Cadet Officer Uniform Question

Started by capchiro, May 10, 2006, 09:26:38 PM

capchiro

A small cadet, in stature, not cadetship, just made Cadet 2Lt.  Accordingly, he ordered what he needed in insignia from Vanguard.  He called and informed me that the blue epaulets (spelling?), not the shoulder boards, were too long for the shoulder button attachments on his shortsleeve/long sleeve blue shirts.  His shirts are Air Force Issue, small, like 14 or 14 1/2.  Has anyone else had this problem, or did he order something wrong?  I haven't personally seen the problem, but I believe what he has told me.  Any feedback on the situation?  As usual, thanks in advance.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

mikeylikey

Based off my mental picture, the shirt he has may be defective.  If not, they produced a female version of the shirt, he may have mistakenly picked that one up.
What's up monkeys?

shorning

We're talking about the blues shirt here (i.e. AF-issue), not the aviator shirt.  There is no female version of the shirt that looks like the male shirt  One has pockets the other one doesn't.  Easy peasy...

The issue here is the small size of the shirt.  There is nothing wrong with the epaulet sleeves and nothing wrong with the shirt.  On smaller shirts, the epaulets are just shorter.  The cadet just needs to grow.  Failing that, there are possibly some ways modify the epaulet sleeves. 

Hammer

Quote from: shorning on May 10, 2006, 10:19:42 PM
Failing that, there are possibly some ways modify the epaulet sleeves. 

I have seen people roll the top of the  shoulder marks inside to shorten it.  It's kind of hard to explain, i'll try to post a picture of it.

Eclipse

Sew the button onto the epaulet itself, and velcro under the sleeve.

Put the sleeve on and then vlcro it down.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

Quote from: Hammer on May 10, 2006, 11:24:45 PM
Quote from: shorning on May 10, 2006, 10:19:42 PM
Failing that, there are possibly some ways modify the epaulet sleeves. 

I have seen people roll the top of the  shoulder marks inside to shorten it.  It's kind of hard to explain, i'll try to post a picture of it.

Rolling would be the way to go.  I just got back from Wright-Patt on Monday... I noted that the AF actually has 2 sizes of epulets.  Unfortunately, this situtation isn't heard of often, although it probably comes up more often than one would think.

Rolling under would be the best solution in the matter... take about 1/2" - 1" from the inside edge (edge towards the button) and roll inwards as though to turn the epulet inside-out.  Should solve ya'.  If it wants to come undone, try safety pinning from the bottom.

Hope it helps.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on May 11, 2006, 07:39:53 PM
Rolling would be the way to go.  I just got back from Wright-Patt on Monday... I noted that the AF actually has 2 sizes of epulets.

The shorter USAF shouldermarks are for females.  You'd be hard pressed to find a male USAF officer or SNCO wearing the shorter version.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

Quote from: Pylon link=topic=778.msg8706#msg8706
The shorter USAF shouldermarks are for
i]females[/i].  You'd be hard pressed to find a male USAF officer or SNCO wearing the shorter version.   ;)

Depends on their build...

SKI304

One thing I did for one of my cadets a few years ago was cut a small triangle of material away from the underside of the shouldermark so there would be just enough clearance for the button.  It worked rather well, and the material is of a tight enough weave that it won't fray to bad either. 

Rolling the shouldemark I wouldn't recommend.  Not only would it look too bulky, but you would be altering it from its specified dimensions and detracting from that oh-so-desired crisp look that we all strive for.  :)
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Psicorp

Quote from: capchiro on May 10, 2006, 09:26:38 PM
A small cadet, in stature, not cadetship, just made Cadet 2Lt.  Accordingly, he ordered what he needed in insignia from Vanguard.  He called and informed me that the blue epaulets (spelling?), not the shoulder boards, were too long for the shoulder button attachments on his shortsleeve/long sleeve blue shirts.  His shirts are Air Force Issue, small, like 14 or 14 1/2.  Has anyone else had this problem, or did he order something wrong?  I haven't personally seen the problem, but I believe what he has told me.  Any feedback on the situation?  As usual, thanks in advance.

I'm sure you've come up with a solution to this by now, but I thought I'd pass along an observation I had while a cadet officer.   I used to keep my own personal stock pile of CAP cadet patches/pins/insignia/shoulder boards/etc since I was the only cadet with a job at the time, and I noticed that not all the shoulder boards were the same length.  While the uniforms are standard, it seemed like the shoulder boards didn't have a precise dimensional requirement.   My advice, check out any other shoulder boards you or the squadron may have on hand and compare them, chances are you'll find a shorter set.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257