Certificate of Proficiency Senior Ribbon?

Started by tjaxe, February 05, 2009, 07:37:03 PM

bosshawk

OK, you uniform experts: here is a valid question.  I earned the Benjamin O. Davis award last summer.  When I looked to see if I should buy a ribbon, I didn't find one under that name.  I did see one for the Certificate of Proficiency, which is how this award is listed in my file on eServices.

Is there a ribbon for the Davis award?  If not, should I buy one for the CoP?  Me, who never wears ribbons except the ones that I earned in the RM.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

No and No.

Currently there is no Benjamin O. Davis ribbon that goes with the certivicate.

The COP ribbon is for the OLD cadet program and not for the B.O.D. award for Level II that used to be called the certificate of proficency.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SilverEagle2

Correct...There is no ribbon for the Benjamin O. Davis Award a.k.a. Certificate of Proficiency (for Seniors) in eServices.

What some of us have been advocating is instead of getting the Leadership Ribbon for simply getting a tech rating, that they step the ribbon up one step and make it the Leadership/Benjamin O. Davis/COP for Seniors Ribbon.

That way each Level of PD completed comes with a ribbon. Currently Level II does not have a ribbon. And rather than creating a new one, we do the above.

As stated above, item CAP0734 at Capmart is for an obsolete award that was given to Cadets some time ago. Seniors who earned it as a Cadet can still wear it. It is not for the COP for Seniors.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

bosshawk

Guys: thanks for the info.  For us old x------s, these things are pretty arcane.  Guess that my white aviator shirt will just have to be happy with two sets of wings and a Master badge in ES.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

MIKE

Quote from: bosshawk on February 07, 2009, 01:36:14 AM
Guys: thanks for the info.  For us old x------s, these things are pretty arcane.  Guess that my white aviator shirt will just have to be happy with two sets of wings and a Master badge in ES.

You do know you can't do that, right?

On topic:  Weren't they calling the Leadership Ribbon the Benjamin O. Davis Leadership Ribbon now, or something... I remember thinking it was weird with the CoP being renamed also.
Mike Johnston

SilverEagle2

Quote from: MIKE on February 07, 2009, 02:04:09 AM
On topic:  Weren't they calling the Leadership Ribbon the Benjamin O. Davis Leadership Ribbon now, or something... I remember thinking it was weird with the CoP being renamed also.

Nope, they did not. However they should.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

BillB

Guess my ribbon rack will keep the COP ribbon with it's three clasps.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: lordmonar on February 05, 2009, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: swamprat86 on February 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM
That would require them making more badges.  Not all the sepcialty tracks have badges and, unlike the ribbon, the most you would be able to see on a uniform would be two tracks.

I am more for going in the opposite direction.  Use the attachments on the ribbons and get rid of the badges.  It worked well for years before they started making badges for the other tracks.

So make more badges.

By my count we would only have to make four new badges:
Flight Operations
Srandardization/Evaluation
Plans and Programs
Organizational Excellence

Badges? BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

Mike: you are correct. I noticed that I cannot wear my Army wings, so guess that I will be have to be happy with my CAP bling.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 07, 2009, 03:38:16 AM
:clap:

BGNightfall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 07, 2009, 03:38:16 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 05, 2009, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: swamprat86 on February 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM
That would require them making more badges.  Not all the sepcialty tracks have badges and, unlike the ribbon, the most you would be able to see on a uniform would be two tracks.

I am more for going in the opposite direction.  Use the attachments on the ribbons and get rid of the badges.  It worked well for years before they started making badges for the other tracks.

So make more badges.

By my count we would only have to make four new badges:
Flight Operations
Srandardization/Evaluation
Plans and Programs
Organizational Excellence

Aaah... been waiting for this forever.  Now I can finally be at peace.

SarDragon

For the full, original, quote:

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.  ;D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2009, 09:48:49 PM

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.  ;D
All I need now is a camp fire and some beans.  :angel:

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Gunner C on February 08, 2009, 06:22:12 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2009, 09:48:49 PM

All I need now is a camp fire and some beans.  :angel:
And the letters "GOV" across the back of my mess-dress jacket.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

BuckeyeDEJ

Maybe it's time to revamp things a little.

The Membership Award is a serious gimme. You can almost get it just for showing up. Why not scrap it? The butterbars, or any grade at all, seem to recognize completion of Level I. You have to have CPPT, OPSEC, EEO and the Orientation Course, basically, to even be a member.

Why not make the Leadership Award the technical-training ribbon that it really is, anyway? After all, the ribbon denotes at least a technician level in a specialty track.

The Loening, Garber and Wilson stand on their own merit.

The Red Service Ribbon could/should be renamed, incidentally, especially since "red" means nothing anymore. Let's hear it for "service ribbon" instead, or maybe "longevity ribbon." Something.

As for the Cadet COP? It's a holdover. I wonder how many current members are entitled to wear it. (I'm sure there are more than there are those who can wear wartime service ribbons.)

Hawk200

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AM
Maybe it's time to revamp things a little.

The Membership Award is a serious gimme. You can almost get it just for showing up. Why not scrap it? The butterbars, or any grade at all, seem to recognize completion of Level I. You have to have CPPT, OPSEC, EEO and the Orientation Course, basically, to even be a member.

With a formalized course, the ribbon would have more meaning. And most of our new members are woefully unprepared for what they end up having to do. A lot of people have joined, been handed a pamphlet on a specialty track, and were told, "Congratulations! You're the new ES/PA/CP/Admin/Operations/etc./etc/etc. Officer". Is there anyplace else that does this? Never been like that at any job I've ever worked.

The stuff you mentioned should be part of a formalized setting, and shown some attention. Maybe a rundown on the various tracks available, additional requirements pertaining to some tracks, some history on CAP, what's going to be expected. Should be enough to give some meaning to that one ribbon. (If everyone is stuck on keeping it. I'd give it up.)

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AMWhy not make the Leadership Award the technical-training ribbon that it really is, anyway? After all, the ribbon denotes at least a technician level in a specialty track.

Why even have a "technical training" ribbon at all? You get a badge for each rating in a track. It's a double dip that's pretty obvious. Ditch the ribbon, it doesn't really show anything. Each badge gets a star, then a wreath. A ribbon is pointless, except for fruit salad hounds. (I'd have no heartburn giving that up either.)

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AMThe Loening, Garber and Wilson stand on their own merit.

They do, but why three separate ones? Wilson, I could live with, but I'm not married to it. I'd be all for a single ribbon with devices for each level.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AMThe Red Service Ribbon could/should be renamed, incidentally, especially since "red" means nothing anymore. Let's hear it for "service ribbon" instead, or maybe "longevity ribbon." Something.

I can see two sides to it. Heads, there aren't any other color service ribbons, so having a "red" one doesn't seem necessary. Tails, it's a ribbon named under tradition. Tradition is important.

As for renaming, the military doesn't rename decs or ribbons. Once it's approved, it's set in stone. Ribbons and decs can close out, or are no longer awarded, but they're never renamed. It eliminates confusion of "Well, it's this ribbon.", "No, it's called that this week." We don't need to give ourself that problem in the first place.

Maybe bring back Green and Blue with the original criteria? (Start with Green, replace with Red when eligible, replace with Blue when reached). Also traditional, but might be an annoyance when you have to update your rack. Would really stink if you've got Ultrathins (Or similar. Not endorsing "Ultrathin" just using them as an example). Not suggesting, just food for thought.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AMAs for the Cadet COP? It's a holdover. I wonder how many current members are entitled to wear it. (I'm sure there are more than there are those who can wear wartime service ribbons.)

As I don't have one, I'm a little ignorant. Is that the same as a Falcon? If it is, are both the Falcon and the highest cadet award permitted at the same time? If not, then you aren't really eliminating anything, as they can just wear their highest cadet award. Nothing reduced.

If we want to reduce, we're gonna have to make some hard choices, and everyone has to accept some sacrafices. Unfortunately, there are many people that want to reduce ribbons for others, but don't want to give up any of their salad. That's hypocritical. Either reduce/eliminate or forget it.

The old attitude that everyone should be able to have a number of awards regardless of the merits is dead. We shouldn't be keeping that zombie around. A ribbon for initial entry? Not a bad idea, but make it worth something. We need to quit with the "gimmes".

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2009, 04:29:34 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 09, 2009, 12:53:08 AMAs for the Cadet COP? It's a holdover. I wonder how many current members are entitled to wear it. (I'm sure there are more than there are those who can wear wartime service ribbons.)

As I don't have one, I'm a little ignorant. Is that the same as a Falcon? If it is, are both the Falcon and the highest cadet award permitted at the same time? If not, then you aren't really eliminating anything, as they can just wear their highest cadet award. Nothing reduced.

All you old cadink dinosaurs, please correct me...

The Cadet COP basic ribbon was the equivalent of the Mitchell Award BITD. Completion of certain achievements added one, two or three bronze clasps. A cadet COP with three bronze clasps was the equivalent of the Spaatz in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  ;D

You only keep the highest cadet milestone award or achievement ribbon when you succumb to the dark side; the Falcon Award, when it was awarded was considered a cadet milestone.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Gunner C

Cecil DP

Actually, you didn't get the "Falcon ( Borman) Award until you became a senior member.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85