Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

wingnut55

Cecil DP

The article was addressing puttting  a small commuter aircraft operation into the town, rather than a SAR operation.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on October 17, 2008, 04:46:12 AM
Read the comments underneath.  :)

My favorite comment.  You know it's a small community when they say...

"The road next to the heliport would be an ideal spot for an air strip. It may be resurfaced and used both as a road and, when necessary, closed for incoming or outbound air traffic. "

I think that it is fantastic that they want to develop their GA capabilities.  I think that an airstrip would be less invasive and less of an eyesore than half the buildings they're building right now...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

alamrcn

Wow, the citizens sound like a load of prudes! I don't even know where this place is, and it sounds like they don't want me to.

Quote from: linked site
H Dempster (1 day, 5 hours ago)
Leave Gozo alone to her own beauty and greenery....

Ya, the greenery would be tough to enjoy with all the AIRplanes around!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Grumpy

Yee Gads, does that mean we'll have to go back to the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" again :o

jimmydeanno

Quote from: alamrcn on October 17, 2008, 02:56:22 PM
I don't even know where this place is, and it sounds like they don't want me to.

Island off the southern coast of Italy.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyerthom

TC

Major Carrales

QuoteThis could lead to the creation of a Civil Air Patrol using the many local light aircraft willing to contribute in line with a sensible plan, as is done in Italy and worldwide.

Italy has a Civil Air Patrol?  I'm gonna look into that, I think it's cool that there seems to be a "civil air patrol" movement in the world.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Cecil DP

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 17, 2008, 06:01:33 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on October 17, 2008, 02:56:22 PM
I don't even know where this place is, and it sounds like they don't want me to.

Island off the southern coast of Italy.
Halfway between North Africa and Sicily. The entire island was awarded the George Cross during WW II. Also the home of the Knight's of Malta. Interesting history. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

alamrcn

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 17, 2008, 09:06:20 PMItaly has a Civil Air Patrol?  I'm gonna look into that, I think it's cool that there seems to be a "civil air patrol" movement in the world.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

afgeo4

Shouldn't that patch be in Italian???

BTW... Malta isn't Italy. It's an independent nation, a member of the European Union (as of 2004), the UN and the Commonwealth of Nations. It is comprised of 3 islands and the official languages are Maltese and English.
The English ruled Malta from the Napoleonic war to WW2. Malta, although has close ties to Italy, has never been under Italy's control.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: afgeo4 on October 18, 2008, 03:54:04 PM

BTW... Malta isn't Italy. It's an independent nation, a member of the European Union (as of 2004), the UN and the Commonwealth of Nations. It is comprised of 3 islands and the official languages are Maltese and English.
The English ruled Malta from the Napoleonic war to WW2. Malta, although has close ties to Italy, has never been under Italy's control.

Doesn't Malta have some law that requires that all its architexture be in a style that make it look archaic?  I think I say something about that in the extra features of the "Count of Monte Cristo."  If that is so, then the article's true subject, the heliport/airstrip" aat Gozo is truly a big story.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PHall

IIRC guys, that patch was for the CAP Squadron at Aviano AB, Italy.
The base is operated by the U.S. Air Force and the squadron is/was an overseas squadron.

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

afgeo4

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 18, 2008, 04:17:21 PM

Doesn't Malta have some law that requires that all its architexture be in a style that make it look archaic?  I think I say something about that in the extra features of the "Count of Monte Cristo."  If that is so, then the article's true subject, the heliport/airstrip" aat Gozo is truly a big story.
Negative, Sir. There are quite a few modern beachside developments in Malta. They have been fond of historical architecture in the past though. It pays tribute to all their roots (Greek, Arabic, Sicilian and African). However, that's not a law.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: afgeo4 on October 20, 2008, 09:16:55 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 18, 2008, 04:17:21 PM

Negative, Sir. There are quite a few modern beachside developments in Malta. They have been fond of historical architecture in the past though. It pays tribute to all their roots (Greek, Arabic, Sicilian and African). However, that's not a law.

Thank you for the info.  I alway try to bruch up on such matters.

Commander
SWR-TX-454