Trail Mix (fuel for the field)

Started by Stonewall, February 23, 2009, 01:59:58 PM

Stonewall

I hate raisins!  But I love some trail mixes as long as they don't have raisins in them.  How hard is that to find?

A buddy at work said to me, "you're one of those military types, you'll probably like this".  His friends started a company called Nutty Idea where you can create your own trail mix.  He said he gets a lot of business from the troops overseas.

I love to snack as I hike and I think this will be a good change from the usual.

Check it out...  Nutty Idea

EDIT:  Made my first order

"The UK"

Bananachips (2oz)
Papaya Tidbits (2oz.)
Sunflower Seed (2oz.)
Sesame Stick (2oz.)
Cashew (2oz.)
Pumpkin Seed (2oz.)
Honey Oat Clusters (2oz.)
M&M's (2oz.)
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Looks like a cool concept.

I always hated the premixed store bought mixes.  They're way too expensive for the little you get and you don't get to control what's in them.

I noticed recently that our local grocery store chain has a natural food section.  In that section there are a bunch of bins full of dried fruits, nuts, seeds, miscellaneous candies, granola, etc.

The prices are pretty good and I get to mix and match the ingredients to what I'm in the mood for. 

Also, SAMS CLUB has a pretty decent mix - but you wouldn't like it because there are raisins in there.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

Just put in my first order

Raisins 2oz
Banana Chips 2oz
Walnut 2oz
Cashew 2oz
M&Ms 4oz
Macadamia Nuts 2oz
Cherries 2oz

I'm gonna have to make a little modification when it gets here.  Any good power mix requires some chocolate covered espresso beans.  Great find Stonewall!

maverik

created mine:

"NESA NUT"

2 oz raisin - just for you stonewall
2oz cashew
2oz Almond
4oz Macadamia nut
6oz M&Ms

next idea
"Stonewall bash" lots of raisins ;D

wonder if I could do a bulk order of different flavors?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

ThorntonOL

I was looking and you can buy most of them individually as 1 pound.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Fifinella

Can I get a trail mix with donuts in it for mission base duties? >:D >:D >:D ;D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

mprokosch11

Papaya Tidbits (2 oz)
Cashew (4 oz)
M&M's (2 oz)
Pistachio (4 oz)
Hazelnut / Filbert (2 oz)
Macadamia Nut (2 oz)
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

♠SARKID♠

I just got my mix in the mail today, this stuff is great!

Stonewall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 25, 2009, 11:45:49 PM
I just got my mix in the mail today, this stuff is great!

Just signed on to post the same thing...

I know this is something very simple, but I love it.

Since I'm not hiking trails and hugging trees these days, I figured the perfect use for my mix.

I get home from work around 16:45 every day and by 17:00 I'm on my way to the gym.  Sometimes I grab a quick snack, but everything is either too much or too little.  A handful or two of my mix is PERFECT.

My son loves my mix too.  I think I'll change it around and double up on bananachips and honey oat clusters.  Seems to be a lot of seeds too, so maybe I'll get rid of the sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Good stuff.  Glad I found it.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

I've made my order, and man, it was almost perfect. a tweek and I'll be good to go.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340