Molle Hydration Pack Issue

Started by majdomke, October 30, 2008, 12:54:39 AM

majdomke

Ok, so I'm a genius... I go out and buy one of these "MOLLE II Hydration System" packs figuring since its MOLLE, it will strap to my MOLLE backpack frame or something. I can't figure it out, all it has is a carrying handle and two straps that look like they go over the shoulders. How is this thing supposed to attach to the MOLLE frame? I have the MOLLE manual and it shows how to attach everything but the hydration system. It mentions the system but nothing more. If I just wear this on my back and then put the MOLLE backpack on over it, it gets squished and makes the backpack stick out funny. I'm hoping one of my CAP brothers/sisters has some helpful information on this. Thanks.

IceNine

Is the Hydration pack itself a Molle Platform?  Meaning that you can put MOLLE Compliant pouches and such onto it?  This seems like the most likely circumstance.

A Picture or link to where you bought it would help immensely
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Depends on the straps...are they thin enough to go through the molly webbing on your vest/back pack?

If they are...then you just weave them through.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DC

A lot of times MOLLE packs have a pouch in the back that allows you to slip the bladder and tube from a hydration pack, or sometimes even the whole pack, into it, intigrating it into the backpack.

It can actually be really nice that way, it can keep you back cool, and the weight of the pack pressurizes they hydration system, all you have to do is bite down on the valve to get water...

It will be a very thin pocket near the back, I have seen them accessable from the inside of the pack on some, and others it is accessable through the back, or is even as simple as some mesh with a velcro closure on top..

Knowing what pack you have, or having images of it would help a lot, can you post any?

O-Rex

The two thin vertical straps are made to be "woven" into the horizontal loops of the MOLLE compatible vest or backpack, then you fasten the snaps at the bottom.

Its an ingenious system: you don't have to worry about fastening clips like the old ALICE gear, and load is distributed evenly.

MIKE

The MOLLE system this was designed for has more than one pouch it was designed to fit into.  IIRC, both the main pack and the patrol pack have a pouch for it, Whereas the basic fighting load does not.
Mike Johnston

O-Rex

Quote from: MIKE on October 30, 2008, 04:24:02 PM

The MOLLE system this was designed for has more than one pouch it was designed to fit into.  IIRC, both the main pack and the patrol pack have a pouch for it, Whereas the basic fighting load does not.

Wow, that's an "old school" camelback!  Looks early OIF.

Amazing that the technology changes so quickly that something from a few years ago is already old, especially when you consider that the ALICE gear load-bearing and rucksack system was in use by the Military for a good 25 years.  Funny, I was watching 'Blackhawk Down' with a buddy who's still on active-duty, and to him the personal gear they were using seemed ancient.

notaNCO forever

If that is the hydration pack he has then the straps should be able to go through the MOLLE webbing.

majdomke

This is the type I bought.

I have the main pack attached to the frame. Where does this go on it? I'd love to see a picture of it.

Posts condensed - MIKE