So, the barcode on a 101 card....

Started by Hawk200, May 21, 2008, 03:47:36 AM

Hawk200

... is there anything yet that uses it to sign people in with it yet?

And what do you need to make it work? Need specifics, such as the ACME model 7120 barcode reader scanner with the USB cable , and a copy of the Super Barcode interpreter software from ABC Data.

Our unit is getting a lot of stuff done, and even hoping to host a SAREX or two. Would be a lot easier if all someone has to do is to walk in, run their 101 through a bar code scanner, and move to a staging area.

Anyway we could do this with no muss, fuss, or bathroom soap scum?

Pylon

It's the same barcode as your membership card and the new CAP Photo ID card.  It is simply your CAPID in a standard barcode format.  Pretty much any barcode reader peripheral for a computer will read the barcode and enter it into the computer as if somebody had just typed the CAPID numbers. 

SIMS allows for barcode reading to check-in people for attendance at an activity or meeting... simply check the "Activate Barcode CAPID Scan" checkbox and as you scan ID's you'll get a brief popup incidating "JOHN M. DOE has been marked as in attendance" (I'm paraphrasing here; probably not the exact wording).

Our squadron got a CueCat barcode reader off eBay, modified with a USB hookup, for approximately $10.  We use it to check in our members for attendance in SIMS.  It also reinforces for members the important of bringing their cards to the meeting.

I don't recall if the Encampment Management Program utilizes the barcode input at all.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJFedor

I believe Maj. Bob Koob from KYWG wrote a program that does that as well. I believe it's excel-based (used at NESA to keep track of us Aircrew types.)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

IIRC, the original version of the WMU used the barcodes, too. I'm not sure about IMU.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Most bar code readers have what is called a "wedge" option -- which means a driver that converts the bar code read into simulated keyboard input.   The result is the same as if you had typed the information contained in the bar code on the keyboard.   This makes it compatible with any software.    So, if you had such a system, any place you needed to type the CAPID you could scan the bar code.

Eclipse

Excel does this out of the box with no extra drivers, macros or software - I didn't believe it either - try it.

Not, what you >do< with it once you read it is a different story.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

I've never actually played with SIMS at all, so I can't even begin to draw any conclusions as to how it might even work for us.

I'm probably a little over my head on what I'm thinking about, but I pretty much want something to update the National SQTR with the mission number. We could punch in the assignment stuff later, but the mission number would be logged for the individual. I know the SQTR allows multiple individual entry, it seems handy to just use it directly if possible.

I'm probably dreaming as far as what I'd like to see, but I figured the worst anyone could tell me is "That won't work." Am I dreaming, or is this something that could possibly work?

Psicorp

Does the barcode on the 101 contain the information on the 101 card or is it the same barcode that's on the membership card? 

We've been scanning people into Mission Base using the membership cards, but I've never seen the 101 card used for anything more than visual verification that someone is qualified for the position they seek to fill.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Shotgun

OK . . . Real basic question:

What is SIMS?

(I've only been in CAP a year and don't have much practical ES mission experience.)

Eclipse

Quote from: pkloehn on May 21, 2008, 06:41:36 PM
OK . . . Real basic question:

What is SIMS?

(I've only been in CAP a year and don't have much practical ES mission experience.)

The only way to manage a Squadron's admin and records needs.

Available at squadroncommand.com

http://www.squadroncommand.com/filemgmt/index.php

Its an Access-based front end for Capwatch data and a full computer-based unit management system.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on May 21, 2008, 04:15:13 AM
It's the same barcode as your membership card and the new CAP Photo ID card.  It is simply your CAPID in a standard barcode format.  Pretty much any barcode reader peripheral for a computer will read the barcode and enter it into the computer as if somebody had just typed the CAPID numbers. 

SIMS allows for barcode reading to check-in people for attendance at an activity or meeting... simply check the "Activate Barcode CAPID Scan" checkbox and as you scan ID's you'll get a brief popup incidating "JOHN M. DOE has been marked as in attendance" (I'm paraphrasing here; probably not the exact wording).

Our squadron got a CueCat barcode reader off eBay, modified with a USB hookup, for approximately $10.  We use it to check in our members for attendance in SIMS.  It also reinforces for members the important of bringing their cards to the meeting.

I don't recall if the Encampment Management Program utilizes the barcode input at all.

I wonder how long it will be til some cadet tattoos his/her CAPID barcode onto his/her wrist or somethingrather.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: Psicorp on May 21, 2008, 05:24:34 PM
Does the barcode on the 101 contain the information on the 101 card or is it the same barcode that's on the membership card? 

We've been scanning people into Mission Base using the membership cards, but I've never seen the 101 card used for anything more than visual verification that someone is qualified for the position they seek to fill.

The barcode is the same as the membership card and photo ID card: just the member's 6 digit CAPID number as a barcode.  No other special information is contained inherently in the barcode itself.  You could, however, tie that barcode to data stored on members to bring up information in a database.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Tubacap

When the single CAPWATCH download comes through, won't this be a fairly easy thing to do in regards to ES Quals?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Hawk200

From reading through, it looks like my only option is to have SIMS running at the check-in point, and then sync it with National.

How does that work? We've got a laptop or two that could be used for such a thing. Can we sync it to National records every few minutes? We've got secured wireless to expedite it.

MIKE

Can't upload with SIMS... Download via CAPWATCH only.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 21, 2008, 10:45:22 PM
Can't upload with SIMS... Download via CAPWATCH only.

Delightful. From the sounds of it, there's no way to do what I'm theorizing. Maybe in a year or so.

sarflyer

For all you newbies in the SIMS world this is a great piece of software.  The only downfall it has is that you can't upload updated information to National's databases.   

That basically means you have to input all ES and Pilot stuff into E Services and also now the cadet achievements below Mitchell.  But when you download the Capwatch and tcapwatch it adds the data to SIMS without overwriting what you have already put in.

It is a a simple easy database program that requires MS Access.  Don't be scared off by it.  It's really not as hard as it might seem.  Easy to set up and can be networked within your squadron.  I have a server running in our unit with the main data files that is networked to all the computers at the unit.  You can have up to 255 users using the same database at the same time.

There is a lot to this program and I am willing to answer any questions that you might have.  There is no other program this well made out there today. 

Codos to Dennis Van der Vieren and all the others in CAP that helped him develop it over the last few years.
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Hawk200

Quote from: sarflyer on May 22, 2008, 12:15:28 AM
The only downfall it has is that you can't upload updated information to National's databases. 

That's the problem. What I'd like to put together is something that will update the National SQTR entry when a person checks in. Basically, scan their ID card, and National records will show the mission participation immediately (more or less  ;)).

Having such a program at squadron level doesn't really mean much to me. I've been updating records for cadets for everything they do right after the meeting in e-services(at least as far as tests go). Saves a lot of time, but took me a while to get in all the cadets previous achievements.

RickFranz

At our last SAREX the USAF folks said it would be nice if we had some way of tracking, not only the members checking in, but also the where abouts of those members.  Say 6 people came in and 4 of them turned around and went out on a ground team and the other two got in a plane.  Other than going through all the paperwork how would we know.

I guess if we used the barcode system for check in, then on their way out have them swipe there card and then put a note as to where they where going, van XXXXX or aircraft XXXXX or lunch, we could keep track of who is out and who would be available for a mission.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

CadetProgramGuy

I knwo at one point in time Dennis was in front of TP with SIMS and he liked it.  There was also talk at one point in time to make SIMS "talk" to CAPWATCH and make it uploadable as well. 

Pretty sure nothing came of it though.

afgeo4

Is knowing where your assets are during mission really a problem for you? I mean I've never been to a SAREX where the IC couldn't tell you who was where. It's not like there are hundreds of sorties being generated out of a mission base on daily basis.

If your guys can't track who's where without scanning cards, I think you have bigger issues.
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

Quote from: RickFranz on May 22, 2008, 03:06:24 AM
At our last SAREX the USAF folks said it would be nice if we had some way of tracking, not only the members checking in, but also the where abouts of those members.  Say 6 people came in and 4 of them turned around and went out on a ground team and the other two got in a plane.  Other than going through all the paperwork how would we know.

I guess if we used the barcode system for check in, then on their way out have them swipe there card and then put a note as to where they where going, van XXXXX or aircraft XXXXX or lunch, we could keep track of who is out and who would be available for a mission.
That's not a technology issue, it's accountability, and that's a big basic deal in the military. You don't need to scan cards over & over to get that done. You can do it electronically. Or the old fashion way (tack sheets to the wall), but don't rely on someone's memory, especially not the very distracted IC. You get 4-6 or more air sorties & 5-10 GTs, plus staff, etc... yeah good luck keeping up with every individual at all times, even if you're the dedicated FASC.

Hawk200

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 22, 2008, 03:42:34 AM
There was also talk at one point in time to make SIMS "talk" to CAPWATCH and make it uploadable as well. 

That would be handy. The individual member would have to go in later and indicate in what capacity they served during the mission, but it would be really nice to have the mission numbers already there.

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 22, 2008, 03:42:34 AMPretty sure nothing came of it though.

Wouldn't surprise me. Oh well, maybe eventually.

jayleswo

The IMU2 software will track personnel that have checked in. For example, Aircrew members who have checked in are placed in an Aircrew pool. When they are assigned to an aircrew and then launch on a sortie this is tracked and their is a personnel locator function in the software.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Short Field

We use the IMU2 for missions.  I would really like to speed up sign-in with a bar code reader - but there is something useful about forcing people to sign in on a roster.  We actually use three rosters - one each for aircrews, ground team members, and mission base personnel.  Once they sign in, aircrew go to a aircrew holding area, ground teams to a separate area, and MB personnel are held near the sign-in area until the PSC can assign them to mission base positions.   

The concern is to not have people sign in, then just languish around mission base waiting for assignment.   When they sign in, they need to be put under a supervisor immediately.   Mission Base personnel report to whomever they work for,  aircrews to the AOBD, and ground team members to the GBD.  It is just a bit too hard now to track people who have signed in electronically and not be assigned to someone.  Paper rosters let you annotate on the paper what they are doing and who they work for.  You can tell at a glance who hasn't been assigned.  However, using that bar code reader to enter them in the IMU2 sure sounds sweet....

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Mission sign-in is almost never a big waster of time on missions.  Speeding it up by a little bit doesn't get you much real improvement in overall efficiency.  Since most crews and teams arrive at somewhat staggered intervals there is almost always plenty of time to sign them in on paper.  Now, I'm not opposed to using technology, but this doesn't seem to be the area where we need it most, so it wouldn't be very high on my priority list.  Would I bang my fist on the table and say "Heck no, I"m not letting you scan my card, I want to scribble on paper!!"?  Nope, just wouldn't devote any of my personal time to developing the system. 

FW

If we can ever standardize our mission software and have it "talk" to WIMRS, I think we will be able to electronically track all aspects of the mission, generate appropriate verifiable records and get reimbursed at a fairly fast pace. 
Scanning a 101 card would be the easiest way to start things going.

Unfortunately it's been taking a real long time for things to happen.  It may take a few more years for completion of the task. 

ray

Quote from: Short Field on May 24, 2008, 01:44:36 AM
We use the IMU2 for missions.  I would really like to speed up sign-in with a bar code reader - but there is something useful about forcing people to sign in on a roster. 

The IMU2 is already set up to use a barcode reader for sign in - the barcode reader acts like a keyboard and enters in the CAPID.  The IMU recognizes the end of the barcode input and populates all of the personal info - all you have to do is verify the information and click update.  I found an old barcode reader and hooked it up to our squadron computer.  It's not particularly useful (in my opinion) - when has the time limiting factor on a mission or SAREX ever been the rate of sign ins.  But it sure is fun to sit around and zap stuff with the laser.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on May 24, 2008, 02:03:09 AM
Mission sign-in is almost never a big waster of time on missions.  Speeding it up by a little bit doesn't get you much real improvement in overall efficiency.  Since most crews and teams arrive at somewhat staggered intervals there is almost always plenty of time to sign them in on paper.  Now, I'm not opposed to using technology, but this doesn't seem to be the area where we need it most, so it wouldn't be very high on my priority list.  Would I bang my fist on the table and say "Heck no, I"m not letting you scan my card, I want to scribble on paper!!"?  Nope, just wouldn't devote any of my personal time to developing the system. 

What I was looking for had nothing to do with time saving. It would be nice to scan my card, and not have to write stuff down (or hope I remember it all), do a mission, go home, dig in all my crap for the notepad with all the numbers and trainer IDs, login the stuff to e-services (which won't be fun after a long day), swear at e-services because I forgot something and it insists on being pissy about saving the info, finally log out, go to bed grumbling, and tossing all night because I'm certain I forgot to enter something.

See what I mean? I just want something that will do most of the crap so I can focus on getting the mission done. With the extensive flexibility of computers (meaning you can program to do almost anything), there is little reason that this stuff can't be done right now.

Short Field

Quote from: ray on May 24, 2008, 02:37:29 AM
[The IMU2 is already set up to use a barcode reader for sign in -

Good to know.  It provides possibilities for signing in.  The IMU will verify a persons Ops Quals - and I would trust it more than a two week old 101.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

KyCAP

To anyone at NHQ reading this thread.

The reverse if the CAP ID card could easily be printed with a monochrome 2D barcode and encode ALL of the information from the front of the card as well as a greyscale version of the PICTURE that is being printed on the front of the Photo ID card.

I've worked with this type of data.... BTW - There is a published standard that could be adapted from the State Motor Vehicle Association that has guidance for that data for the back of your driver's license... along with other identification projects that are evolving for first responders.

http://www.aamva.org/KnowledgeCenter/Driver/SecurityFraud/securityframework.htm

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/nims/rm/job_titles.shtm 

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing