Main Menu

Out of cell phone range

Started by SSgt Rudin, June 07, 2008, 07:09:37 PM

SSgt Rudin

Here in Broward County FL 1/3 of the county is densely populated, the other 2/3 is mostly everglades national park with towns very far apart. If we are out in the everglades on a SAREX or a Mission cell phone covered is poor at best. If you do get a signal chances are if you move your call will be dropped.

For those of you who live in states where this is a big issue does your local PD, FD, rangers or what ever let you put their frequencies on to your CAP radios to use in case of an emergency?

If so, what did it take to get this permission?

If not, is it because they do not operate on VHF or do they just not want you on their frequencies? Also what measures do you have in place to ensure that you can get in contact with authorities in case of emergency?
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RiverAux

You can always ask for a CAP airplane to be put up over the area to act as a relay. 

jeders

In TX, we have DPS frequencies available on our radios for emergencies. However, the areas where our cell phones blank out are also areas where we can't get good line of site with our radios. Down in canyons and areas where there's just nothing.

For the radios, hopefully you have a Hibird up relaying radio signals on a real mission or large SAREX. If not, find the highest point and try again.

The squadron I'm with now has access to a large ranch pasture which is in a canyon area. Once you enter the canyon, you lose all cell phone signal. So if something goes wrong, we hike/drive to the top and call from there where there's great coverage.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: jeders on June 07, 2008, 08:22:55 PM
For the radios, hopefully you have a Hibird up relaying radio signals on a real mission or large SAREX. If not, find the highest point and try again.

It's Florida there is no "highest point" unless you climb a tree. However the Highway Patrol and Fish and Wildlife have repeaters all over the place, I have come across some on really remote trails as well as in some really remote areas that had no defined trail. Having no cell signal isn't usually because of geographical terrain but more that you are just out of range of a tower.

The only problem I see with using their Frequencies for emergency purposes is that they utilize a 800 MHz trunked system.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RRLE

They might let you on their system as a non-profit public safety group. It will probably not be for free. It appears the Broward County Sheriff's Office Communications Technology Division is responsible for the operation of the radios and towers. You could try contacting them.

PHall

In California we have the mutual aid frequencies for both police and fire programmed into our radios.
We can use them only by prior arrangement or in case of an emergency.
But it better be a "real" emergency or you're going to be toast.

JoeTomasone

It's a little more involved than that and involves agency approval, use of a radio that meets the specifications/type acceptance of that service, NTIA approval, and a copy of that agency's license (or NTIA approval if a Federal agency) on file.   Ref: CAPM 100-1.

RiverAux

I think your best bet would be to contact the Wing Director of Communications to see if they have anything in the works and if they could help set something up if necessary. 

PHall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 08, 2008, 02:30:29 AM

It's a little more involved than that and involves agency approval, use of a radio that meets the specifications/type acceptance of that service, NTIA approval, and a copy of that agency's license (or NTIA approval if a Federal agency) on file.   Ref: CAPM 100-1.

When I said "our radios", I was talking about the CAP owned radios installed in corperate aircraft and vehicles.

IceNine

We have the Coast Guard freq's in our radios, as well as the state wide "all call" for PD
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: IceNine on June 08, 2008, 04:46:24 AM
We have the Coast Guard freq's in our radios, as well as the state wide "all call" for PD

Uh? Why does ILWG have the frequency for a riverine buoy tender? - CGC Sangamon

Or are you refering to a set of freqs for the lake michigan crowd?

-- Anytime I will go out on a mission I'm always going to have my personal Kenwood in my pack. I can hit every PD/FD/EMS/AirMedical/EMA group inside of 100 miles with that thing. - Plus I have MERCI, statewide PD, and MABAS and thats good anywhere.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

All CAP planes should have marine radio freqencies programmed into them so that they can work with units on rivers and lakes from the Coast Guard, Coast Guard Auxiliary, state fish and wildlife agencies, local sheriff departments, etc.

RRLE

Another option is to use HF instead of VHF. In the Everglades you should get very good ground wave propagation or try NVIS.

Ricochet13

Quote from: RiverAux on June 08, 2008, 01:11:27 PM
All CAP planes should have marine radio freqencies programmed into them so that they can work with units on rivers and lakes from the Coast Guard, Coast Guard Auxiliary, state fish and wildlife agencies, local sheriff departments, etc.

Should have - probably.  Do have - that's another question.  Not sure how many of those frequencies are in the national channel plan (either current or future after the new channels are allocated), other than the USCG probably.  Will have to check to see what the intent is.  Local channels become problematic though as programming of communications assets will be a tightly controlled ability.  Same for ground mobile units too.

RiverAux

I've been told that the marine frequencies are going in all CAP aircraft radios.  I know they're in all of our Wing's planes. 

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 08, 2008, 07:29:28 AM
-- Anytime I will go out on a mission I'm always going to have my personal Kenwood in my pack. I can hit every PD/FD/EMS/AirMedical/EMA group inside of 100 miles with that thing. - Plus I have MERCI, statewide PD, and MABAS and thats good anywhere.

Excellent, please make sure it remains turned off unless you have a lock on the xmit button, because when you're in a CAP uniform you are not allowed to use that radio as a transmitter.

And no, it doesn't matter that you are "something else" the other 6 days a week.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

CAP in Iowa has an MOU, and proper authorizations to operate on a few LEA frequencies, and ALL CAP radios in the wing are programed to allow that communication.

Al Sayre

MSWG has the CG, Statewide Fire and Statewide Police programmed in ours.  We've used it on a couple of missions with good results.  Problem is if the police are on 800 MHz band you would need a completely different radio to talk to them.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

You are out of cell phone range...but are you out of CAP Repeater rang?

As for using other agencies frequencies.....it is possible.  Your wing Comm Director should be working with your Group and Squadron Comm officers to get MOU with them to make it happen.

Usually the MOUs are for when we work directly with these agencies...but it is possible to write the MOU to allow CAP to use them for CAP specific missions (assuming the agency buys off on the use).

On option of course is to use a High Bird with either and airborn repeater or to act as a relay.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on June 09, 2008, 02:01:26 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 08, 2008, 07:29:28 AM

Excellent, please make sure it remains turned off unless you have a lock on the xmit button, because when you're in a CAP uniform you are not allowed to use that radio as a transmitter.

And no, it doesn't matter that you are "something else" the other 6 days a week.

If something bad happens whereby we need to call in the calvary I will use that radio. Otherwise, yes it will stay in the pack.

Remember Major, we are talking about what to do when a cell phone doesnt work; when mine doesnt work, I go for my Kenwood... and ILWG does have an MOU for statewide.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student