Gerber Evader Hydration Pack

Started by NC Hokie, June 20, 2008, 12:21:44 PM

NC Hokie

Does anyone have the Gerber Evader hydration pack shown here?
http://www.opticsplanet.net/gerber-gear-1012.html

I'm looking for a general purpose pack that can double as a 24 pack and it looks as if this might do the trick, but I'd like some idea of it's capacity as well as it's internal layout before dropping $60.00 plus on it.  Thanks!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

100oz for the resevoir, 755 cubic inches of cargo volume.

NC Hokie

Quote from: DC on June 20, 2008, 12:32:28 PM
100oz for the resevoir, 755 cubic inches of cargo volume.

I can read. ;D  The problem is that I really have no idea if 755 cubic inches is big enough for a 24 hour pack.  My current loadout is a MOLLE vest w/ two canteens, a MOLLE butt pack, and a pair of SAW ammo pouches (about the same size as the old M-16 ammo pouches).  It works, but it's cumbersome and hot, which is why I'm looking into other options.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

1 quart = 32 Oz.

2 canteens = 64 oz.

This Hydro has 100oz.

Therefore it carries the equivalent of 3 canteens of water.

Edit:  OK, RTFP - who makes the butt pack and ammo carts?  MOLLE is just an attachment system, not a standard.  Placing everything behind you, hard to reach, may not be the best idea.  Its convieienvt for storage and then becomes a PITA in use when yo have to keep stopping and pulling down your pack.  I'm a big SARMED vest fan (though I have a tactical vest, too), and the best system I ever had was an E-LBV with a seperate hydro.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2008, 12:57:59 PM
Edit:  OK, RTFP - who makes the butt pack and ammo carts?  MOLLE is just an attachment system, not a standard.  Placing everything behind you, hard to reach, may not be the best idea.  Its convieienvt for storage and then becomes a PITA in use when yo have to keep stopping and pulling down your pack.  I'm a big SARMED vest fan (though I have a tactical vest, too), and the best system I ever had was an E-LBV with a seperate hydro.

The kit is at home but it's all SDS stuff...zip up MOLLE II vest, current issue MOLLE butt/waist pack, etc.  I'm sensitive to the need for easy access to some items but figure that I can hang the SAW ammo pouches (or something similar) on the waist belt of the Gerber pack to take care of that.

I've considered the E-LBV but have concerns about heat retention (which is why I'm considering a move away from my MOLLE rig).  What's your experience with this?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

NIN

24 hr gear is probably going to need more than 700 cubes.

I have a CamelBak BFM and it doesn't even fit everything I think I need. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

LBV's are basically open and the one I have is mesh / vented so heat was never an issue - the "e" stands for enhanced, which basically meant that the pockets were slanted - and that does make a big difference.

I currently had a full blackhawk tactical rig and a sarmed type, and can't remember the last time the tactical vest came out of the container.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NIN on June 20, 2008, 04:54:38 PM
Ahhh, took me a bit to find this:

http://www.sarcamp.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=146

Orange LBE & pack!

That is freakin' awesome, I like it!  Do you have any feedback on it?  Know anyone that uses it?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

We've got a few people who use it around here, nothing wrong with it, but a far cry from what we're talking about here.

This is basically a buttpack and a backpack, not tactical gear.

"That Others May Zoom"

_

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2008, 05:17:09 PM
Quote from: NIN on June 20, 2008, 04:54:38 PM
Ahhh, took me a bit to find this:

http://www.sarcamp.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=146

Orange LBE & pack!

That is freakin' awesome, I like it!  Do you have any feedback on it?  Know anyone that uses it?

Quite a few people on the civilian SAR team I'm a member of use the other version of that pack, the top load pack.  In general they like it.  They pack the necessities for field work (food, water, etc) in the butt pack and put everything else in the pack.  That way they can ditch the pack if they don't need all that junk.  I'd suggest looking at the website of the people that make the pack: The Pack Shack

♠SARKID♠

755 should be sufficient space.  I use a Camelback MULE Max Gear which only has 540 cubic inches and I can fit almost everything on the required GT equipment list in the pack.  I could fit a lot more if I didn't carry a radio and scanner in the bottom pocket.