Main Menu

Timex Chronograph

Started by O-Rex, October 08, 2008, 05:51:20 PM

O-Rex

FYI-

Here's a piece of snivel-gear reminiscent of the much-coveted Timex CAP SAR logo Watches from a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Expedition-Collection-Chronograph-T42351/dp/B000SZMMXU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1223486178&sr=8-3

I had a few bux burning a hole in my pocket, was looking to buy the Timex Expedition watch that was featured on CapTalk some time back (sadly, sans CAP tri-blade logo :-[) and came across this beauty.  I found the real thing in a watch kiosk at a local mall, and looks great: the picture on amazon doesn't do it justice; at least for the case anyway-I never really liked the watchbands on the Expedition watches.  I also saw a few on ebay, but they went real quick.

I got one and put a Hadley Roma black kevlar watch band on it (http://www.strappedfortime.com/HadleyRomaKevlarWaterproofStrap.html) which really ratcheted the whole look up a notch, it looks ALOT like the high-speed/low-drag (but now-discontinued) Chase-Durer Air Combat Team watch, at less than a third of the price.  For reference and comparison, here's the link: http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/145.30BB.asp

I'd like to finish tricking it out with a deployment buckle for the strap which does a better job of securing the watch and doesn't put any stress on the band itself, but they are not cheap.

If you want dependability, durability (not to mention a good looking watch)and really aren't into brand names, this is a great deal.

NIN

My CAP-SAR watch's battery ran out about 2 weeks ago.. I need to get off my duff and get it replaced.

I've had a bad summer beating up watches, since I lost my Citizen Navihawk in freefall..:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

O-Rex

Quote from: NIN on October 08, 2008, 07:07:57 PM
I've had a bad summer beating up watches, since I lost my Citizen Navihawk in freefall..:)

I take it you lost one of the pins on the case, and that was all she wrote. . . Consider a NATO-style nylon band for your next 'dive' watch  (water and/or sky) you would have to lose both pins for the watch to fall off.  There is a company called Waterbourne out of Australia that makes them.  I think they go for about $12-15 from Diver's Direct, can't remember the website.

I bought one when I got scuba-certified ten years ago, and it still holds up.  Incidentally, I've gone on dives where I lost a pin on the watch, and the case was hanging on the other pin.  It really works!

A.Member

I've got the Chase-Durer Squadron Commander.  Great watch.  Considering that it uses the same movement as Tag Heuer, it's a good value as well.  I get many compliments on it.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DC

I really wish they would remake the CAP-SAR watches, I'm sure there would be a market for some...

SarDragon

Quote from: DC on October 09, 2008, 01:26:58 PM
I really wish they would remake the CAP-SAR watches, I'm sure there would be a market for some...

Here's the CS thread.

Here's what one looks like, just in case you didn't know. The band is aftermarket, but Timex brand.

Drop Mr. Stanford a line, and see what he sez!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2008, 02:01:48 AM
Quote from: DC on October 09, 2008, 01:26:58 PM

Here's the CS thread.

Here's what one looks like, just in case you didn't know. The band is aftermarket, but Timex brand.

Drop Mr. Stanford a line, and see what he sez!
I saw the post on CAP Blog when they first came out in 05...

SarDragon

Almost exactly three years ago!  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2008, 03:54:46 AM
Almost exactly three years ago!  :)

Wow, has it been three years already??

b/t/w, in looking for a deployment buckle for the kevlar strap, no luck: most buckles max out at 5mils, the strap is 6: it's pretty hefty...

I thought this might make a cool SAR watch, with CAP logos and all, but chronos seem a bit aviation-intensive: GT folks might not need all the bells & whistles.

MSgt Van

My preferred timepiece is very simple, and very accurate. It catches folks off guard when they look at my watch to see what time it is...

http://www.wristwatchreview.com/2006/12/21/for-sale-glycine-airman-gmt-2000/

notaNCO forever

I love putting military time on my digital watch, throws people for a loop.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

You can still get the "generic" version of the SAR watch:

Linky

notaNCO forever

What does the regular SAR watch look like I don't believe I've ever seen it?

PHall

Quote from: NCO forever on October 10, 2008, 10:31:49 PM
I love putting military time on my digital watch, throws people for a loop.

Unless you're in Europe, the Middle East and a large chunk of Asia where the 24 hour clock or "continential time" is the norm.

O-Rex

Quote from: NCO forever on October 11, 2008, 09:52:58 PM
What does the regular SAR watch look like I don't believe I've ever seen it?

link

Minute had covers most of the tri-blade logo.

notaNCO forever

Thanks very nice looking watch. If they started making them again I'd buy one.

SarDragon

Quote from: NCO forever on October 12, 2008, 04:48:31 PM
Thanks very nice looking watch. If they started making them again I'd buy one.

I think you aren't understanding something here. This is not a production item available for general sale. It's a special order item. Mr. Stanford offered them on eBay, and when he had orders for the minimum quantity (50), he ordered and shipped them.

The only way "they" (as in Timex) will start making them is if someone sends in another order for 50 watches. IIRC, they went out the door for $35 three years ago. Might be more now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

$35 and Shawn lost a boatload of bread on it. :)

(dork.. I told him to sell those for $50...)

He's in Afghanistan ATM, but I suspect that when he gets back he'd be willing to whip up another watch.  The face graphic, BTW, was done by Tedda.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

pixelwonk

Not to take credit where credit isn't due, I assisted CPT Stanford with the project, but was not the designer of the watch that went into production.