Alaska Wing CAP Plane Crash

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 01, 2009, 06:12:06 AM

♠SARKID♠

This just popped up in my Google Alerts.  They sure could have worded that a lot better; up until the last sentence they make it sound like they were killed...

QuotePilots of Civil Air Patrol Plane Identified
By: Joe Nicks 2/27/2009

A spokesperson for the Alaska Wing of the Civil Air Patrol, Major Mike Dryden, has released the three names of the occupants to the Civil Air Patrol plane that crashed at a remote lake northeast of Kenai on Friday, February 20th. Dryden said the occupants were Tom Thibodeau, Bob Bauder and Jim Howard. All three are from the Kenai Squadron. The preliminary investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board reports the three were flying in a de Havilland DHC-2, practicing a series of touch and go landings on the frozen lake. On the final take-off, the pilot applied full engine power for take-off, but, was unable to clear the trees at the edge of the lake. The plane suffered substantial damage to the wings, fuselage and the tail assembly. All three men were rescued by the Air National Guard; and did not require medical attention.

PHall

If you saw the picture they showed at the NB meeting, you'll wonder why they weren't killed.
That's one bent Beaver.

SJFedor

Quote from: PHall on March 01, 2009, 06:34:09 AM
If you saw the picture they showed at the NB meeting, you'll wonder why they weren't killed.
That's one bent Beaver.

So to speak...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DG

NIN

Quote from: SJFedor on March 01, 2009, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 01, 2009, 06:34:09 AM
That's one bent Beaver.

So to speak...

+1 Steve.. +1...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

Sorry about the crash, but National has been trying for years to retire the Beavers that reside in Alaska Wing.  Now, they have one fewer to chip their teeth about.  Incidentally, a great old airplane: I had a few hours in them in the Army and loved them.

Does anyone know how many DH-2s still are active in Alaska Wing?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

What do you mean retire, that damage is repairable.

About the only plane Cessna builds that matches the capabilities of the Beaver is the C-208 Caravan.
And at approx $800K a pop, I don't think we're getting too many of those.

sardak

QuoteDoes anyone know how many DH-2s still are active in Alaska Wing?

FAA registration database shows (5) DHC-2 and (2) U-6 Beavers registered to CAP.

Mike

bosshawk

Thanks, Mike.  I seem to recall that they had six, but that info is over ten years old.  I saw one of them at Oshkosh in 1999 and it had just been renovated.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

wingnut55

Alaska CAP

Now those guy are truly aviators, men of steel and grit! (and Women)

Not like the guys here in Cali. who fly around in air conditioned Bonanza's, or only fly a Mission in daylight and VFR.

Now I am not casting aspersions on my fellow comrades here on the West coast!!

♠SARKID♠

Does anyone have the picture of the plane?  I haven't gotten to see it.

PHall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 02, 2009, 10:13:33 PM
Does anyone have the picture of the plane?  I haven't gotten to see it.

The National Safety Officer does because he showed it as part of his presentation at the NB meeting last Saturday.

Hawk200

Quote from: bosshawk on March 01, 2009, 08:29:36 PM
Sorry about the crash, but National has been trying for years to retire the Beavers that reside in Alaska Wing.  Now, they have one fewer to chip their teeth about.  Incidentally, a great old airplane: I had a few hours in them in the Army and loved them.

Good aircraft, I flew in one up there. If you wanted heat, best place to sit was the middle row of seats. Pilots and aft seats got chilly.

Quote from: bosshawk on March 01, 2009, 08:29:36 PMDoes anyone know how many DH-2s still are active in Alaska Wing?

I only knew of two up there. One at Eielson, the other in the lower part of the state. The Beaver for Eielson was actually on the squadron patch.