Main Menu

Vanguard ???

Started by Major_Chuck, March 03, 2006, 07:45:14 PM

Major_Chuck

Has anyone had any problems with Vanguard when attempting to order from them.  I'm using them for the first time and I've had an order pending/awaiting confirmation from my credit card company for the last four days.

Of course, called Customer Service and was put on hold/death watch.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

arajca

4 days. That's nothing. My order is still pending/awaiting confirmation after being placed on 6 Feb 2006.

It's my first order with them, and probably my last.

Major_Chuck

So it's not me then.  Hock Shop here I come.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

I had some problems with my order.  The order was still showing "pending" after I received the majority of it.  A uniform shirt was on back order, but nothing listed it as such.  They sent me the wrong size pants.  Also, their nametapes look a little scrunched together to me.  My other CAP ones and AF ones space my name out over 2½ inches.  Vanguard's were only 2 inches wide.  May not sound significant, but the characters and spacing doesn't match the CAP tapes they are selling (which are CAPMarts old stock). 

It took a while (5-7 days?) to get their approval to return the pants.  I'm still waiting for them to send me the right ones.  Meanwhile, it's still showing as "pending".  It appears that their system is manually updated.

If Vanguard is going to do the job, they need more customer service staff and their website needs to be more than an online catalog.  I think they are just realizing the burden that CAP orders are going to put on their company.  I hope they are ramping up to meet the challenge.  According to NHQ's website: 

QuoteTo help ensure you the best service possible, NHQ and Vanguard Industries are holding teleconferences the first Wednesday of each month. If you experience any difficulties or have suggestions to improve service, please e-mail them at cap@vanguardmil.com or contact our NHQ POC, Rita LaBarre at rlabarre@cap.gov or contact Membership Services at (877) 227-9142.

Personally, I'd say CAPMart did a better job.  Personally, I never had any problems with them.  To me, Vanguard isn't any better or worse, just different.  The Hock Shop isn't an option for me.  Something from years ago (I don't remember exactly what), but I won't order from them. 

YMMV...

Major_Chuck

Unfortunately there are a few CAP specific items that I haven't been able to locate outside of Vanguard/CAPMart that forces me to use them or the Hock Shop. 

Regimental Tie, Safety Patch, Senior Safety Badge, Major Epaulets.  It's not like I ordered anything that is unique where they have to go and make it by hand. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

You weren't able to find those items on Vanguard's website? Here's what I found:

CAP0977F           REGIMENTAL TIE 4-IN-HAND

CAP0640             SAFETY PATCH

CAP0757A           SAFETY OFFICER BADGE SENIOR

CAP0747BA         GREY MAJOR EPAULETS    

Keep in mind that if you checked early on, they were still adding products to the site.  They updated it quite a bit in the first week.

Major_Chuck

Sorry, a little confusing the way I wrote that.  Those are the few common things I ordered.  You would think that they had them available and ready for shipment.

Quote from: shorning on March 03, 2006, 10:32:39 PM
You weren't able to find those items on Vanguard's website? Here's what I found:

CAP0977F           REGIMENTAL TIE 4-IN-HAND

CAP0640             SAFETY PATCH

CAP0757A           SAFETY OFFICER BADGE SENIOR

CAP0747BA         GREY MAJOR EPAULETS    

Keep in mind that if you checked early on, they were still adding products to the site.  They updated it quite a bit in the first week.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 04, 2006, 01:29:02 AM
Sorry, a little confusing the way I wrote that.  Those are the few common things I ordered.  You would think that they had them available and ready for shipment.

I would have thought the same of CAPMart.  The problem is that they were transferring product from CAPMart to Vanguard.  That and the fact that Vanguard doesn't show you what's out of stock or on back order.

Pylon

I've had several orders in for my squadron to both Vanguard and The Hock.  Both have been "pending" for almost a month, now.  I tried to acquire certain uniform accessories to ensure all my cadets would be in proper uniform for a C-130 orientation flight in March, but it doesn't look like it will all arrive in time.

My Admin Officer called tonight to say that one of the Vanguard orders for the unit arrived, but only about half of the items came.

This whole sudden shift to Vanguard has totally screwed up all of CAP's supply sources.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

I'm begining to get nervous - my order has been waiting for over 2-weeks, and twice I have been promised "soon", and "will call you back to confirm".

Nothing yet, and my need date is approaching.
I know some have had no issue...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major_Chuck

Okay.  I just fired off an email to Rita Labarre at NHQ complaining about Vanguard and their lack of response.

To help ensure you the best service possible, NHQ and Vanguard Industries are holding teleconferences the first Wednesday of each month. If you experience any difficulties or have suggestions to improve service, please e-mail them at cap@vanguardmil.com or contact our NHQ POC, Rita LaBarre at rlabarre@cap.gov or contact Membership Services at (877) 227-9142.

Whatever response I get I will post.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2006, 04:18:38 AM
I'm begining to get nervous - my order has been waiting for over 2-weeks, and twice I have been promised "soon", and "will call you back to confirm".

I'd make alternate arrangements.  I was told that a few times and I'm still waiting for my order to be fulfilled.  Too bad I opted for the BBDUs.  I could have gone to clothing sales and had woodlands setup by now.

Major_Chuck

I ended up getting the "BBDU's" at a store that supplies police departments.  I've found procuring items outside the "Official CAP" Sources tend to work the best.  Unfortunately some of the more CAP specific items is what holds everything up.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 05, 2006, 02:44:02 AM
I ended up getting the "BBDU's" at a store that supplies police departments.  I've found procuring items outside the "Official CAP" Sources tend to work the best.  Unfortunately some of the more CAP specific items is what holds everything up.

I thought about seeing if I could buy them through the USCG here.  I don't think local uniform shops would have had anything.  I would have had to order from somewhere on the mainland.  Unfortunately, the shipping makes one source just as bad as another.

Next time I'll reconsider where I buy my uniforms from.  In addition, I'm going to keep a stock of things that I might need.  But then, I always have the golf shirt to fall back on.

MIKE

ODU shirts are tuck in... Not the same as the BFU.
Mike Johnston

Slim

Quote from: MIKE on March 05, 2006, 03:47:51 AM

They're also a lighter shade of blue.  But then again, if there is an MSST or LEDET in the area, they might be wearing navy blue BDUs still.  Although I thought I saw an ALCOAST that eliminated them when the ODUs started flowing out from Cape May.

Actually, every set I've bought came from either a local surplus store (three  sets) or Galls (one set).  As much as I despise surplus stores, the difference in the cost more than made up for the fact that I didn't have to wait until they were shipped, and I knew I got the right thing.  Cop shops are another good source.

Slim

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on March 05, 2006, 03:47:51 AM

Which is ultimately what stopped me.

tomcat

Placed a larger order from Vanguard for our entire squadron, about 20 items. Got them in 3 different shipments. Still items missing. Others sent more than ordered. Nametags screwed up. I am not quite happy to say the least. No response to e-mails or phone calls since Monday. Will alert my CC company on Monday and get my money back.
Markus C. Decker, 1st Lt, CAP

lordmonar

Remember that VANGUARD is was not really geared for retail sales.  They are probably still learning how to do one up orders.

I personally have always liked the Hock Shop better even if their prices were a little higher.  The told you right away if they had to back order and shipped pretty fast.

YMMV
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on March 18, 2006, 08:31:43 AM
Remember that VANGUARD is was not really geared for retail sales.  They are probably still learning how to do one up orders.

Vanguard has been doing small sales for a while.  That's why they have and entire site devoted to military stuff. 

Unfortunatley, it doesn't appear that they were ready for the work load required to support CAP.  It seems they were more in tune with the occasionaly order.