Main Menu

Your Gear

Started by JesusFreak, October 31, 2008, 12:09:43 AM

JesusFreak

I don't know if this has already been asked, but I'll ask anyway. What is the extar gear/stuff that you add to your 24/72 hr gear other than what your supposed to have?
C/SMSGT Ruben A. Cruz-Colon
NCS(Nellis Composite Squadron) NV-069

_

I'd look at these things:
synthetic underclothing (doesn't have to be underarmour)
a good set of rain gear (jacket and pants) preferably a water/wind proof, breathable fabric
a good shelter
gaiters (I never go in the woods without them, it makes going through thorn bushes a lot easier)

The normal thing is for people to jump to GPS and radios and such.  If you're not a really experienced GTM or not a GTL you don't really "need" those things.  I feel it's better to be prepared for the really nasty conditions you'll encounter.  There's not much that can make your day miserable more than sleeping in a shelter that fails in the rain and gets you soaked then you have to spend the next day wet because you don't have good rain gear.

notaNCO forever

Emergency "space" blanket, hand sanitizer, a couple gallon plastic bags, and a head lamp.

JesusFreak

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on October 31, 2008, 01:01:41 AM
There's not much that can make your day miserable more than sleeping in a shelter that fails in the rain and gets you soaked then you have to spend the next day wet because you don't have good rain gear.

You reminded me of one time at an FTX where my rain cover on my tent came coming off in the middle nof the night while it was raining. :( I had to get out every hour to fix it. :( Also, there was about 10-20 mph winds that night. :( It was terrible. :'(
C/SMSGT Ruben A. Cruz-Colon
NCS(Nellis Composite Squadron) NV-069

notaNCO forever

Rain flies are great as long as you remember to use them. I learned that the hard way. ;)

Tubacap

At a recent mission, we left our home station in 60 degree weather.  When our teams got into the search grid there was 6 inches of snow on the ground with branches starting to break over people's heads.  A good helmet should be included on people's list of gear to get as well as rain/snow gear that is comfortable and will KEEP YOU DRY AND WARM!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

winterg

I know it is a bit pricey, but one of these should be standard for GT.  It's a lifesaver!  http://www.zukioutdoors.com/product/ZB-SP6.5

Rangercap

Zip ties in various sizes, from small ones to two or three of the large HVAC ties.

Also, a patch kit for my water bladder.

Brian
PAWG