Do You ever feel like quiting CAP

Started by wingnut55, October 01, 2008, 11:32:08 PM

Climbnsink

I think about quitting now and again- then I stop reading CAPTalk for awhile and the feeling goes away. ;D ;D ;D

wingnut55

Actually CAP Talk has kept me in, we need to share our experiences and feelings, I would sometimes prefer it not to be in a public forum. maybe we should have a site that we use a password to get in.

Right now many of us who flew looking for Fossett are beating ourselves up for doing the 'Gee did I miss it" self flagellation. That gets you down.

SarDragon

I dropped out once back in the '70s because of facial air issues. I was out about 8  years.  I rejoined and served in an O/S unit for 2 1/2 years, and then stopped participating agan after my return to the States, again due to facial hair issues. I retained my membership on the chance I might participate some time in the future. That time came after 10 years, and I have been active since then (1999).

There are time when I wonder why I still stick around, but I always find a reason - the mission, the camaraderie, the sense of doing for my community.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Quit after a few years as a cadet.  I can't quite remember why, but I think it may have been because all of the friends I had joined with had left.  Since I rejoined as a senior I haven't thought about it.  CAP faces some probable long-term challenges in its ES mission that if they get really severe might drive me out if we stop getting enough missions to keep it interesting. 

Johnny Yuma

I went Senior after getting my Mitchell to get out from under the thumb of a really incompetent unit CC. I quit about a year after he was replaced by a clown who couldn't control his cadets. That was 1991.

2001 found out that one of the cadets in my old unit was now a local unit CC and actually lived a couple blocks down the street from me. Joined back up and been around ever since. She's now the Wing Queen, I'm still a flunkie Comm Monkey ;D

I can't quit now: I still owe her for bailing me outta jail a few years back... :-X
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

afgeo4

I just renewed my membership for 2 more years. Before I did that, I weighed in on the people I've worked with that have been an inspiration to me (cadets and seniors), those that have been a liability to me and the organization, and the people I work with on almost daily basis.

My answer's in the new membership expiration date I guess.

No matter how bad the bad ones get, I always have more faith and trust in the good ones.
GEORGE LURYE

AlphaSigOU

There have been times when I've been very tempted to throw up my hands and walk away from CAP for good; but if it wasn't for the squadron I'm a member of these days CAP would be a distant memory for me. Other interests took me away from CAP for 17 years back in 1988, but barring a major earth-shattering event in my life, I think I'm in it for the long run this time.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hoser

Not only have I thought about leaving CAP, I am going to do just that. I joined CAP to do something worthwhile with aviation and did so during my tenure. In the past year I have seen CAP go down a road that scares me to death. It has bought into the Administration's climate of fear hook, line and sinker. Just like the paranoid fear mongers in the White House and DHS, CAP sees Osama bin Laden under every rock, Taliban insurgents behind every tree, Hezbollah terrorists in every queue in every airport and Al Qaeda suicide bombers in every Toyota pickup truck in America. After reading the ARCHER Summit document  and seeing the changes they want to make to the system, it became blatantly evident that Homeland Security missions are a politically correct way of saying DOMESTIC SURVEILLANCE. This is NOT the America I grew up in, it is a fearful suspiscious place where we are all suspect, and I cannot and will not be part of making my fellow Americans suspects in their own land. I WILL NOT, either directly or indirectly be involved with any oraganiztion that goes down that road. Nor will I be involved with inculcating our youth with the notion that every one is suspiscious and needs to be watched. I echo the sentiments of a song from 1970 "I feel like a stranger in the land where I was born..." and " I'm a fugitive from injustice, but I am going to be free...". Some may say I am un- American, but they conveniently fail to remember that Thomas Jefferson said: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." The mentality of "With us or against us" and "If you have nothing to hide you don't need to worry" are ideas that worked well to install and instill tyranny, in Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia. They are truly the seeds of tyranny. Some may say "but we are in a state of war." Maybe so, but a famous writer, Aleksander Solzhenytsin ( who was stripped of his citizenship by the Kremiln for his dissenting writing AND lived in exile in the US until the fall of the Iron Curtain) wrote "A state of war serves only as an excuse for domestic tyranny." Yes I am going to let my membership expire, I CANNOT and WILL NOT be part of creating and propogating an atmosphere of suspiscion nor will I support an organization that does. Not too long ago questions were asked why they wanted ARCHER operators with DoD security clearances, THIS is why. You see, National Security is a tool for keeping the American people uninformed and to avoid accountability. The less we as a people know about the actions of the governemnt the less able we are to change that what is wrong. Benjamin Franklin said: "Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither." I find it disturbing  that this administration has taken a page from Hermann Goerning's playbook: "       "Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Be Well

Mark

Nathan

Those are some pretty serious accusations you're throwing around and associate CAP with, you know... :o
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on October 03, 2008, 03:17:35 AM
I went Senior after getting my Mitchell to get out from under the thumb of a really incompetent unit CC. I quit about a year after he was replaced by a clown who couldn't control his cadets. That was 1991.

2001 found out that one of the cadets in my old unit was now a local unit CC and actually lived a couple blocks down the street from me. Joined back up and been around ever since. She's now the Wing Queen, I'm still a flunkie Comm Monkey ;D

I can't quit now: I still owe her for bailing me outta jail a few years back... :-X

I think I heard of that story........:)

If you look at every one of these posts, then you will have heard every one of my reasons to quit and join someone else.

what brings me back to CAP is the cadets.  If I can make a difference in just one kid's life, just as someone had done for me when I was a kid, then the hearache of CAP will be worth it.

CadetProgramGuy

Hoser -

Step away from the coffee brother......

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Nathan on October 03, 2008, 07:18:55 PM
Those are some pretty serious accusations you're throwing around and associate CAP with, you know... :o

Shouldn't you be polishing your diamonds, Colonel? >:D >:D >:D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Hoser on October 03, 2008, 06:53:25 PM
Not only have I thought about leaving CAP, I am going to do just that. I joined CAP to do something worthwhile with aviation and did so during my tenure. In the past year I have seen CAP go down a road that scares me to death. It has bought into the Administration's climate of fear hook, line and sinker. Just like the paranoid fear mongers in the White House and DHS, CAP sees Osama bin Laden under every rock, Taliban insurgents behind every tree, Hezbollah terrorists in every queue in every airport and Al Qaeda suicide bombers in every Toyota pickup truck in America. After reading the ARCHER Summit document  and seeing the changes they want to make to the system, it became blatantly evident that Homeland Security missions are a politically correct way of saying DOMESTIC SURVEILLANCE. This is NOT the America I grew up in, it is a fearful suspiscious place where we are all suspect, and I cannot and will not be part of making my fellow Americans suspects in their own land. I WILL NOT, either directly or indirectly be involved with any oraganiztion that goes down that road. Nor will I be involved with inculcating our youth with the notion that every one is suspiscious and needs to be watched. I echo the sentiments of a song from 1970 "I feel like a stranger in the land where I was born..." and " I'm a fugitive from injustice, but I am going to be free...". Some may say I am un- American, but they conveniently fail to remember that Thomas Jefferson said: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." The mentality of "With us or against us" and "If you have nothing to hide you don't need to worry" are ideas that worked well to install and instill tyranny, in Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia. They are truly the seeds of tyranny. Some may say "but we are in a state of war." Maybe so, but a famous writer, Aleksander Solzhenytsin ( who was stripped of his citizenship by the Kremiln for his dissenting writing AND lived in exile in the US until the fall of the Iron Curtain) wrote "A state of war serves only as an excuse for domestic tyranny." Yes I am going to let my membership expire, I CANNOT and WILL NOT be part of creating and propogating an atmosphere of suspiscion nor will I support an organization that does. Not too long ago questions were asked why they wanted ARCHER operators with DoD security clearances, THIS is why. You see, National Security is a tool for keeping the American people uninformed and to avoid accountability. The less we as a people know about the actions of the governemnt the less able we are to change that what is wrong. Benjamin Franklin said: "Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither." I find it disturbing  that this administration has taken a page from Hermann Goerning's playbook: "       "Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Be Well

Mark

Wow man, just, Wow!

Took you all that to tell us you're drinking the Alex Jones, prisonplanet.com Koolaid and the tinfoil hat's starting to chafe.

" Skip a bit, brother."

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on October 03, 2008, 08:20:23 PM

Ahh, just another Chrismas holiday with the family...NOT

" Skip a bit, brother."

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on October 04, 2008, 04:03:53 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on October 03, 2008, 08:20:23 PM

Ahh, just another Chrismas holiday with the family...NOT

I know of the "family" down that way....

wingnut55

Hoser

Your right, i think it is time you go, this forum was not intended for someone like you to go off on a deep end psychobabel diatribe from a ultrarightwing nut job.

The security clearance is a tool for federal contractors to insure that people like you cannot be a danger to anything you may be exposed to as the auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

The rights and freedoms of all Americans is always a subject for debate and observance, you are an American and patriotic in your own way, I encourage you to continue to preach the values of the Constitution, on the other hand, I will continue to look for lost souls and enemy's of the United States of America, and if I see a woman in a bikini in her back yard. . . well I will look too.

So do you watch the X-files too much?