Main Menu

Facebook Security Dangers

Started by wingnut55, March 02, 2009, 06:41:10 PM

winterg

Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2009, 09:22:10 PM
Quote from: winterg on March 03, 2009, 09:17:32 PM
It is a valuable tool to keep in touch and exchange messages with friends and family, sometimes on a daily basis.  I live very far from any family and see them only once or twice a year.  But with Facebook and I can chat with them as often as I want for free. 

People say that all the time.

How is this different / better from email and IM?

I would not say it is better, mostly different.  With email, I compose it and send it off to the people I "believe" will care what I have to say.  With Facebook, I write on my wall and my friends, who WANT to can come by and read what I have to say and comment, sometimes beginning a dialogue.  Facebook also has a real-time chat function that I use on a regular basis.  I am kept appraised as to the goings on with my friends and family much easier than email alone would allow.  

As I said, this is not "better or worse" then they way it used to be done.  Merely different.  It seems like the most vehement condemnation of this new technology comes from those who do not use it and do not fully understand how it works.  Are there ways to abuse these sites? You betcha.  Just watch the news.  But wouldn't it be better to keep on top of these types of sites in order to better help our cadets navigate the pitfalls?

How many of your cadets have Facebook pages?  How many of them routinely discuss engaging in risky behavior on those pages?  

The question we should be asking is how can these social networking sites better help us to provide open and honest guidance to our cadets on issues that are relevant to them today.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: winterg on March 03, 2009, 09:33:26 PM
Are there ways to abuse these sites? You betcha.

Any form of communication nowadays is succeptable to abuse... Even e-mail.

Wait...

Does that mean I'm really not a bajillionare all thanks to that Ethiopian prince I gave my credit card number to???

[darn]!   >:(

;D

notaNCO forever

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 03, 2009, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: winterg on March 03, 2009, 09:33:26 PM
Are there ways to abuse these sites? You betcha.

Any form of communication nowadays is succeptable to abuse... Even e-mail.

Wait...

Does that mean I'm really not a bajillionare all thanks to that Ethiopian prince I gave my credit card number to???

[darn]!   >:(

;D

Wait that was a scam?  :o :o

PhoenixRisen

Eclipse

My bud in Nigeria was just telling me to watch for those Ethiopians, bunch of crooks.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2009, 10:02:49 PM
My bud in Nigeria was just telling me to watch for those Ethiopians, bunch of crooks.

Really? I just sent my good buddy in Nigeria a check for $20,000 to open the account he's going to deposit the entire GDP of Burkina-Faso into...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2009, 01:37:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2009, 10:02:49 PM

Really? I just sent my good buddy in Nigeria a check for $20,000 to open the account he's going to deposit the entire GDP of Burkina-Faso into...

Ethiopia?  Nigeria?  Burkina Faso?

Been to all three of those countries.

Serving since 1987.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Stonewall on March 04, 2009, 02:11:00 AM
Ethiopia?  Nigeria?  Burkina Faso?

Been to all three of those countries.

Stonewall's the real Nigerian, Ethiopian, and Burkina Fasoan (?) Princes!!

I totally figured it out!

:P

winterg

Topic.....

Oh wait, thought I was MIKE there for a sec!  ;D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

winterg

wingnut55

QuoteAnd, out of sheer curiosity and since you brought it up, does your desire for privacy really come from some sense that you're a potential target because of your volunteer status with Civil Air Patrol?

So those  who have never held a law enforcement position you do not understand and I defer to your uneducated remark.

So i will make it plain. I work in a law enforcement situation, my dmv record is sealed, we have people who threaten to kill me or my family or my dog every month!! this is how they "other side" operates. I suggest that CAP does not properly prepare it's members for the actual dangers that involve CAPs involvement in 'Contractual Work " for customers. Until someone gets popped for what we do or the bad guys seek revenge.  4,000 law enforcement personnel have either had their heads cut off or their remains melted in acid. Oh but that only happens south of the border. this year We have had several officer in the L.A. Area assassinated going to work .

I am pointing out the potential dangers of sharing your involvement to the world, but some people think the Drug War is a TV show.

We live in a bad world and playing cops and robbers is no joke. But in the Military there are places were  photography is allowed, I am not a public official so no one in CAP has the right to "Publish my Picture on the Internet. We stupidly wear civilian cloths and fly red white an blue Airplanes. But we are a deterrence, like a security guard at the drive in Theater.

If you dress up like a Union soldier in Richmond Virginia you might get the snot kicked out of you.

but I digress, what are we talking about?

PhoenixRisen

MIKE

Mike Johnston