New blue Nomex flight suit

Started by dbaran, December 07, 2008, 01:07:22 AM

dbaran

With the March, 2009 phaseout of the smurf (ultramarine) flight suit coming up, has anyone found a good source for the new dark blue one? 

My experience with the smurf suit from Vanguard was that the material resembled a Kleenex for thickness, and spending another $250 for one from them would not be a first choice.  Flightsuits.com has a 6.5 oz Nomex one for about the same price.

And has there been any discussion of a volume purchase for them ... given the number of beards in my Group alone, you'd think that there are going to be a lot of them purchased in the near future.

Any recommendations?

bosshawk

I can't help you with an alternate source for the blue flight suit, but I can tell you that the quality of the one from Vanguard is pretty high.  I have seen about a half dozen and they all looked pretty good.  I have a very good friend with one and he is happy as a clam.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: dbaran on December 07, 2008, 01:07:22 AM
My experience with the smurf suit from Vanguard was that the material resembled a Kleenex for thickness, and spending another $250 for one from them would not be a first choice.

That's the same thickness as the one's I was issued in the military. Nothing wrong with it.

AlphaSigOU

Don't get one confused with the other - there is a (nearly) identical dark blue utility uniform that's cotton and not Nomex that sells for about $40.00 at Vanguard. It looks like a cheap knockoff of the flight suit. The blue Nomex flight suit sold at Vanguard is the real deal.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: dbaran on December 07, 2008, 01:07:22 AM
With the March, 2009 phaseout of the smurf (ultramarine) flight suit coming up, has anyone found a good source for the new dark blue one? 

My experience with the smurf suit from Vanguard was that the material resembled a Kleenex for thickness, and spending another $250 for one from them would not be a first choice.  Flightsuits.com has a 6.5 oz Nomex one for about the same price.

Just the sake of clarification (and to avoid anyone pulling out a Smurf suit and trying to wear it again until next year).

The light blue Nomex flight suit has never been referred to as the "Smurf Suit".

The "Smuf Suit" was a short-sleeved utility jumper:

Vanguard has never carried either the Utility Jumper or the light blue Nomex.

There are any number of retail and online sources besides Vanguard for a flight suit, but Nomex is expensive - you're likely not going to see it cheaper than $150 for "normal" sizes (more for tall, etc.), and dark blue is harder to find.

The dark blue utility uniform in pretty thin, but I personally like it, and it was cheap - makes great uniform for a go kit.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

What is the new url for what was flightsuits.com?  They should have it.
Mike Johnston

ol'fido

Unless you actually need  Nomex, try the cotton flight suits at U.S. Cavalry Store. Look and feel like the Nomex ones. Approx. $40 ea.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

blackrain

I meet height and weight standards but I went ahead and bought the 6.5 oz Nomex Navy Blue suit from Gibson and Barnes (formerly Flightsuits Ltd). It definitely wasn't cheap. I've flown a couple of times with it and I'm happy with it. The heavier material resists wrinkles and the heavy duty zippered pockets do well holding my smaller items while flying. Definitely warmer but well made. I can see nomex of some sort to become required equipment at some point so I decided to go first class.  :)
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Rob Sherlin

I tend to think (no matter what the color), there is a difference between the suits for a reason. I know there's "flight suits" out there for about $40 or so, but you're not going to find "Nomex" for that price. Once again (for you regulation guys), There's nothing stating you have to wear Nomex, it just states the color flight suit and what to wear with it as far as rank, patches, where they go and such. Nomex has a certain advantages (especialy if your dealing with fire), that others don't have.
   So, I would tend to think it all matters to the individual. You do a lot of flying and are concerned about safety, you spend the money and get the "Nomex" blues and prey they don't change the colors again for a bit, or you buy the cheaper ones and take the risk.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Eclipse

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on December 08, 2008, 02:53:46 AMOnce again (for you regulation guys), There's nothing stating you have to wear Nomex,

CAWG requires Nomex for aircrews.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rob Sherlin

I guess I stand corrected...Thank You.

I would consider the other ones (even if they match and are sold as flight suits..."utility uniforms")
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

afgeo4

Is the USCG blue nomex flightsuit acceptable?
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

O-Rex

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 08, 2008, 05:14:49 AM
Is the USCG blue nomex flightsuit acceptable?

NO!!!

The USCG flightsuit is royal blue, the CAP flightsuit is navy blue

Aureus International sells blue nomex flightsuits for $195: the quality is fantastic-I daresay it's made better even better than green bags.  Watch sizing, they run a bit small.

teesquared

I believe the flight suit being phased out in Mar 2009 is the Royal Blue flight suit, not the Smurf suit. The Smurf was phased out several years ago. The Royal Blue was a Nomex suit (I have one).
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Eclipse

The flightsuit being phased on in Mar 2009 is the one on the right below...

"That Others May Zoom"

teesquared

Quote[The flightsuit being phased on in Mar 2009 is the one on the right below...

Correct.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Duke Dillio

^^^  Please tell me someone didn't spend money for a leather nametag that says "Mission Scanner" on it...  I know the leather tape is required but dang......

Eclipse

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 13, 2008, 06:35:25 AM
^^^  Please tell me someone didn't spend money for a leather nametag that says "Mission Scanner" on it...  I know the leather tape is required but dang......

Yes, that someone would be me - your aeronautical rating is supposed to be on there, and since at the time they did not make the GBD badges, and there is no insignia for Scanner, that's the correct way to do it.

Not saying its not tore up, but its correct.

My tag no longer looks like that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

It wasn't anything personal.  I just hate to see people have to throw money away.  I guess if you just wanted to stop at Scanner, there isn't much of an issue but most people I know try to move out of Scanner to MP or MO.  I do like that light blue though...