Encampment Packing Lists

Started by Stonewall, November 18, 2008, 01:47:50 PM

Stonewall

I was just looking at the FLWG Winter Encampment website, which is very well done by the way, and it got me thinking when I looked at the packing list.

I have always noticed mimimum requirements being far above what the CAP minimum standard is for cadets.  For instance, the encampment requires at least two sets of BDUs and two sets of blues (short-sleeve).  How many doolie cadets have this?  Except for the lifer cadets, usually officers or senior NCOs, how many junior cadets have more than one pair of each?  Especially since a majority of encampment attendees are newer, younger, and first timers.

In 1987 at Tyndall AFB I brought one blues and one fatigue uniform.  Didn't bother me and no one else seemed to care.  I don't know if I even washed it.  Honestly, I don't recall washing facilities there.

Is this a realistic expectation or is it one of those "bring this many, but we'll accept anything" policies?
Serving since 1987.

Maj Ballard

I've seen cadets arrive at encampment without a uniform, period. I've seen others arrive sans nametapes or grade insignia. In those instances, I fault the unit commander who approved that cadet's application (and readiness) to attend.

With that said, *technically* we can't even require BDUs, since the "minimum basic uniform" is the short sleeve service uniform. It's always been a bit troublesome to me to require "doolies"/basics to wear brown t-shirts (specifically), since these are increasingly hard to come by, especially for cadets nowhere near a military base.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Eclipse

I've seen too much of that as well - considering that minimum grade to attend an encampment is Curry, and Curry requires a proper uniform, it amazes me that cadets show up so woefully unprepared.

I've gotten pretty good with Photoshop for nametapes and nametags.

As to the BDU "requirement" question - its never been an issue in the 7 years I've been involved with encampments, but comes up in conversation each year.

We issue 2 t-shirts, so that's a non-issue, though I don't agree the browns are getting hard to come by.  I also don't believe a encampment cc can require one color over another when both black and brown are approved (unless they are issuing them as many do).

Common sense would say that the average cadet cannot wear the same clothes, especially in a hot, active, summer environment, for an entire week - there's hygiene issues to be aware of if nothing else.  Encampment is the time to step things up and get your act together, and if that means having to buy/beg/borrow another set of BDU's, so be it. 

With that said, I have never turned away a cadet because of uniform problems - the encampment is one place to get those squared away, and I've amassed a pretty good pile of "leavings" in the form of hats, belts, etc., to give to those who "forgot".

I also have the advantage of two weekends vs. a week, so even for the really messy ones, its two days and you're home.

A brand-new doolies cadet is going to get more slack than a diamond who I know has spent $300 on ABU's for paintball but can't be bothered to buy the proper outerwear.

Our equipment list indicates that for cadets who do not have proper outerwear, at a minimum they should use common sense and choose jackets in subdued colors so as to not attract attention to their violations.  Despite this we get cadets every year in bright-colored "bratz-style" jackets with fur collars, glitter, and all manner of silliness.  In a lot of cases those cadets are "promoted" because of seniors giving up their jackets. (and as a funny sidebar, some of them troll salutes in the seniors' jackets - amazing!)

In answer to the original question, there's little choice but to indicate the requirements and then look the other way, since by reg we can't actually require anything (for cadets), that isn't issued to them beyond the basic service uniform.  I would say, though, that by the same token, it is not specifically the encampment's responsibility to provide the gear or clothing, and if you send your kid to a midwestern encampment in April without the proper clothing, there's some parental common sense that needs to be addressed.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I'd argue that participation in an encampment is not manditory...  It's only "required" if you want to progress past phase II.  Can't meet the requirements for an optional actvity... Don't come.
Mike Johnston

SWASH

You can relate being in CAP as being a living, breathing human.  In that sense you can then relate Encampment to School.  Sure, everybody has the right to attend school, but to do it they have to spend money of school supplies.  Sure, every cadet has the right to attend encampment, but to do it they  have to spend money on encampment supplies.  Obviously this is not the best analagy because not everyone has money for school supplies, but... you get my point.

Now as I look at my FLWG equipment list I see that the "minimum" is 2 blues.  That is pretty odd... 

This year we have to bring our own linens.  I don't give 2 cents about brinign white sheets, but this year no green sheets will be provided for bunk making.  That is a big issue as a 12 year old girl (heck, even boy) could bring her Hannah Montanna blanket.  This will almost rob cadets of encampment by not having these simple green sheets.  But then again, we have to make with what we have....
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

MIKE

Say plain dark blanket then... That's what MAWG has done... plain unfitted linens/sheets etc.  I always brought my OD U.S. blanket for looks, and my poncho liner for actual use as a blanket.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Green sheets?  Like really "green"?

Why are they green?

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I think it's a bad state when cadets have to bring their own linen to a Type A encampment...

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Its seems a bit odd, but by the same token somebody's gotta provide them and wash them, and the stuff ain't free.

Again we're incredibly fortunate regarding our Navy hosts - last year we had ~130 people using a rack -
that's 130+ blankets, 260+ sheets, and 130+ pillows with cases.

The RTC can absorb that laundry without a blink, but for some bases that aren't normally "residential" (such as many of the guard facilities used by CAP), where's that going to come from?

I'd say if the participants have to bring linens, then sleeping bags should be a valid option, but those are real hard to get into hospital corners, and the rack inspections are such a big part of the experience for a lot of cadets.

Again, are they actually "green"?  Every base I've ever stayed on had white sheets and gray wool blankets w/ the "US" on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

JAFO78

^^^ They are green if they have not been washed with bleach.^^^^^

Gross I know, but hey its early yet.

>:D
JAFO

SWASH

By green I meant the wool blanket. The sheets are still white. And out of the three encampments I've gone to only one had laundry equipment for us to use, and with it we only washed PT cloths.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

Stonewall

Who needs to wash sheets more than once a week anyway?  In basic training we exchanged linen once a week, and trust me, we weren't the cleanest folks in the world.

Serving since 1987.

CadetProgramGuy

For the NCR encampments in Iowa, we always drew linen from supply, then turned everything back in at the end of the week.  No washing of linen was involved.

Pingree1492

Quote from: SWASH on November 18, 2008, 10:44:07 PM
This will almost rob cadets of encampment by not having these simple green sheets. 

Granted, I've never been to the particular encampment you're talking about, and every one is a little bit different... but how will not having sheets, or having a "Hannah Montana" blanket rob a cadet of encampment?  Isn't there a little bit more to the whole week other than making your bed and dorm maintenance?   ???

On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Stonewall

Quote from: Pingree1492 on November 20, 2008, 01:36:07 AM
Quote from: SWASH on November 18, 2008, 10:44:07 PM
This will almost rob cadets of encampment by not having these simple green sheets. 

Granted, I've never been to the particular encampment you're talking about, and every one is a little bit different... but how will not having sheets, or having a "Hannah Montana" blanket rob a cadet of encampment?  Isn't there a little bit more to the whole week other than making your bed and dorm maintenance? 

You know, one would think that such a small part of encampment would be irrelevant, but I think it's a huge part of encampment.  When I was a cadet and preparing for encampment with my Flight Sergeant, he stressed the importance of a tight bunk, perfectly arranged drawers and having my shoes placed in the exact spot.

CAP encampments are not supposed to be fun in the sun summer camps for kids to frolic and play; it's a rite of passage of sorts.  And while encampments are inteded to be fun, the fun isn't always realized until after the fact.  In short, it's the small things that make an encampment.  We watched a drone launch and get shot down by an F-15,  we had cool briefings by Vietnam era PJs and rescue pilots, "live fire" exercises with crash rescue and obstacle courses.  But it was the daily activities such as room and uniform inspections, standing in the chow line being asked memorization requirements and being held accountable for everything.  To me, that's what encampment is all about.  The other stuff is just a bonus.

And yes, I said encampment is a rite of passage.
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

Not having the proper sheets or blanket will result in that cadet being gigged in every inspection therefore it will reflect badly on the entire flight since they are a team and when one fails they all fail.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on November 20, 2008, 02:14:41 AM
And yes, I said encampment is a right of passage.

I agree 100% and sadly a lot of encampments have forgotten that for the sake of being more inclusive or political correctness.

Its not BMT, not even close, but it is supposed to be an "outside your comfort zone experience" that forces you to
suck it up a little and experience the "real world" where not every rule and reg is loosened to insure no one's feeling are hurt.

Not every one gets a trophy, there are wrong answers, and sometimes its ok to be in the middle of the pack.

To some extent the above should apply for the seniors involved as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2008, 02:57:33 AMIts not BMT, not even close,

I disagree.  I have been to Basic Training and encampment as a doolie.

CAP Encampment: Marching, inspections, chow hall, chow lines, sleeping in a bunk, having to make that bunk, ironing uniforms, PT, being in a flight with element leaders, flight sergeants and "brass" walking around; customs & courtesies, briefings and uniforms.

Army Basic Training:  Marching, inspections, chow hall, chow lines, sleeping in a bunk, having to make that bunk, ironing unfiroms, PT, being in a platoon with squad leaders, drill sergeants and "brass" walking around; customs & courtesies, briefings and uniforms....plus all the combat related training.

Looks pretty similar to me.

My wife went to AF BMT and she pretty much agrees that AF BMT is a helluva lot more like a CAP encampment than Army Basic Training.  They even have 341s at AF BMT, just like I had at my encampments.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: NCO forever on November 20, 2008, 02:29:58 AM
Not having the proper sheets or blanket will result in that cadet being gigged in every inspection therefore it will reflect badly on the entire flight since they are a team and when one fails they all fail.

You can't gig someone if they weren't issued the right sheets.  There is only one thing mandatory in CAP as far as uniforms and equipment and that's the short-sleeve blues uniform with flight cap, belt, shoes.
Serving since 1987.

LtCol057

Out of 9 encampments I've been to, we've had sheets at 2. rest of the time we've used sleeping bags.  Forgot, we did use sheets at Blue Beret. But where we've used sleeping bags, every morning we rolled or folded them up to the head end of the cot.   Of the 2 places we used sheets, one we had maid service so every other day we had fresh sheets. The other place, I had a private room because I was on Senior Staff and my room was on a floor that was off limits to cadets.