CAPWATCH Downloads for Unit Roster

Started by 1730614cfii, March 12, 2006, 09:25:27 PM

1730614cfii

I would like to be able to print a monthly squadron roster using the information in CAPWATCH.  The CAPWATCH download is in the form of multiple Microsoft Access databases.  I've tried using the Access "Report Wizard" to generate a roster, but the resulting report takes nearly 100 pages of paper, because the wizard will not format the reports efficiently.  The report can be exported to a word processor, but it would take an inordinate amount of work to compact it.  Has anyone been able to design an Access report form that will generate a useful roster?

shorning

You should look into using SIMS.  I think it just might fit the need you have.

SarDragon

When you get a CAPWATCH download, there are two primary files in the Zip archive - caprpt.MDB and Capwatch.mdb. Open the caprpt.MDB in Access, and then you will have easily usable reports. You may have to tell it where the other file is, but that's not a big issue.

This will give you the following reports:

Senior MML
Cadet MML
PDR
Senior Member Detail
Cadet Detail
Squadron Roster

and some other useful things like labels.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: shorning on March 12, 2006, 11:13:17 PM
You should look into using SIMS.  I think it just might fit the need you have.

By the by, I've just started looking at SIMS.  There are others here that are smarter on it than I am.  However, from what I've seen so far, it will do the same things that Dave mentions above.  It's up to you which you prefer to use.

1730614cfii

Steve & Dave,  Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that SIMS existed, but SIMS will indeed serve my purpose!  Thanks again, Bill

Pylon

Quote from: 1730614cfii on March 13, 2006, 11:53:38 AM
Steve & Dave,  Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that SIMS existed, but SIMS will indeed serve my purpose!  Thanks again, Bill

Yes, I'd definitely recommend SIMS also.  It has so many great features.  You can also print off "Birthday Rosters" for the squadron that lists all the birthdays for the year, grouped by month.  Very handy to post in the office, and glance up to see if anybody has a birthday that week.   SIMS pulls the birthday data right from CAPWatch.

It manages Cadet Progression, PT scoring, ML attendance, meeting attendance, ES qualifications, staff assignment history, and a myriad of other helpful data and has a lot of pre-structured reports that make the SQ/DA's job a lot easier.  Even as a CDCP, I find SIMS very, very handy.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get it up and running.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP