Main Menu

Vanguard ???

Started by Major_Chuck, March 03, 2006, 07:45:14 PM

Becks

took them about a week and a half to get my name patch for my flight suit to me.  Not great shipping time, but not bad either.

BBATW

arajca

It took a month (ordered 6 Feb, rec'd 6 Mar) for standard,non-customized stuff. Very not good fulfillment time.

Pumbaa

I'm finding this whole uniform thing a joke.

Here I am new to CAP and I am having a bear of a time getting uniforms...  I ordered from Hock nearly 4 weeks ago..  He never confirmed my order.. I emailed.. no response.. finally called he said it would be 2-3 weeks.. now nearly 4 weeks I email again.. no answer.. I found BDU's on ebay and ordered them.. had them in a few days, no patches though.  My CApt did get me a name tape so that is on.  I rolled my sleeves so you dont know I dont have patches.. Still waiting for my BDU's from Hock...  Think I may cancel it.

Got Nomex off ebay for $31 shipped.. Now I need patches for it.. Was going to get them from Vangaurd, but their site bites the bongos..  CAn't find what I need..  Wanted to get blues, but the heck with it, ordered an aviator shirt from a link here think it was a yahoo store.. ordered Sunday got it Monday!   and got some grey slacks from JC Pennies.. Problem is no shoulder boards, etc.....

So how am I expected to get into a uniform when the stores stink?

Frustrating indeed...

Pace

Well, I blame this one whole-heartedly on NHQ.  It was bad enough to just dump all of this on Vanguard (a very reputable company) without massive prior coordination to set of the logistics of the operation before the transfer.  To add weight to a system that is just now barely standing on its own feet, NHQ is creating new uniforms for them to sell and phasing out uniforms Vanguard just purchased from CAPMart.  It's too much of an overload.  Give it no more than 6 months and things should be back up to speed.
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

All this has got to be hard on new members, though, just as SM Fairchild said.  No good place at the moment to get uniforms/uniform items and tons of new uniform changes comming out from NHQ.  If I was just joining, it would almost scare me away. :-\
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Pumbaa

C/SMSgt you are right on...  I try real hard to not let it effect my mindset towards CAP.

Here I get a nomex flight suit.. and now the color changes...  I get grey pants with aviator... well now pant color will change.. thankfully I have been unable to buy the grey shoulder boards for it.. guess I am luckyI can buy any ;)  At least there is a phase out period, so I can wear them for a while I guess...

I just filed a claim against my Hock order.. I mean they had no problem taking my $100+ in a flash, but now I can't get through on the phone and my emails are not being replied too. 4 weeks is TOTALLY unreasonable for an order...  Not good business.

Does anyone have a regular shoulder patch US flag?  One for my Nomex?  And where can I get one with velcro or do I have to sew it that on myself? Found my State Patch, leather name on Vanguard but no flag!

Hope I am not coming across as a whiner, but man this really does take the wind out of the sails!  ooops sorry.. I live in a lake region.. bad analogy on an aircraft oriented board ;)  Sure takes the lift off the wings...

arajca

A source for nametapes, CAP tapes, flags - both styles - that I have had good luck with is www.1800nametape.com. I placed an order with them on Monday, had my stuff by Thursday. They sent one wrong badge (not CAP related) and I had the correct one two days after I called. They also make nameplates (the grey and blue three line and the AF brushed metal).

shorning

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 19, 2006, 12:22:37 AM
Here I get a nomex flight suit.. and now the color changes...

Is your flightsuit green or blue?  If it's green, I haven't heard of a phase out date for them.  They should be good...for a while any way.

Pylon

I went to order the new two-line nameplate from Vanguard, since I was told they were already shipping them.  They are -- but they want several bucks for the nameplate, and $7 in postage costs to send me the single nameplate... standard ground shipping.  The guy on the phone thought that was pretty reasonable, too.  Twice the price of the nameplate to ship it... heh.

:P  And here I thought that nobody could have outrageous shipping prices like CAPMart did.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

md132

Defending The Hock shop.  Tom has been backed up since CAPMart sudden closure.  I suggest you be patient with him.  Vanguard's time for CAP items sucks.  Takes a week just for processing and they don't even tell you if an item is backordered until items are recieved.  For any AF-style uniform items best bet is AFMCSS.  Army MCSS is slowly phasing out BDU's.  You can get the Blue Field uniform at Sunny's.  Got my for a total of $60.00.  Not too bad. 

The Hock shop will probably be backed up for a while.  Since I believe CAP members will use him more than ever.  Vanguard was just not equipped to handle this load.  They would refer USAF personnel to AAFES for their nameplates.  They only thing that I actually bought from them was my SDF unit crest till they stopped selling it.  So I would have to travel 2 hours just to get unit crest.  I was never really happy with Vandguard.  They don't even have the books for new Seniors and new Cadets.  At least I haven't seen them. 

arajca

Does anyone have the specs for the new nameplate? plate size, font, font size, exact wording? If so, could you post it here?

Thanks.

Nick

I haven't seen any official specs, but it appears to be the same as the existing 3-line nameplate except dropping the second (USAFA) line.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

shorning

I have to wonder why we just didn't go back to the blue 3-line nametags.  I mean, we already had those being made. ???

Nick

...and I know I held onto mine from my cadet days for a reason.  [darnit], I'd like to actually use it for once.

On an off-topic... Steve, go to sleep man.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Pumbaa

Well thanks for putting me a little at ease ;)

I have the sage green nomex, I got lucky and got one that is a perfect fit and new shape off ebay for $31 shipped.  I've seen that style/ color going for over $50! too.. another website offers used for $75 or so.. This auction happened to end around 9 am, which is a great time to get the deals!  Not a lot of bidders! Now to find the proper cap to go with the sage green nomex...

I've been finding a lot of overpriced stuff, but I have been trying to be careful.  I got winter weight BDU's for $19 (pants and shirt), although used it was never worn, nice and stiff and clean, had to remove some patches. I have black tactical combat boots, that I wear when I am doing combat handgun competitions, 10 years old, but they polish up great, look nearly new and fit and feel great.

Since you guys have confidence in the Hock, then I'll sit back and try and relax. I ordered summer weight BDU's from him and my patches. 

I think I am going to try and get hooked up with AAFES for my blues and anything else then.  I saw a post somewhere with detailed instructions on calling and getting set up with AAFES, now to dig that up.

At least I will know better how to do this as I have to get uniforms for my 13 y/o daughter who just joined CAP.

BillB

You may have problems with The Hock. Tom has had problems getting CAP items of late. I ordered a bunch of items, all of which he had in stock plus a set of Mess dress shoulderboards. The order is ready to ship except for the shoulderboards which he has to get from Vanguard as the ONLY source. And if you look at Vanguards online listing all shoulderboards are 2LT with other rank superimposed. CAPMart had these for each rank with the rank embrodered on.
Some items The Hock offers are shipped the next day such as name tags or name tapes. But if they come from Vanguard, may take several weeks, It depends what the source is to determine how long it takes to get insignia or uniform items.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pumbaa

Now that is a shame that the Hock has to order from the same place we also have trouble with...

Would seem that someone with an entrepreneurial spirit would be thinking about doing something... if possible... Create a source that is quality and consistant.  I mean there is a rather captive audience in regards to CAP uniforms, etc...

They say necessity is the mother of invention... will be interesting to say the least.

shorning

Nah, Nick, I'm in Hawaii.  So for most of you, I'm up a little later.  But more importantly, I'm a shift worker.  12-hour shifts, 3-on/3-off, rotating days and nights every set of two shifts.  NIPR is just one of the networks I'm required to use in my job.  So I troll CAP Talk and CadetStuff in between other tasks.  Lucky me, I have the night shift this weekend.

I need a life... ;)

arajca

Quote from: shorning on March 19, 2006, 10:53:59 AM
I have to wonder why we just didn't go back to the blue 3-line nametags.  I mean, we already had those being made. ???
Probably because they had USAF on them.

BillB

What regulation authorizes CAP LTCol's to have a life. I've never found it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104