Hangar just got a bit more crowded

Started by ♠SARKID♠, July 15, 2008, 07:41:55 AM

♠SARKID♠

Our squadron just got the task of housing one of the GA-8s.  The our hangar just got a little bit smaller...

We can fit four planes in there with some work, but not with the Airvan in there.  We had to move our vintage CAP Piper Cub to another hangar on the airport to make room.  The cub was used for radiological monitoring of nuclear blasts back during WWII

Tubacap

^Dang, that's a lot of aircraft for one squadron.  How many members do you have?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

CadetProgramGuy

I see 2 CAP aicraft.  I can assume the cub is privately owned, what about the other cessna in the hanger?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Tubacap on July 15, 2008, 10:55:35 AM
^Dang, that's a lot of aircraft for one squadron.  How many members do you have?
51 members in Timmerman Composite, but theres another bunch in our sister squadron, the 10th Senior Support Squadron. we share the building and meeting night with with them.  The planes are actually assigned to 10th senior.

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 15, 2008, 10:57:38 AM
I see 2 CAP aicraft.  I can assume the cub is privately owned, what about the other cessna in the hanger?
That belongs to Youth & Aviation.  They're kind of our sponsor organization and give us nice things.  I believe Y&A actually has ownership of the cub as well, but I could be wrong.

Tubacap

ah that's cool that you have so much aviation support.  It's nice to have a sponsoring agency!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

cap801

...and we have a 30 year old 172 in a 60 year old t-hangar with broken weatherstripping so when the wind blows, the airplane gets coated in a nice layer of dirt.

Still, $60 an hour rental is hard to beat.

Flying Pig

Thats pretty neat.

jayburns....

Is $60 an hour with fuel?  Because here in CA we rent the 182's for $41 per hr without fuel.

cap801

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 15, 2008, 05:15:40 PM
Thats pretty neat.

jayburns....

Is $60 an hour with fuel?  Because here in CA we rent the 182's for $41 per hr without fuel.

Yes.  Our wing rents the 172's for $30 per hour and we block 7-8 gallons per hour.  I guess it's closer to $65 per hour now.

Eclipse

Don't get too attached to it, that's the Region bird that now rotates between states every few months.

Keep it clean though, please.   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

ThorntonOL

the 172 or GA-8? As in the comment about keeping it clean.
172 gets the dirt coating from what I read and the GA-8 is in the good hanger.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Eclipse

The GA-8. It was in our toybox for a while and a number of comments were made that it wasn't the cleanest
bird in the fleet, probably because no one actually "owns" it as would be with a plane stationed "permanently" in one spot.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 15, 2008, 07:41:55 AM
Our squadron just got the task of housing one of the GA-8s.  The our hangar just got a little bit smaller...

We can fit four planes in there with some work, but not with the Airvan in there.  We had to move our vintage CAP Piper Cub to another hangar on the airport to make room.  The cub was used for radiological monitoring of nuclear blasts back during WWII

I've flown that Gippy  ;D ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2008, 07:27:19 PM
Don't get too attached to it, that's the Region bird that now rotates between states every few months.

Keep it clean though, please.   :D

Will do - we've actually banned cadets from entering the hangar portion of our building except to use the male latrines or to go into the loft.  The last thing we need is dents from cadinks.

Attached another shot too

jimmydeanno

We just got our 182 back from maintenance.  A few problems...

1) Leak in the right wing fuel tank (leaking into the fuselage - been on the squak sheet for about a year).
2) Improper gas cap used (no vent) so vacuum was being created causing it to only draw fuel from one tank on "both" selection.
3) Elevator stops were gone, not just worn, but physically gone.
4) Engine overhaul
5) New Prop

And speaking of "dirty" they filled a 5 gallon shop vac with sand and random filth from the bottom of the fuselage - about 45 lbs!!!

New mechanic, found everything the previous one hadn't been able to.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Huge drift, but issues like the above just astonish me.

These airplanes are used randomly by all different people, yet maintenance issues are repeatedly left for the "next guy".

Absolutely unacceptable and bordering on negligence since the reason we have these planes in the first place is to try and help save lives.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 16, 2008, 01:37:20 PM
We just got our 182 back from maintenance.  A few problems...

1) Leak in the right wing fuel tank (leaking into the fuselage - been on the squak sheet for about a year).
2) Improper gas cap used (no vent) so vacuum was being created causing it to only draw fuel from one tank on "both" selection.
3) Elevator stops were gone, not just worn, but physically gone.
4) Engine overhaul
5) New Prop

And speaking of "dirty" they filled a 5 gallon shop vac with sand and random filth from the bottom of the fuselage - about 45 lbs!!!

New mechanic, found everything the previous one hadn't been able to.

If you're leaking fuel and have a non-STC fuel cap on the aircraft, that's immediate cause to ground the aircraft until it's fixed. The simply fact that it's leaking fuel makes it unairworthy and that kinda issue can't be deferred until the next required inspection.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Frenchie

There's a GA-8 across town and frankly I don't envy the squadron that is tasked to host it.

After spending over a year fixing up a 172R that had been neglected by another squadron, we've now had that aircraft reassigned and we've been "honored" by receiving a G1000 Skylane.  I'm going to miss the 172R.  It was a nice little plane that was cheap to fly for proficiency and quite a capable CAP aircraft.  The new Skylane does give us quite a bit more capability with the Becker and SDIS, but I think we're going to have even more proficiency issues with at least some of our pilots.

Pylon

A crowded hangar must be a nice problem to have.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Pylon on July 17, 2008, 05:09:15 AM
A crowded hangar must be a nice problem to have.   :P

It keeps things interesting :)

I wrote up an article on it for our squadron newsletter
QuoteHangar becomes temporary home to new aircraft

C/MSgt Dan Turkal
Cadet Public Affairs Officer
Timmerman Composite Squadron
Wisconsin Wing

MILWAUKEE - A new addition was made to the list of aircraft that the Timmerman CAP hangar has held within its high walls.  The list is crowded, and so is the hangar now that the Gippsland GA8 Airvan has made nest there.  The single engine, high-winged aircraft is one of 18 in CAP's posession and contains the famed Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced Reconnaissance (ARCHER) system.  With a length of 29 feet and a wingspan of over 40 feet, it leaves little breating room when packed with two other Cessna aircraft.  The CAP Piper Cub known as "Li'l Poof" had to be moved to another hangar on field to make room for the Australian made behemoth.

According to Maj Thomas Mescher, commander of Milwaukee Senior Support Squadron 10, the plane will be primarily used in the August SAR-EVAL but will also collect some airtime training crew in the use of ARCHER and the Satellite Digital Imaging System (SDIS).  Proficiency flying is also a target for the squadron's pilots.  "There are very few places in the state that can house the large aircraft. 10th Senior has the facility and many qualified pilots to fly the aircraft," said Mescher.

The "Gippy", as its nicknamed, arrived at Timmerman in mid July and is expected to remain there until the end of August when it will be transfered elsewhere for other squadrons to train with.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SJFedor on July 17, 2008, 01:49:35 AM
If you're leaking fuel and have a non-STC fuel cap on the aircraft, that's immediate cause to ground the aircraft until it's fixed. The simply fact that it's leaking fuel makes it unairworthy and that kinda issue can't be deferred until the next required inspection.

Leak was unkown, the squak was "smell of fuel in the cockpit."  It had been checked out before (twice), but the av. mech. didn't find anything wrong, same with the drawing only from one side.

Thank goodness we got another mech.  We didn't have our plane for about 2 months because of the compiling of "missed" mechanical problems.

[sorry SARKID]

I like your article though - it is nice to see a unit that active in aviation.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill