20, 2009, 03:28:19 PM

EverClueless

Hello, I am a relatively new cadet that is about to start "training" for Emergency Services to become Ground Team.  I was given a list of things i need for the 24 hour and 72 hour gear (most of the 24 hour pack lists are more or less the same) , but the 24 hour list is very vague and i dont know what would be necessary for someone just starting out.

I have no idea what i should be packing the 24 hour gear in.  My list says "rugged day pack or military web gear" etc. etc.  But what would classify as a "rugged day pack"?  Would a vest be better? if so, what kind/color?  I actually dont even think i entirely know what web gear is...

Just want some help on what i should get and where to get it.

Eclipse

The list is not vague - its tells you specifically what you need to have - the variations of what is available
are for you to choose within your level of interest, tempo, and budget.

Anything from a school backpack to advanced tactical gear is acceptable.  I would suggest the school backpack until you decide whether you even like ground SAR.

You should not have to worry about 72-hour gear until you are well into GT2 or 1.  For the most part the 72 is just replenishment for the 24, along with base gear for camping, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2009, 03:35:22 PM
The list is not vague - its tells you specifically what you need to have - the variations of what is available

Well, it depends. Do you have a link to the list that you were given EverClueless? I HAVE seen a few vague, incomplete lists out there that do not come from the ground team handbook. If you do have the official list, then yes, it should be rather specific. Most anything you need as a trainee can be found at your local Wal-Mart and Army Navy.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

DC

Are you using the list out of the green Ground Team and Urban DF Task Guide? If not, get it. I believe the items a trainee needs are specifically marked with a T or something like that.

Once you get into your training and get a little bit of experience you will probably start to modify the gear you carry to suit your needs. Until then, I would go with the simplest option available.

addo1

Quote from: DC on August 20, 2009, 03:57:35 PM
Are you using the list out of the green Ground Team and Urban DF Task Guide? If not, get it. I believe the items a trainee needs are specifically marked with a T or something like that.

Once you get into your training and get a little bit of experience you will probably start to modify the gear you carry to suit your needs. Until then, I would go with the simplest option available.

Affirmative. If you are using the correct list, everything that a trainee nees will have a "T" for its marking. If you can, I would suggest getting everything at once, but the trainee items are what you need as the minimum to start out.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

EverClueless

thank you.  is the ground team handbook posted anywhere on the CAP website?

DC

davedove

Note that the Ground Team Handbook is one of the required items you must carry (although not marked as required for trainees) so you will either have to buy a copy or print one out.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

coolkites

Also if you are curious about more tactical options once you become more advanced then chech out the post "Lets talk about Molle" its an intresting disscusion

Polecat

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 06:50:19 PM
Also if you are curious about more tactical options once you become more advanced then chech out the post "Lets talk about Molle" its an intresting disscusion

Huh? We can all see that lets talk about MOLLE thread, so you don't have to go advertising your own thread.  And what does becoming more advanced have to do with tactical?  What do you need more tactical options for?  Yes, I am all for whatever works works but if you become more advanced you need a more tactical option?  It seems the newer people to ES are more concerned with being "Tacti-cool" and once you become more advanced you relize that looking cool really doesn't matter.  I am all for "tactical" gear if it works but don't go and buy it just because all the cool kids are doing.  Most of the GTM3T who show up to SAREXs with full ACU gear and start acting all cool because of it tick me off.  Those are usually the people who try to teach me or other evaluators.  I am not saying just because you have that type of gear, you do that I am just saying learn what works for you and don't just buy gear because it's high speed, low drag.

/rant

coolkites

the only reason i mentioned my other thread it because of the reason that many people buy what looks cool and not whats practical the Lets talk about Molle post has information and opinions to help a cadet make a smart informed decision if you dont want smart informed decisions then that you problem but please dont try to discourage new cadets they are new and want some friendly advice. if you want to rant about me pm me not infront of other people to make your point.

Rotorhead

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
the Lets talk about Molle post has information and opinions to help a cadet make a smart informed decision

No, it doesn't.

But nice try.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

There are probably 20 other threads here regarding tactical vests which is why you probably didn't get much response and why I suggested you use the search function.

September morn...

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

true about there being other post but Im trying to bring new information regarding Molle such as the new orange MOLLE or other stuff along those lines plus newer people dont always use the search function anyways that was just my 2 cents.

Polecat

What new orange MOLLE?

Rotorhead

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Polecat

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 20, 2009, 08:59:25 PM
Quote from: Polecat on August 20, 2009, 08:51:33 PM
What new orange MOLLE?

It is orange.

...and has the ability to carry Lightweight Equipment Loads Using Modular containers.

Its also a figment of imagination...

"That Others May Zoom"

coolkites

I have in fact seen orange MOLLE before its not common or very polular but it does exist check your local surplus store if you don't see it on the shelves ask them about it

EDIT: the Orange MOLLE I saw was a container for holding rifle cartridges and a couple other random pouches most likely for hunting not SAR

DC

Quote from: coolkites on August 20, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
the only reason i mentioned my other thread it because of the reason that many people buy what looks cool and not whats practical the Lets talk about Molle post has information and opinions to help a cadet make a smart informed decision if you dont want smart informed decisions then that you problem but please dont try to discourage new cadets they are new and want some friendly advice. if you want to rant about me pm me not infront of other people to make your point.
I'm sorry, I can't take it anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_on_sentence