AB 485. CAP: California Wing: employment leave. Passes Calif. House

Started by wingnut55, May 31, 2009, 10:06:06 PM

wingnut55

California Wing CAP members Pushing bill for 15 days leave for CAP Missions.

Assembly Labor and Employment - 04/22/09
Motion: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Ayes: 7, Noes: 0, Abstentions: 0

Assembly Judiciary - 04/27/09
Motion: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
Ayes: 9, Noes: 1, Abstentions: 0

Assembly Appropriations - 05/13/09
Motion: Do pass.
Ayes: 10, Noes: 4, Abstentions: 1

Assembly Floor - 05/26/09
Motion: AB 485 CARTER Assembly Third Reading
Ayes: 65, Noes: 8, Abstentions: 6

On to the CALIFORNIA STATE SENATE

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

biomed441

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 11:21:56 PM
I wish they would consider passing this Nationally...

Wouldn't that be nice.  Though with a bill like this, how would employers feel about hiring on a CAP member. In my case, I'm struggling to find work. If something like this passed in my state, I wonder how many jobs I would be "disqualifying" myself from because an employer doesn't want to pay for my play time.  Not saying I don't support the bill. I love the Idea and think CAP deserves it for the work we do.  Makes me wonder though.

wuzafuzz

Let the states decide for themselves instead of shoving more big brother down everyone's throat.  Protections such as this are coming out in more and more states anyway, why duplicate or dilute it on a national scale?  It would be another matter if a national proposal only affects federal employers.

If your state doesn't have similar protections you might start a local campaign to make it happen.  What a fantastic opportunity to inform your legislators and the public of CAP's missions.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

davidsinn

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 01, 2009, 11:58:31 AM
It would be another matter if a national proposal only affects federal employers.
Most definitely needed. My current CC is TSA and is screwed because he works for the feds.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BrandonKea

Quote from: davidsinn on June 01, 2009, 01:30:00 PM
It would be another matter if a national proposal only affects federal employers.
Most definitely needed. My current CC is TSA and is screwed because he works for the feds.

If the state in which your CC is employed passed such a law, I would think that it wouldn't matter if he works for the feds or not, since the law is related to employees in the state, not by who employs them...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 01, 2009, 08:56:49 PM

If the state in which your CC is employed passed such a law, I would think that it wouldn't matter if he works for the feds or not, since the law is related to employees in the state, not by who employs them...

Not true. We have one. Feds are exempt.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BrandonKea

Quote from: davidsinn on June 01, 2009, 10:49:21 PM

Ah, weird...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 01, 2009, 10:50:26 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 01, 2009, 10:49:21 PM

Ah, weird...

Not really. Federal law trumps state. Especially in this case as TSA does fall under the commerce clause. I hate the concept of TSA with a passion but I have to acknowledge the fact that this is one place where the Feds have not overstepped their authority even though I think they have abused it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RADIOMAN015

Get Real >:(  Being a member of CAP as well as being gainfully employed I really don't want ANY laws passed that require by employer to let me take off from work for CAP missions.   

EVERY CAP "adult" "mature" member should be able to sell their participation in CAP to their employer.  Frankly, IF you get too many laws about what an employer has to do for certain classes of people including CAP, IF you go job hunting regardless of what the law says you just might not get hired because of your status (and those that say lawsuit, etc, get real also >:D).  Remember employers expect their employees to be on the job daily  --  that's WHY YOU ARE HIRED & TRAINED in the first place!

I know companies that have had issues with operations staffing because of volunteer/on call firemen being at a fire.  Remember CAP isn't paying your salary and benefits, it's your employer.  Let the comments begin >:D
RM

EMT-83

In this economy, I think the last thing businesses need to deal with is another unfunded government mandate.

A couple of weeks ago, a new law was passed in Connecticut which requires AEDs in all schools. They're currently debating a bill mandating paid sick time in the private sector. Both great ideas, but the costs are to be borne by those already in financial trouble.

I have to agree with radioman. My employer knows what I do as a volunteer, and to some extent, allows some flexibility when needed. Should they be required to grant me three weeks (15 days) leave for a mission? No.

BrandonKea

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 02, 2009, 12:52:41 AM
Get Real >:(  Being a member of CAP as well as being gainfully employed I really don't want ANY laws passed that require by employer to let me take off from work for CAP missions.   

EVERY CAP "adult" "mature" member should be able to sell their participation in CAP to their employer.  Frankly, IF you get too many laws about what an employer has to do for certain classes of people including CAP, IF you go job hunting regardless of what the law says you just might not get hired because of your status (and those that say lawsuit, etc, get real also >:D).  Remember employers expect their employees to be on the job daily  --  that's WHY YOU ARE HIRED & TRAINED in the first place!

I know companies that have had issues with operations staffing because of volunteer/on call firemen being at a fire.  Remember CAP isn't paying your salary and benefits, it's your employer.  Let the comments begin >:D
RM

I'm not even gonna feed the troll on this one. I'm out.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

wingnut55

Radioman you make some valid points indeed the very same points that some (very small) brought out in "Democratic Debate" in both committee and finally on the floor.

But look at it from the needs of CAP too, the country is less so patriotic as we would love to think. Yes 'Some company's will be impacted, and Yes the people will be fired if they don't use their vacation time!!!

Well Howdy Doody guess what is happening as the number of members dwindle?? fewer people are available to fly homeland security missions for the United States Air Force. Golly guess what we do fly for the U.S. Government!! without us the Military would have to have thousands diverted from the WAR. But that is not important is it??? 

RiverAux

The Governator just signed this bill.
Congrats California Wing!

Capt Rivera

looks like we assumed it was paid leave.... I won't look it up but I would have assumed it to be unpaid leave in which vacation/PTO could be applied to....

Anyone know off the top of their head... no need to google it for me ;)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: RiveraJ on October 13, 2009, 12:56:11 AM
looks like we assumed it was paid leave.... I won't look it up but I would have assumed it to be unpaid leave in which vacation/PTO could be applied to....

Anyone know off the top of their head... no need to google it for me

Does any state force paid leave, even for the military?  I doubt it.
I expect companies to let our people go, and save their jobs, but not to pay them for the time...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

yep.  there was an article about these laws in the volunteer a while back.  Seem to recall at least one required paid leave for city, county, state employees.

MikeD

Quote from: RiverAux on October 13, 2009, 01:04:47 AM
yep.  there was an article about these laws in the volunteer a while back.  Seem to recall at least one required paid leave for city, county, state employees.

Which is nice, and totally different then requiring paid leave for the private sector.  From the way it's written, it sounds like unpaid leave. 

Airrace

Quote from: wingnut55 on May 31, 2009, 10:06:06 PM
California Wing CAP members Pushing bill for 15 days leave for CAP Missions.

Assembly Labor and Employment - 04/22/09
Motion: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Ayes: 7, Noes: 0, Abstentions: 0

Assembly Judiciary - 04/27/09
Motion: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
Ayes: 9, Noes: 1, Abstentions: 0

Assembly Appropriations - 05/13/09
Motion: Do pass.
Ayes: 10, Noes: 4, Abstentions: 1

Assembly Floor - 05/26/09
Motion: AB 485 CARTER Assembly Third Reading
Ayes: 65, Noes: 8, Abstentions: 6

On to the CALIFORNIA STATE SENATE

I hope it passes in the Senate!

RiverAux

It already did.  The Gov has signed it and it is law.  I haven't seen the actual legislation so don't know when it goes into effect.