Started by Senior, December 31, 2008, 03:59:24 AM

Senior

Has anyone used this type of headlamp?  The reviewers at REI state the
red lenser when used cuts the usable light down considerably.  If you have
used the red lenser can you still read maps etc.?  I am leaning toward this
item as a purchase, so feedback is appreciated.  I don't how to post links
sorry.   :)

Fireball

I have the Petzl Tikka XP lamp. Very similar but it does not detach from the head band. I like it a lot. The colored lenses do aid in maintaining your night vision. I use the green filter most of the time ( both airborne and on the ground). I found it worked best for reading maps at night (at least for me). Green does not make the red ink wash out like the red filter does. That being said, I have two GT buddies that each prefer either red or blue. Different strokes for different folks I guess. The quality of my lamp is very good and a set of batteries will last a looong time. Plus you don't have to worry about the  led bulb burning out or breaking, well unless you run over like I did my other LED light. ::)
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

IceNine

Quote from: Senior on December 31, 2008, 03:59:24 AM
Has anyone used this type of headlamp?  The reviewers at REI state the
red lenser when used cuts the usable light down considerably. 

That's the nature of the beast.  Add a red filter to any light and you are going to cut down the light.

I borrowed one a while back it was nice.  Light and comfortable 2 very important features if you ask me.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Senior

You spell( lens) like this and not like this( lenser)(?).  I meant lens.
Thanks for the replies.  I think the negative reviewers at REI were expecting the brightness of the white light when using the red lens.  I have read that the green lens is brighter than the red lens.  I always hated the red lens, poncho tent map review in the field you hand to see all the detail with those crappy GI anglehead flashlights while sweating to death under that poncho.  Thank goodness for the SureFire.  ;D ;)

Pumbaa

Red lens serves a purpose.. To preserve night vision.

I love my surefire, but when I am in a tactical need of preserving my night vision, then it is not what I will use.

Every tool has a purpose.  A surefire in a cockpit while flying at night is not one of them.  A surefire lighting a perp at the end of my gun barrel is another story.

Pylon

I was looking at the Petzl e+LITE instead for cockpit use. 

It has a red LED (in addition to three white LEDs) instead of lenses.   I wonder how bright that one red LED is and how the e+LITE compares with the Tactikka XP.  Anybody else with experience with the e+LITE?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP