TerraGo - Map2PDF & GeoPDF

Started by jimmydeanno, August 22, 2008, 02:24:20 PM

jimmydeanno

I was recently looking for downloadable 7.5 and 15 minute USGS topo maps.  I found them on the USGS site (duh) and there was a link for TerraGo - Map2PDF software and various free products from the same company.

I downloaded the trial software and the GeoPDF toolbar and it is pretty nifty. 

Does anyone have any experience using this software or any other products from this company?  I've signed up for a "webinar" next thursday for a live demo of all the features of the software.  The inside sales rep mentioned that they have contracts with FEMA, USMC, US Department of the Interior, etc.  He said that their software is specifically designed for Emergency Services organizations.

One of the things I saw was the ability to link a GPS to it and record data accordingly.  It also appears to have the ability to create custom topo maps, calculate distance, elevation, enter data onto the map, etc.  It looks like it would be a powerful tool for our ground teams / aircrews and mission base staff to utilize.

Here is the wiki on the software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoPDF

Here is the info on the software: http://terragotech.com/solutions/map2pdfpro.php

Here is the company's website: http://terragotech.com/

Should be interesting just to investigate.  I have a feeling it will be like getting the "free vacation" from the timeshare company...

[EIDT]The sales rep said I can invite multiple people to participate.  If you want the web address for the dem and phone number so you can talk to the representative, PM me and I'll send it to you.  The web demo is set up for Thursday, August 28 at 1100 and should last about 30 - 40 minutes.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sardak

There are several steps to using maps with the GeoPDF system.

1. The user needs to have the free Adobe Reader installed, which is pretty much a given.

2. The GeoPDF toolbar needs to be installed.  It is available for free at:
http://terragotech.com/solutions/map2pdf_reader.php

3.  One needs to have maps that have been created using the Map2PDF writer (not free).  As mentioned, the USGS has converted most of its topos to GeoPDF format and made them available for download for free (actually TerraGoTech did the work to promote the technology).  The maps are at:
http://store.usgs.gov
From there click on "Map Locator" in the left sidebar.  From the Map Locator page follow the directions.  They're available in different scales.

The maps are in PDF format, so even if the GeoPDF toolbar isn't installed, the maps can be read just like any PDF file.  The GeoPDF toolbar allows access to the georeferenced information embedded in the map.

4. With the toolbar installed and a GeoPDF map open, Adobe Reader displays the cursor position in two different coordinate systems of the user's choosing, in the datums of the user's choosing.

a. There is a line draw feature that displays the length of the line in the desired units, the total length of connected line segments and the magnetic and true azimuths of the last segment drawn.  A closed area can also be drawn and the area displayed.

b. If a GPS is connected, the real-time position is displayed as crosshairs on the map.

5. Some maps (not the USGS topos) have an annotation capability embedded in them to add notes.

6.  That's all free and there is virtually no learning curve.  Figuring out how to switch datums and coordinate systems is the most complicated part.  Everything else is automatic.

Now what you don't get with the free version.  None of the lines, areas or GPS position can be saved.  A screen capture can be made.  You can't create maps.  You can't add anything to the map unless the map was created with annotations enabled.

To create maps one needs $$$.  At a minimum, the Map2PDF software and Acrobat Professional (the writer, not reader) are required.  Those only allow already created maps to be converted to GeoPDF format.  To create custom maps, some sort of map creation software is also required.

Maps in GeoPDF format are useful, I've got a disk full of the USGS topos. The ability to create them though, is expensive so there aren't a lot of maps available in the format.  The federal government is the biggest user.  I'm sure the sales rep will have a different outlook than mine.

I recommend everyone add the free GeoPDF toolbar to their Adobe Reader.  However, other than the USGS topos, there aren't a whole lot of maps that can be used with it.  There are some sample maps to show the capability available here:
http://terragotech.com/solutions/gallery.php

Mike

spectre

Apart from this application, what other mapping software have you guys had success with?  In particular, is there anything available freeware or reasonably priced that allows you to print 1:50k map sections?

AdamEstrada

All,
     Every thread in this post is spot on!  The bottom line is, with GeoPDF you are able to convert your geospatial data to the PDF format that anyone in the world can interact with in the free Adobe Reader.  The data that can be converted can be vector data, vector symbology, labels, raster data and in future releases 3D data from your CAD system.  With the recent release of Acrobat.com, anyone with a free acrobat.com account can send large data sets to the field and to as many people they want.  So, in my opinion the cost to produce a geospatial data that an infinite amount of people can read for free is completely justified!  I heard somewhere that there are 750,000,000 desktops with Adobe Reader on them...there is no telling how many of those are GIS users!

Adam Estrada

sardak

JD,
Any updates or comments from the webinar or your playing around with the trial software?

Mike

jimmydeanno

Unfortunately, I can't say that there was anything offered or shown that would be of any real huge benefit.  Nothing was demonstrated that isn't listed above and it seems that there is quite a bit of "prep work" that needs to be done before implimenting much of the features.

It is nice that you can create customized maps with the features on it you want/need, but like you said, there aren't many available already that you can just remove layers from, so the creation process would be greatly time consuming - especially for us in the volunteer realm.

Our wing just purchased a mapping software that the state F&G department uses.  All the maps are pre-made, you can make custom ones, add CAP grids very easily, etc.  I don't know what it is (name escapes me) but it seems like a much more viable resource than this was. 

This is fun to play with, but don't see it making it very far in our arena.  However, it might be interesting/worthwhile to have people learn to use it since FEMA appears to be one of their biggest customers...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill