Main Menu

Inexpensive tactical vest

Started by sarflyer, June 06, 2008, 12:26:30 PM

sarflyer

I found this site which sells mostly gun stuff but they had this Mil Tec vest which looks really good for SAR operations.  Especially a 24 hr pack.

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/BJR015-51832-1572.html
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

DC

In my experience the stuff on Cheaper Than Dirt is of decent quality, but definately not top of the line. Great for cadets, but if you are going to be putting it to serious use then you might want to invest in something of better quality.

I know someone with this vest, he has several attachment pouches, and a hydration pack that attaches to the back. He has had it for a few years now and has not had any issues with it.

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE434-41864-1572.html

Duke Dillio

I wish they made either one of these in orange or red.....

DC

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 06, 2008, 02:26:08 PM
I wish they made either one of these in orange or red.....
Spray paint....  8)

Thor

I know a few people that have this vest. It's got a lot of storage space, and it's pretty comfortable as well.
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

_

Quote from: Thor on June 06, 2008, 07:49:11 PM
I know a few people that have this vest. It's got a lot of storage space, and it's pretty comfortable as well.

Did they get it from that site?  The stuff from that site is sometimes a cheap knockoff of the real thing.  The picture looks like the real thing but when you get it delivered it turns our to be made out of lighter weight material and stitching that isn't very good.

The design I believe is South African.  I have seen that vest in orange.  I just don't know where the person got it from.

notaNCO forever

It will not hold up good if you use it for something were you will be wearing it allot and its getting heavy like PJOC or NESA but for regular GT use its good and also has plenty of storage space.

Thor

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on June 06, 2008, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: Thor on June 06, 2008, 07:49:11 PM

Did they get it from that site?  The stuff from that site is sometimes a cheap knockoff of the real thing.  The picture looks like the real thing but when you get it delivered it turns our to be made out of lighter weight material and stitching that isn't very good.

The design I believe is South African.  I have seen that vest in orange.  I just don't know where the person got it from.

One guy got it from the site, the other two got it from a surplus store and it's the same thing.
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

JoeTomasone

So here's my question: You buy this for 24hr gear, then what do you use for a 72hr pack and how do you carry it?

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 06, 2008, 09:16:29 PM

So here's my question: You buy this for 24hr gear, then what do you use for a 72hr pack and how do you carry it?

There's my gear. The sleeping bag straps on top of the ruck. The vest above that and the camelbak fits inside between me and the ruck. Oh and that's my GTM Beret on top. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CAP006

Dang man.  You've got it goin on!!!!  ;D
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

DC

Is that a folding chair off to the left???

davidsinn

Quote from: DC on June 07, 2008, 01:37:05 AM
Is that a folding chair off to the left???

Yeah but it's not part of my gear. It's just sharing the same space in my closet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Duke Dillio

I carry mine with me.....  what's the issue?  There are times when you can get a chance to sit on it...

davidsinn

Quote from: CAP006 on June 07, 2008, 01:09:24 AM
Dang man.  You've got it goin on!!!!  ;D

You think so? The ruck came from my fiancé. The sleeping bag from a discount store and most of the stuff in my gear comes from Wal-mart and similar stores. Dollar Tree supplies a fair bit too.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davidsinn

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 07, 2008, 01:58:19 AM
I carry mine with me.....  what's the issue?  There are times when you can get a chance to sit on it...
I take it to SAREX's but it's not part of my ready gear. I try to follow that line in the manual about being able to hump your gear 6 miles into base.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2008, 02:01:15 AM
I take it to SAREX's but it's not part of my ready gear. I try to follow that line in the manual about being able to hump your gear 6 miles into base.
Aww, they aren't that heavy. I once saw a cadet show up to a GT training with a folding cot and camp stool in his 72 hr. He was living in style !

JohnKachenmeister

I bought a tactical vest from Cheaper n Dirt, and its great.  About $50, and I use it for my 24-hour gear and my aircraft survival gear, which is pretty much the same.  I've had it about a year and a half, have run loads of missions, and no problems.
Another former CAP officer

davidsinn

Quote from: DC on June 07, 2008, 02:37:01 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2008, 02:01:15 AM
Aww, they aren't that heavy. I once saw a cadet show up to a GT training with a folding cot and camp stool in his 72 hr. He was living in style !

Well when you're carrying an extra 80 lbs under your uniform you try and cut the weight over it. ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JoeTomasone

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2008, 01:07:49 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 06, 2008, 09:16:29 PM

There's my gear. The sleeping bag straps on top of the ruck. The vest above that and the camelbak fits inside between me and the ruck. Oh and that's my GTM Beret on top. ;D

OK, but don't the shoulder straps on that sit all awkward-like on this?

I would imagine that they slide off and get quite uncomfortable and have to be "reset" often...  No?

I've got a big pack like that for 72hr, but a webbed belt and pouches/pack for 24 hr that has a "space" in the back for the 72hr to sit.   The 24hr has no shoulder straps, it's all on the waist.   Not perfect, but I can wear them both without double-strappage.   I would love to find a better system that is as "modular".