GI Issue GoreTex Sleeping Bag Cover

Started by Senior, December 31, 2008, 01:22:15 AM

Senior

:) I have the 3 Bag Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping Bag System that includes the outer GoreTex Cover.  I need to wash the outer cover. 

Can you just wash it in the washing machine or hand wash it??? ;D

Stonewall

Don't mean to insult you, but did you look for a label inside?  They have labels in goretex jackets that tell you how to wash and maintain them, so if you don't find one, just follow what it says inside the jackets.
Serving since 1987.

maverik

this is from a company that makes gortex:

PROPER CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS FOR GORE-TEX SHELLS

Wash in Granger's G-Wash Cleaner Plus—an effective, residue-free cleaner. Typical laundry detergents contain fabric softeners, fragrance and color brighteners which are water-attractive residues—not something you want on the surface of your Gore-Tex fabric. A mild powered detergent, such as  "Dreft"  is acceptable if thoroughly rinsed.  (Absolutely NO "Ivory Snow"  or Woolite—they are loaded with wate-attractive residues).

Do NOT use a liquid detergent on Gore-Tex fabric. It leaves a residue, which clogs the pores of the Gore-Tex and causes leakage. If the garment is non-Gore-Tex it is okay.

Never use all hot water or all cold water on Gore-Tex. Always use a warm wash and a warm rinse. It is extremely important to rinse the garment well. We recommend two rinse cycles or wash it once with detergent and again without.

Dry in dryer on LOW heat, at the end of the drying cycle, you may increase the heat to WARM and dry for an additional 15 minutes. This will remove some of the wrinkles from the fabric. Remove at once; do not allow the garment to remain in the dryer (it may cause burns on the fabric if it sits on the hot metal).

You may use a spot cleaner to remove stubborn spots before washing. Granger's G_Wash Spray Cleaner Plus works well.  W.L. Gore is also comfortable recommending "Spray & Wash" or "Shout".

If necessary, grease can be spot cleaned at the dry cleaners and then sprayed with any non-silicone spray (z-pel) - but do NOT dry clean the whole garment.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Senior

:D Stonewall u funny, I bought it used, no label,  I looked first before posting.. ;D
;) Thanks SARADDICT.

lordmonar

I got one at home....give me a while and I check my lable for care instructions.  I will post in a couple of hours.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

wingnut55

Yes Be very careful you do not, I repeat "DONOT" washout the IR absorption material embedded on the Cloth if you do The  Russian Tanks may be able to see you through their IR scopes and they will shoot you or run you over.

You must be able to survive the first wave of assault vehicles so you can "Pop Up" and shoot the tank in its vulnerable 'Rear End" using a "Laws" antitank weapon.

Sorry! this was my imbeded Army training covering Gortex washing when I was with F troop. 

Senior

Wingnut, I KNEW IT!, I did receive something with my Senior Packet about
fighting the Russians.  I disregarded that info.  I thought it was sent incorrectly through CAP channels.  It was supposed to go to the Boy Scouts
of course, everyone knows that! :) ;)
Thanks for all the help though,seriously.
Good day and have a good new year. ;D