Main Menu

Beer Pong as a DDR Tool...

Started by BrandonKea, June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Chief2009 on June 06, 2009, 05:13:15 AM
Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 04:55:04 AM
Nothing more amusing than seeing your command staff wasted!

WIWAC, I went to a wing conference and at the formal dinner, saw several higher ranking wing staff who were very inebriated. I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

DN

Advocating complete abstinence has been a spectacular failure on a number of fronts.  Cadets will absolutely be confronted with alcohol related decisions as they grow older.  Prepare them for that instead of a fantasy future free of alcohol.

We shouldn't glamorize alcohol use, but we shouldn't paint it as the worst evil since Satan either.  Cadets will eventually realize we made it look worse than it is, at which point they may disregard the entire DDR message.  Save the "though shalt not" statements for the really scary stuff and teach RESPONSIBILITY on everything else.  Of course DDR messages need to be age appropriate.  I have very different conversations with my 18 year old son as compared to my 13 year old daughter.

Practicing drinking games as a CAP activity?  FAIL.
Leaders getting drunk in view of cadets?  FAIL.  Bye bye CAP membership.
Teaching responsible behavior in the real world?  GOOD FOR YOU.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Climbnsink

There was some freshmen at Dartmouth last year practicing beer pong with water last year.  I guess there are stiff penalties for alcohol in the dorms so they were training in the dorms with water.  College made a big stink.  Whole thing is just sad/funny.

Spike

Quote from: Chief2009 on June 06, 2009, 05:13:15 AM
I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

Is that what we are supposed to be getting across?  "Don't drink alcohol"

How about "Don't drink alcohol until you are old enough.....and then do it responsibly".  Our society is so bent on saying "don't drink until your 21", but we don't have anything about drinking responsibly when we turn 21.

Most if not all people learn about drinking responsibly from the "Surgeon Generals warning" on the back of the bottle of booze these days.  That is a huge FAIL on the part of Alcohol Education.

Alcohol is not the "BIG Evil" we are supposed to be telling our kids/ Cadets. 

As far as Beer Pong as a teaching tool for DDR..........Someone needs fired over that.

That is like passing around the crack pipe but telling them not to inhale.

Gunner C

Personally, I don't want anyone telling my kids that it's OK to drink alcohol after 21, either.  It's not CAP's job to teach lifestyle decisions to my children, or anyone else's for that matter - that's my job.

To say that exposing the cadets to drinking, responsibly or otherwise, teaches them that drinking responsibly after 21 is a good mentoring style is a good idea is just strange.  7.4 percent, or approximately 14 million Americans, experience alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence.  7 percent of those who wait to consume alcohol until 21 will become alcoholics. That's pretty crummy odds.

When we have booze at CAP functions, it tells the cadets that it's part of becoming successful.  In fact, in the RM, alcohol is being frowned upon - where getting a buzz on at a unit party was part of the deal before, it is now a no-no.  In fact, if you're seen having more than one drink, your commander will probably have a talk with you.  Sodas are now served at many functions.

jb512

Quote from: Pumbaa on June 04, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

I am sooo there....

flyerthom

We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

Of course we won't be using Vodka, Tequila, or beer... But I really want my cadets to have fun fun fun while learning DDR.

Don't tell Colgan that Vegas has subverted all of CAP  >:D
TC

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:12:56 PM
Is that what we are supposed to be getting across?  "Don't drink alcohol"

How about "Don't drink alcohol until you are old enough.....and then do it responsibly".  Our society is so bent on saying "don't drink until your 21", but we don't have anything about drinking responsibly when we turn 21.

Most if not all people learn about drinking responsibly from the "Surgeon Generals warning" on the back of the bottle of booze these days.  That is a huge FAIL on the part of Alcohol Education.

Alcohol is not the "BIG Evil" we are supposed to be telling our kids/ Cadets. 

"Don't drink alcohol" is fine with me.  I watched two parents drink themselves into an early grave, and I'd just as soon as not have my kids drink.  Ever.

It is not necessary for socialization, "loosening up", or any part of life.  Period. 

The fact that many on this board are capable of moderation doesn't mean we should simply accept it as a "given" part of life.  I am personally a tea-totaler, but not a prude.  A big night for me is a shot of Bailey's or Kahlua in my coffee, and then only for the taste.  I have no issue with my friends drinking, and they all know its BYOB at my parties (if they feel they must).  Somehow I have managed to eek my way through life in this manner.

This is what my children will see - alcohol is not "evil" or "verboten", its just not "necessary", nor should underage drinking or binge drinking be tolerated in any way.

This is akin to our schools essentially collapsing on the subject of abstinence before marriage in the spirit of "well the kids are going to do it anyway, etc., etc..."

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 07, 2009, 01:30:33 AM

I am sooo there....

Thats worth a $500 plane ticket to fly out to your squadron.  ::)

Wright Brothers #13915