Main Menu

Multiple squadron vans

Started by brasda91, June 06, 2008, 12:05:49 PM

Does your unit have more than one squadron van?

Yes
No

brasda91

Our unit is growing to the point where I will soon be requesting a second van to be issued to our unit.  For those that have multiple vehicles in your squadron, did you have any trouble getting the second van?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mikeylikey

I am a firm believer that once every unit in YOUR wing has at least one van......then you should be able to get a second van.  Not fair to those units that can't even get a van. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

^^Ditto.

Its an uphill climb to justify more than one vehicle in a >Group<, let alone in one unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shotgun

Our unit currently has three airplanes and two vans.

(However, in the interest in full disclosure one of the airplanes will soon be surplused and one of vans is assigned to our former commander who was promoted to Wing Vice Commander. But when he isn't using it the squadron does).

It is all about utilization. Our squadron definitely has the numbers and need for the assets we've been assigned. I do sympathize with other units in our wing who do not have an airplane or van - but in most cases they did at one point and weren't using it.

Duke Dillio

My unit doesn't have any corporate vehicles and probably for good reason.  The last vehicle that we got from our wing was an '84 Dodge Ramcharger (CUT-V I think was the military abbreviation for it.)  We put lots of money into it and never really used it for any missions or activities because when they came up the vehicle was broken.  Apparently, the former squadron commander fought with wing for years to get rid of it.  It finally broke down so bad that we finally got it scrapped.  Since then, our squadron won't even talk about getting anything from wing, vehicle wise.  It was a nightmare that finally ended.

jimmydeanno

When I left my old squadron we were in the process of requesting a second van.  We had 65 cadets and a 12 pax just wasn't cutting it.  I don't see a problem with units having more than one vehicle - so long as another one who needs at least one isn't shafted.

WIWAC, we had a 1986 Dodge 12 pax - the headliner was falling out of it, the front grille was broken, the rain channel along the roof had several holes in it from rust, the seats had tears, etc.  The thing was a mess.  That was 11 years ago.

Last weekend I saw that they transferred that van to another squadron down the road from us.  Wouldn't you know it, the same problems still exist today - even the broken grille.  It's a shame because it only has like 60K miles.  The other squadron needed to borrow our van because they didn't trust theirs to make it where they needed to go.

Which leads me to my next peeve.  You are a member of a squadron who has a van and uses it to the extent that they "mandate" each month.  You put a good amount of miles on it, keep it maintained, etc.  Then you get the phone call that they are re-assigning "your" van with another one because they need you to put more miles on it as it is underused.

It shows up and in place of your nicely maintained, freshly waxed van you get the wings junk that needs $1000.00 worth of maintenance because of dry-rot (tires, hoses, you get the point).  Now your transportation officer gets to spend the next month getting it "up to speed." It's just irritating.

But, yes, there are squadrons with multiple corporate vehicles and as long as no one else is getting the shaft, there is a possibility of you getting a second.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

In my group of 15 squadrons we have only 4 vans and 7 aircraft. Aircraft are pretty much squadron based, while the vans are based at squadrons, but they are controlled by group hq. Squadrons must request to use them in advance, and the vans are used on a first come, first serve basis by the squadrons.

We use the vans a lot, but there just aren't enough to go around.

ctrossen

Kinda, sorta.

We have one 12-pax Dodge van and a 4x4 Ford Expedition assigned, though I do also have a squadron that merged three units together, two of which still exist as chartered flights.

As you might expect, the Expedition is the primary ES response vehicle while the van is the "people mover." Both together ensure I can move all people and equipment needed probably 80% of the time.

Based at our airport, there is a "Wing Van" also available, but the kicker is that it's only available from late August through May--that van, along with another in Wisconsin, is permanently assigned to Oshkosh in the summer to support the special activities there throughout the summer.

As others have pointed out, though, getting and keeping vehicles isn't about just membership numbers, it's about utilization and the ability to support the vehicle(s). There are vehicles out there that barely get driven, and then there are others that are utilized all the time. Prior to the merger of our three units, that 12-pax had been driven barely a couple of thousand miles a year, and it showed (heck, it still does show in some respects). Now it gets used throughout the year, supporting unit and wing activities--which is what it's there to do.

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

PhoenixRisen

We've got no use for CAP vans.  We'd just use our school's vans.  Not sure of the make & model, but they're brand-spankin' new.  This is another benefit of working with a school-program squadron.   :)

RiverAux

Vans are even more tricky to allocate than planes.  Unless your squadron is tiny, a single van will never be enough to move everyone around at the same time, so just about every squadron could make an argument for a second van.  However, we do have twice as many vans as planes and there should be enough for most squadrons to have at least one (on average -- it looks like there may be some areas without that).   

FW

The ideal ratio determined by some "great minds" a few years back calls for 1 van per 60 members. So, we have about 1000 vans in the fleet and a few sedans, crewcab trucks and,  SUV's.  That being said, there is a real disproportion of vehicles throughout the wings.  Some have 1 van/sq.  Other wings are lucky to have 1 van for every 2 squadrons.  

If a squadron needs a van, it can buy one.  Or, it can have one donated (my "home" squadron had some donated vans over the years).  CAP just doesn't have the money yet to increase the fleet by 500 vans; which would give us about 1 van/unit.

IceNine

All you can do is ask, all they can say is no.

If you are driving the wheels off of the other one, and the hours/miles are well rounded for admin, cadet, mission etc.  There should be no question as to the justification. 

I'd get in quick though, there is another round of vehicles being released from national in the next couple months.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Keep in mind that we do have clusters of multiple squadrons in the same general area.  If I've got 3 squadrons in the same city or county, I think a case could be made that they could easily share a vehicle.