Main Menu

Civil Air Patrol Rangers

Started by N Harmon, March 23, 2009, 10:15:39 PM

lordmonar

Unless you are a Marine Aviator or RECON.  :)

As for SF guys....they do have their own sort of HOORA and elitist bling.  It is just a little different then the Ranger or Airborne sort of elitism.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

You put a Recon Marine next to a MArine cook , both in uniform, and the avaerage person would not be able to tell who is what. In the army, we wear different colored berets to designate "special" people.

I remember when a bunch of guys came into the day room. They did not have buzz cuts. They wore regular cloths and I found out they were SF. They didnt wear it on their chest though. I just asked and they told me

ricks

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2009, 11:58:45 PM
Unless you are a Marine Aviator or RECON.  :)

As for SF guys....they do have their own sort of HOORA and elitist bling.  It is just a little different then the Ranger or Airborne sort of elitism.

It usually entails a big faced watch and some WileyX shades and don't forget the ball cap. Most of the SF guys I have worked with were real down to earth. They are the real pros that get good work done. If you ever have a chance to visit the GB Club at Bragg, you will get a history lesson of what it is really all about. It' s not about HOORAH. Its about skill. Fast is slow, smooth is fast. BTW I was a red-headed stepchild, PSYOP Guy.

flyguy06

we actually say HUAH not HORAH. THere is no "R"

ricks

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 27, 2009, 06:28:37 PM

In ten years I never figured out why we say Hooah. I have heard a lot of reasons but none that really rang true for me but I was not 11b.

caplegalnc

Quote from: ricks on March 27, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

In ten years I never figured out why we say Hooah. I have heard a lot of reasons but none that really rang true for me but I was not 11b.

It's an 11Bravo thing.  You have to be one to understand.  But seriously, it comes from the early 1800's and one of the lesser known "limited wars" fought by the U.S. Army.

Chief Justice
NC-019

flyguy06

I used tobe an 11B, now I am an 11A

Gunner C

Quote from: caplegalnc on March 27, 2009, 07:31:48 PM
Quote from: ricks on March 27, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

It's an 11Bravo thing.  You have to be one to understand.  But seriously, it comes from the early 1800's and one of the lesser known "limited wars" fought by the U.S. Army.

Except that no one had heard of the word before about 1982 (the first time I heard it and I'd been in the army for almost seven years by that time).  SF, generally speaking doesn't use that word - it sounds pretty stupid conventional army to most of them.  If someone on a team says something like that their team sergeant will probably ask them if they want to go back to the general purpose forces.  The urban legends about that word coming from Turkish, Cherokee, or whatever are so much baloney.  I'd like to see the airborne go back to it's traditional greeting of the day:  (lower ranking initiates salute saying "ALL THE WAY, SIR!;  the higher ranking returns the salute and says "AIRBORNE!"  This was used beginning at jump school and was the greeting of the day in the 82nd, 101st, separate airborne battalions, 173rd Abn Bde, and the ranger battalions].

RogueLeader

Quote from: Gunner C on March 28, 2009, 06:48:56 PMExcept that no one had heard of the word before about 1982 (the first time I heard it and I'd been in the army for almost seven years by that time).  SF, generally speaking doesn't use that word - it sounds pretty stupid conventional army to most of them.  If someone on a team says something like that their team sergeant will probably ask them if they want to go back to the general purpose forces.  The urban legends about that word coming from Turkish, Cherokee, or whatever are so much baloney.  I'd like to see the airborne go back to it's traditional greeting of the day:  (lower ranking initiates salute saying "ALL THE WAY, SIR!;  the higher ranking returns the salute and says "AIRBORNE!"  This was used beginning at jump school and was the greeting of the day in the 82nd, 101st, separate airborne battalions, 173rd Abn Bde, and the ranger battalions].

Still is in 20th En Bde. (Abn) amd 27 En Bn (Cbt)(Abn)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

tarheel gumby

Heard HUAH first at Ft. McClellan when I was a 95 B, but nobody bothered to explain the origin of the word .
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

MIKE

Mike Johnston