Main Menu

Radios

Started by maverik, September 09, 2008, 09:54:33 PM

maverik

I am looking at buying an EF JOHNSON radio but when I get it does CAP have frequencies I should program in like say for a mission so when they say channel 1 I know what they're talking about,or does it vary by wing if so what's it for Indiana?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

JoeTomasone

It varies by Wing, check with your Comms Officer.

Ricochet13

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 09, 2008, 09:57:50 PM
It varies by Wing, check with your Comms Officer.

NHQ-COMM has a standard set of frequencies in specific channel slots, but some banks have been set aside for local programming requirements.

maverik

okay can you supply me with a specific regulation?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

MIKE

It's FOUO, so you need to get it from NTC.
Mike Johnston

♠SARKID♠

Anything pertaining to radios is in CAPR 100-1, but you wont find frequencies there.  All frequency info is designated For Official Use Only (you should know that from your mandatory OPSEC training) and was removed from the reg in the May revision.  You'll have to talk with your wing director of comms to get that info; you certainly won't find us posting it here on a public forum.

Sidenote: why do you want to buy your own radio?  Why not try getting one issued from your wing DC, its a lot more...um...free.

Eclipse

More importantly, you will not be able to use that radio for cap unless:

You have an "A-Cut" card (which means you have completed the second-tier communications training in an approved wing class and been issued the card - this is generally a 6-8 hour class with a written and practical exam at the end).

It has been certified by a wing comm officer as being within spec for frequency drift, power, and other
techie things.

It has been licensed by your wing.

And although you may have the physical capability to program the radio yourself, its better to let wing do it to insure your channel plan matches what they are doing.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I couldn't expand too much earlier as I was entering my post on my phone. 

Essentially what everyone said is accurate.  If you have an account at the NTC, go there and look at the Communications Downloads section - there are designator downloads there that will assist you.   But again - get with your Comms officer.

lordmonar

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 09, 2008, 10:32:14 PM
Anything pertaining to radios is in CAPR 100-1, but you wont find frequencies there.  All frequency info is designated For Official Use Only (you should know that from your mandatory OPSEC training) and was removed from the reg in the May revision.  You'll have to talk with your wing director of comms to get that info; you certainly won't find us posting it here on a public forum.

Sidenote: why do you want to buy your own radio?  Why not try getting one issued from your wing DC, its a lot more...um...free.

the frequencies are still in the regulation....you just have to sign in to get access to it.

As for channelization.....NHQ in 100-1 has the desired channel break out....however...many wings (NV for one) ignore the reg and do their own thing.  Get with you Wing Comm guy and have him give you the plan you use locally.  You are going to have to talk to him anyway as he has to approve all radios for use on the CAP network.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

maverik

Okay cool thanks guys. One more question I have MRO and B-CUT any chance of me getting issued a handheld? Keep in mind I'm still a cadet.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Quote from: SGT.JOKER on September 10, 2008, 12:54:02 AM
Okay cool thanks guys. One more question I have MRO and B-CUT any chance of me getting issued a handheld? Keep in mind I'm still a cadet.

No.  You must have an A-Cut to be issued a radio, or license anything you own personally for CAP use.

All equipment is issued based on the Table Of Allowances (TOA) - MRO's do not get radios, only GTL's,
but regardless, you'd still need the A-Cut.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lordmonar on September 10, 2008, 12:26:49 AM

the frequencies are still in the regulation....you just have to sign in to get access to it.

As for channelization.....NHQ in 100-1 has the desired channel break out....however...many wings (NV for one) ignore the reg and do their own thing.  Get with you Wing Comm guy and have him give you the plan you use locally.  You are going to have to talk to him anyway as he has to approve all radios for use on the CAP network.

Negative...  The frequencies were removed in the latest revision and the now FOUO-free version (with designators replacing frequencies) is in with all the other regs at cap.gov.   The frequencies and designators are at the NTC site behind the login.

ALL Corporate radios must have the first four channels programmed with V1 through V4.  After that, it's up to the Wing.   

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2008, 01:08:28 AM
Quote from: SGT.JOKER on September 10, 2008, 12:54:02 AM

No.  You must have an A-Cut to be issued a radio, or license anything you own personally for CAP use.

All equipment is issued based on the Table Of Allowances (TOA) - MRO's do not get radios, only GTL's,
but regardless, you'd still need the A-Cut.

The pecking order is:

1. GTL, UDFTL, IC
2. Portable Mission Base
3. Everyone else.  :D