member only (sites) sections

Started by Dutchboy, October 23, 2008, 07:58:45 AM

Dutchboy

I have some questions about putting together a member only section on a website that is password protected. The pages cannot be seen without being logged in. Would a search engine be able to crawl the protected pages for info? I am wanting to make sure info does not leak out from something like that.

I was wondering what do you put in the members only section of your website? What are the regulations on what needs to be in a password protected area? What Exactly can you put in a password protected area? 

Is it common and acceptable to put a squadron roster (contact info, address, duty position) along with pictures of squadron members in a password protected area? Does anyone know if having cadet pictures along with cadet contact info is acceptable?

Where ever possible cite the regulations. Also let me know if it is just your squadron policy.

Pumbaa

Don't forget to add the folders to the robot.txt as well to prevent spiders from crawling the members only area folders. However, only the 'real' spiders will honor the robot.txt, there are some that will ignore it.. those are the folks you want to worry about.

That being said... Unless you really know what you are doing I would avoid putting ANY personal/sensitive information up, in particular cadet phone numbers, addresses and other personal information.  .

One recommendation though is to ZIP files and password protect it for rosters, etc...  The encryption on PK zip is very good.

I place one phone number, one address on the site.  These are the throwaways/ public info.  Since I use CMS/MySQL in my site, all communication/email is done internally on the site through forums, chat and PM's.

Remember NEVER put social security numbers, credit card info, or any other type of personal sensitive data.

isuhawkeye

if you nead a quick and easy "Members only" section, take a look at 37 signals base camp. 

They offer a free trial version.

Several organizations that I work with have adopted this application
http://www.37signals.com/