Orange Survival Vest for Ground Teams

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2008, 03:39:21 AM

Stonewall

I thought I remember seeing something like this on CAP Talk before, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

I can't see myself buying this, but this is actually practical for CAP Ground Team use and it comes in "Hunter Orange".

Here's the linky.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Looks sweet - I'd really like to see what the orange one looks like.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I may see if they'll send me one to T&E (Test & Evaluate).  Sometimes, I'd say about 60% of the time, they let you keep it if they believe you will do business with them.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I think I posted it before but I was using a Ferno Responder II vest which kinda looks like that one.

Mine is red with the reflective striping on the front and back.  It's got a zipper in the front which hasn't jammed yet and a large pocket in the back.  It's pretty darn comfortable in the summertime and seems pretty durable.  I don't really like the strapping they have on the sides but then again, we can't have it all now can we?

isuhawkeye

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4589.20

you are correct.  these vests have been discussed in the past.  enjoy

winterg

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2008, 03:39:21 AM
I thought I remember seeing something like this on CAP Talk before, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

I can't see myself buying this, but this is actually practical for CAP Ground Team use and it comes in "Hunter Orange".

Here's the linky.

I actually own one of these in hunter orange that I bought for CAP.

While I like the design somewhat there are several features about it I don't.

The first major problem I found was that the standard size it comes in does not accomodate anyone under 6'2".  I rigged it as short as I could and the bottom was still half way down my but.  I modded it as best as I was able but it did not help overly much.

The pouches are set up nice and the map pocket inside is handy but the system as a whole is rather bulky.

I do however like the set up for the canteens above the belt under the arms.  They ride nicely.

After I wore it for an hour the first time I realized that the vest was also designed for someone with a neck that was 6 inches around and was not pleasant overall to wear.

I also could have done without the orange signal flap that comes out of the back portion! lol

Oh yeah, no place for pens!!!!! That was rather distressing.

Just my .02 cents.

Stonewall

Good review.  I like hearing from people who have actually put "hands on" and tested this stuff.
Serving since 1987.

winterg

I may have some good news very soon on the orange MOLLE project as well...........

Keep your fingers crossed.

es_g0d

I'm glad we're thinking in terms of high visibility for our operations!  I hope all would agree that its a must.  Honestly, if we had a good distribution system in place, there's no reason why CAP couldn't contract for a piece of equipment such as this customized to our purposes.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

winterg

This is what I am hoping we can get in hi-vis orange.  Then everyone would have the option of loading it out however they see fit.

http://www.marsgear.com/product.php?pid=9

JayT

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 29, 2008, 04:04:07 AM
I think I posted it before but I was using a Ferno Responder II vest which kinda looks like that one.

Mine is red with the reflective striping on the front and back.  It's got a zipper in the front which hasn't jammed yet and a large pocket in the back.  It's pretty darn comfortable in the summertime and seems pretty durable.  I don't really like the strapping they have on the sides but then again, we can't have it all now can we?

I see the buffs and some of the vollys out here rocking those, how do they work for CAP stuff?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Capt M. Sherrod

I use the Ferno vest for all of my UDF gear and most of my 24Hr gear.  I augment it with a camelback and webbelt with 2 pouches from Gear911 for the rest of the 24Hr gear.  All of it is in RED for visibility purposes. 

We are trying to find someone not blend in with the forest after all   ::)   ;D

-- I'll try to add pictures of my load out later...
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Trouble

Quote from: JThemann on February 19, 2009, 02:40:11 PM
Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 29, 2008, 04:04:07 AM

I see the buffs and some of the vollys out here rocking those, how do they work for CAP stuff?

I have one in RED. Over all it works fine, I was not happy with the quality or design of the radio carrier, and there was no distribution of weight to the hips, all the weight ends up in front and pulling down.  While not bad for a light load, defiantly not going to totally replace your 24 hour pack.

I have moved to running a 30 Lt. Kigali Patrol pack and 5.11 mini chest rig (set up as a radio harness with a few extra pockets).  Its light weight, Hi-viz as it does not interfere with the Safety vest, distributes the load well, while keeping the mission essential items up front and accessible.

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

MikeD

Quote from: winterg on February 19, 2009, 03:19:57 AM
I may have some good news very soon on the orange MOLLE project as well...........

Any word on this?  It's been about a year, so I'm pessimistic but it'd be a great thing to have.

winterg

Quote from: MikeD on January 19, 2010, 12:54:40 AM
Quote from: winterg on February 19, 2009, 03:19:57 AM

Any word on this?  It's been about a year, so I'm pessimistic but it'd be a great thing to have.

Nope.  No word at all, since I left CAP. Sorry.  :(