Trying out some new gear next weekend

Started by FlyingTerp, July 28, 2008, 02:12:19 AM

FlyingTerp

I'm headed out to the VA Wing Group 3 Emergency Services Bivouac this coming weekend and will get the opportunity to test out some new gear.  I picked up a Milspec Level III Assault Pack for my 24 hr gear.  I added a molle radio pouch, gear pouch, a Velcro nametape, and reflective strip.  I'm replacing my medium alice pack.  All the 24 hr gear fits with room to spare.

I'll post a complete review after next weekend.

Smithsonia

If it's the same as mine -- 5.11 Field pack -- with camel bladder. (I bought mine from US-CAV and took it to Iraq with everything for a month -- minus food and water of course) I've used mine for a couple of years. It was expensive but a hide saver and you can take a load. Then once at Mission Base can easily download it into a good 48-72 hour pack. Enjoy it -- great piece of gear!
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

FlyingTerp

I returned yesterday from the VA Wing Group 3 Emergency Services Bivouac and the Milspec Level III Assault Pack performed well.  I attached 2 Alice style canteens to each side of the pack, and hung a compass pouch and GPS from each strap.  The pack balanced well on my back and I had no trouble walking the trails, going off trail, doing minor climbing, etc.  I had plenty of room to attach a radio pouch to my chest.  For both the day and night mission, no issues.

If anyone is interested, here's where I got it:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=389655

SKYKING607

That 'rig from "Sportsman" is a copy of the Maxpedition Falcon II backpack ($ 129.99).  Hope it holds up since my experience from imported "spin-off's" hasn't been good!  That "Y-yoke" lock-down feature is copyrighted by the Maxpedition folks in Palos Verdes, CA.

Best regards,
CAWG Career Captain