Main Menu

24 Hour Pack

Started by skiblandford, July 07, 2009, 03:00:14 PM

skiblandford

looking to buy a backpack (24 hr. one) from uscav.com because i can get a great deal on all the stuff online because i know someone who works for them. 
Im looking at http://uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=17928&TabID=1&CatID=53
or this one http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=5781&TabID=1&CatID=53
just wondering if any one can heklp me find a decent one off the website
dont worry about the price

DC

You probably won't need something that big, a small day pack is usually more than adequate for a 24hr pack. I would recommend you get something that is compatible with a hydration system, it'll make carrying and storing water a lot more comfortable.

RedFox24

?  Have you wore or tried on either one of these packs or are they your choice because they look cool?  You need to wear the pack around with stuff in it to make sure it fits you and can carry the materials you want to carry.

The Max pack is a good pack, but both are over kill for a 24hr pack.

Side note:  I haven't had much luck with Cav Store lately; last two on line orders have been, well let's say a real pain, still trying to get answers to why my last order is backordered when the items are in stock?  Can't get answers to emails either.....................quality of product is good, but my customer service sucks.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

skiblandford

yes but i am looking for somethibg that can hold a tent and a sleepingbag

DC

Quote from: skiblandford on July 07, 2009, 03:18:12 PM
That's 72hr gear.

Mullins

Why not just get $50~ web gear from you local army navy?  They tend to be pretty good for 24h gear.
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ryan Mullins
        NJ-067 Bayshore Composite
               Bravo Flight Sergent

Eclipse

Quote from: skiblandford on July 07, 2009, 03:18:12 PM

Neither of those is appropriate for 24-hour gear, which should be light and have plenty of pockets to make everything quickly accessible.

You don't pack a tent or a sleeping bag in your 24 - that's 72-hour gear.  If you're dead set on one of these, that's where to use it.

Web gear, Sarmed, or Tac vest is what you need for 24 (assuming you can't fit it all in your pockets and a school book bag).

"That Others May Zoom"

Bobble

I think what might be most helpful for the cadet would be to try get an idea as to what type of volume capacity he needs (in terms of cubic inches [ci]) to carry the required 24 hr gear.  Then he can decide how he wants to tote the load (vest, web gear/LBE, backpack, lumbar pack,...).  Each type has advantages/disadvantages of course, plenty of threads on that.  Some important factors for me, at least, are ease of vehicle entry/exit, and how will I be able to (read - 'have to') wear the required safety vest and my 24 hr gear at the same time?

I currently use a backpack that is 2300 ci, but it ends up being less than 2/3s full after all my 24 hr gear goes into it.  Better to have excess capacity than not enough I guess, but I'm thinking of going to something a little smaller.  Plus the pack's contents aren't easily accessible while on the go.

Anybody with thoughts on 24 hr gear capacity requirements based on their experience?  I'm interested as what other folks think/use.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Ozzy

Well for my 24 hour pack I have a Specialty Defense Molle II Assault Pack Here is a good review of it. While it doesn't have an integrated Hydration System, there are a few places where you can place a bladder that will make it work perfectly. I have used it on several SAREXs and after trekking through the woods for 5~6 Hours, it still feels fairly comfortable since it does have an internal frame (A plastic plate with foam). The front compartment is good for having your first aid kit, GTM/L Handbook, and other supplies while the main compartment is able to accommodate everything else and then some. If need be, it could be used as a 72-hour pack if you attach a pouch or two on the Molle webbing on the sides or front.

Since there is quite a bit of space left in the pack, there are plenty of straps to condense it to keep it closer to your body and a hip strap to keep it from moving when you need to move.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eeyore

You guys all carry too much stuff, I can fit all of my 24 hour gear in a standard butt pack, with the things that I need quick access to in my pockets.

Ozzy

I carry only the items listed in the GTM handbook, minus the items I don't need for my area but adding a few of my own (Small Binoculars, Strobe Light) and everything waterproofed. While it is a little heavy, it has and will continue to serve me well, and especially well for the NER SAR competition and NY SAREval.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Bobble

Quote from: edmo1 on July 09, 2009, 07:03:06 PM
You guys all carry too much stuff, I can fit all of my 24 hour gear in a standard butt pack, with the things that I need quick access to in my pockets.

I've got a standard USGI Butt Pack at home, and measured it at approx. 11" x 7" x 10" (approx. 770 ci).  I think I'd end up looking like the Michelin Man if, after filling those 770 ci, I had to stuff all the leftover required items into my pockets.  But I'll give it a shot out of curiousity.  Heck, the food requirements (for two meals) and the poncho will probably take up more than half the 770 ci just on their own.

What do you do for the 2 quarts of water?  Canteens on the web belt?
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Eeyore

Quote from: Bobble on July 09, 2009, 08:08:03 PM
Quote from: edmo1 on July 09, 2009, 07:03:06 PM

I've got a standard USGI Butt Pack at home, and measured it at approx. 11" x 7" x 10" (approx. 770 ci).  I think I'd end up looking like the Michelin Man if, after filling those 770 ci, I had to stuff all the leftover required items into my pockets.  But I'll give it a shot out of curiousity.  Heck, the food requirements (for two meals) and the poncho will probably take up more than half the 770 ci just on their own.

What do you do for the 2 quarts of water?  Canteens on the web belt?

Really the only things that I carry in my pockets are: compasses, whistle, signal mirror, knife, notepad/pencil and ID/F60. I use a Camelbak for water and everything else fits in the butt pack, I do tend to pack light though.

For my food I took two of the entrée's and two sides from an MRE and trashed the boxes and the heaters and vacuum packed them. They all fit in a space about 1 1/2" x 8". I don't ever plan to have to get into them and if I do, it is only for an emergency.

Everything that I won't have to break into on a regular basis is vacuum packed, which waterproofs it and saves space (socks, shelter material, extra batteries, tp etc). In most cases we don't stray too far from a van or mission base where I have my creature comforts that I can generally bring in the trunk of my car. The 24 hour stuff that isn't used regularly is in there for the "just in case" scenario.

NC Hokie

Quote from: edmo1 on July 09, 2009, 08:24:01 PM
Really the only things that I carry in my pockets are: compasses, whistle, signal mirror, knife, notepad/pencil and ID/F60. I use a Camelbak for water and everything else fits in the butt pack, I do tend to pack light though.

For my food I took two of the entrée's and two sides from an MRE and trashed the boxes and the heaters and vacuum packed them. They all fit in a space about 1 1/2" x 8". I don't ever plan to have to get into them and if I do, it is only for an emergency.

Everything that I won't have to break into on a regular basis is vacuum packed, which waterproofs it and saves space (socks, shelter material, extra batteries, tp etc). In most cases we don't stray too far from a van or mission base where I have my creature comforts that I can generally bring in the trunk of my car. The 24 hour stuff that isn't used regularly is in there for the "just in case" scenario.

So you're really only carrying a subset of the required 24-hour pack on your person, with the rest in whatever vehicle you happen to be using?  If that is the case, your earlier statement about the butt pack and pockets is not quite accurate.

I understand where you're coing from re: traveling light, but the fact is that a trainee will eventually be expected to have ALL of the required 24-hour gear on his person to be signed off on that task.  Once that's done, he's free to adjust his load however he wants.

BTW, that's a good tip on the vacuum sealing; what do you use to make/seal the pouches?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eeyore

I carry everything on the list, I just didn't list it all in my post. I just don't use everything in my 24hr pack unless it is necessary, it's in there, but unless I actually need it I don't pull it out. I don't use the poncho to build a shelter when I have a perfectly good tent waiting for me back at home base. I don't eat MRE's when I have food that actually tastes good waiting for me at mission base, and so on.

I found that one of the wedding gifts came in handy for something, we have a food saver that I occasionally use for other things. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16160482

Rodriguez

Generally speaking, a 24-hour pack does not contain a shelter or sleeping equipment.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Rodriguez on July 29, 2009, 12:20:37 AM
Generally speaking, a 24-hour pack does not contain a shelter or sleeping equipment.

It should contain shelter material.

Mullins

a shelter can be made by putting up a poncho...
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ryan Mullins
        NJ-067 Bayshore Composite
               Bravo Flight Sergent

Airrace

Eclipse

Quote from: Rodriguez on July 29, 2009, 12:20:37 AM

You could use that logo in your signature for a team tent!   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Rodriguez

i guess i could but, what i meant was that generally you wouldn't carry around a tent or dedicated shelter, a Pancho is another thing that is a Pancho but also a shelter so your not adding weight to your gear because its something thats already in your pack.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Eclipse

And what I meant was that's its too big...    ::)

As to using a poncho as a shelter - it depends on the poncho.  If you've got a decent military-style deal that's pretty large, yes, it is an option.  If you're carrying around a fiddy-cent clear poly poncho that barely covers your knees, good luck, the ground tarp or plastic is probably of more use.

It is important to have that gear for the rare emergency, but the odds of ever needing a poncho from your 24 hour gear for a real survival situation are pretty slim in most CAP operations.  When it gets dark our people go home or go back to base.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

For about a buck at most home repair centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.), you can buy an 8'x 10' or 9' x 12' plastic disposable painters tarp that is in a ~8"x 5"x 1/4"package and weighs about 3-4 ounces. It  fits easily into almost any pack or web pouch, and makes a great emergency shelter that can cover you and your gear and maybe one of your buddies as well.  Throw it away or burn it when you're done; it only cost you a buck, and it sure beats humping around a 2 to 10 lb tent you are unlikely to ever use...

Large (55 Gal) commercial trashcan liners are great too, cut a hole in the top and you have an instant full length poncho, or you can slide your sleeping bag in, prop up the opening and have a nice warm little bivy...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

That's basically what I have, and I found some cool tarp clips to add hooks to it (or any material).

The other downside to using your poncho as a shelter is that you have to take it off to build your tent.  If its raining...well...

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

Buy what you can afford and what fits you the best. I like using E-bay for my purchases.

flydoggy

Shop ebay,the only way to shop,and easy on your pocket book
Lt.Albright