Main Menu

Dining Out

Started by brasda91, July 24, 2009, 04:29:10 AM

brasda91

Our squadron is in the planning stage of a Dining Out for the end of Sep.  If your squadron has conducted one or multiple Dining Outs, would you please post any helpful tips.  We have the CAPP 3, but there is limited info on Dining Out.  We're trying to keep this as close to a CAP/AF Dining Out as possible.

Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

isuhawkeye

Have a Grog!!

It is possible to do an alcohol free, and even sugar free Grog.  This is a fun, and entertaining part of a well run dining out.

Eclipse

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 24, 2009, 01:19:20 PM
Have a Grog!!

It is possible to do an alcohol free, and even sugar free Grog.  This is a fun, and entertaining part of a well run dining out.

Actually, don't.  It lame, disgusting, and borderline hazing when done incorrectly (which is how most CAP people do it).  The whole point of the grog is to punish those who violate the rules of the mess by getting them falling down drunk - much like the non-alcoholic beer pong discussion we had here, this kind of thing is inappropriate when cadets are involved.

If you're going to do it, establish the ground rule that no one can be called more than once, and make sure you have an alternate "punishment" for anyone not interested in drinking what someone has deemed "funny".

I would also suggest that you do something similar for the "Points of Order" - perhaps no more than two per person without special circumstance, etc.

These things get out of hand fast, especially when cadets are involved.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol Hooligan

Technically, grogs are only for dining ins.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

JohnKachenmeister

That is true.  Members of the mess only if the Grog is employed to enforce decorum.

But... The grog is an important part of leadership training in that if a cadet moves from CAP to ROTC without the grog being a part of his training, we have not prepared him or her for the higher level training.

If a CAP cadet enters ROTC no more prepared for real life than the average college student, what was the point of the CAP cadet program training?
Another former CAP officer

isuhawkeye

Thats why you need a good Mr. Vice who knows their role.  It's Mr. Vice's job to keep things rolling, and to keep the event on task. 

There is no excuse for Hazing, harassment, or other inapropriate behavior. 

MSgt Van

Hazing, harassment, or other inapropriate behavior...
That's the best part of a military dining in, along with the unauthorized mess dress shirts! Definately not appropriate for a CAP audience.

disclaimer
{experiences of this poster are based on pre- 1994 era military}

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 24, 2009, 01:58:45 PM
If a CAP cadet enters ROTC no more prepared for real life than the average college student, what was the point of the CAP cadet program training?

Great googly moogly!  I wonder how I succeeded in the military all those years without being hazed with a bowl of grog. Heck, I coulda been a general! [/sarcasm]   ;D

Smokey

No hazing, no harrasement, no inappropriate behavior !!!!   What's next, political correctness?? >:D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Gunner C on July 24, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 24, 2009, 01:58:45 PM

Great googly moogly!  I wonder how I succeeded in the military all those years without being hazed with a bowl of grog. Heck, I coulda been a general! [/sarcasm]   ;D

I was never hazed and hassassed, either.  But then, I knew how to dress myself and understood mess decorum.
Another former CAP officer

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2009, 01:46:03 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 24, 2009, 01:19:20 PM
Have a Grog!!

Actually, don't.  It lame, disgusting, and borderline hazing when done incorrectly (which is how most CAP people do it).  The whole point of the grog is to punish those who violate the rules of the mess by getting them falling down drunk - much like the non-alcoholic beer pong discussion we had here, this kind of thing is inappropriate when cadets are involved.

If you're going to do it, establish the ground rule that no one can be called more than once, and make sure you have an alternate "punishment" for anyone not interested in drinking what someone has deemed "funny".

I would also suggest that you do something similar for the "Points of Order" - perhaps no more than two per person without special circumstance, etc.

These things get out of hand fast, especially when cadets are involved.

Having been victim to many a grog in my day, starting out at my first dining out as a 12 year old cadet, I can say I never felt the tradition was done in poor taste, nor would I say it's anywhere near the borderline of hazing. It would be important to note that I come from a squadron on an active military base, with the people who have the know how to pull of a non-vomit worthy grog.

I have heard the horror stories, however, of the condiment grog (ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo and the like), and other foul sounding ingredients, but most of the ones I have been witness to usually include things like ginger ale or other soda, something for a chunky consistency (anywhere from Corn Pops to Licorice) and maybe some whipped creme for a topper.

And more to point, never have we had an alcoholic grog, not even as an option for the seniors. Usually, most everyone ends up getting a turn, and everyone enjoys the fun of it, including the few flag officers I've seen make the trip to Mr. Grog.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

ol'fido

It is possible to have a grog bowl without hurting anybody's feelings. Just ask anyone  who attended the IL Group 1 dining out last December. The grog bowl was vigorously used(including myself) and everyone had a wonderful time. If you are worried about cadets turning the grog bowl into a mechanism for hazing, that is why we have Senior supervision.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JROB

We had a non-alcoholic grog at Encampment. It was basicly different colored fruit punches(Each color stood for something) mixed into a bowl. We had a great time.
http://web.me.com/kim1969/TN_Wing_Encampment_2009/Photos_%26_Video.html#44
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky