BlackHawk Advanced Tactical Briefcase

Started by KyCAP, April 30, 2008, 02:00:49 AM

KyCAP

While I was at it, I took some pics of the briefcase that I keep my CAP IC stuff in.  I keep this bag setup to just push my laptop into it.  I was destroying my leather work briefcase dragging it around in the field and on the airport.....   Plus it was a mess trying to transfer "stuff" from my working life to the CAP life when AFRCC rings.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=61BC01&C=C1184

Picked this up from LA Police Gear on the internet.

Patches included for size reference.   I have the GPS and a Treo phone in the case pockets in the first picture to give anyone reading a size reference.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KyCAP

No complaints so far.   I've developed a routine to pull the laptop and power supply from my "work" case into this thing when I am getting ready to go.   Mainly I have used it for "admin work" for wing staff meetings and as part of a mission base staff at a sarex last month three hours from home.

I loaded everything into it and a small roll around luggage case (carry on size) and still had room.   

The inside pocket is large enough to get two 1" binders in plus having the notebook in the "waterproof compartment".  My tablet fits fine.   I suspect a Toughbook CF-29 would but anything larger like a Dell 620 with 15" display is SNUG and anything bigger is not going in there.

It's tough and if you have to carry a laptop this is probably one of the cooler ones out there.   Honestly, I am starting to become a bag junkie because I am bit of a type "A" "organized" junkie with a slight "OCD" case...  (joking) But it is nice to have a bag that looks like I am going to do SAR work and not to teach a Calculus class to freshmen or to a court room.  So far I give it an "A" for an overall.

I've also thought about pushing the resolution up on a new PIC and posting that.  The striation in the last images don't do it justice..  Here's a descent one from Blackhawk! site and they also have a video.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Stonewall

I don't think I like you KyCAP.  It's because of you I had to drop some dime on the new BHI Advanced Tactical Briefcase.  I saw the video attached to the link and it sold me.  Even spent $22 on 2-day air so I can get it before I head out for a school.  Needed a good bag for my laptop and the other 2 (Blackhawk and Eagle) just weren't cutting the mustard because they're black.  I needed one in sage green to carry when I'm doing Air Force (Air Guard) stuff with the new ABUs.

However, the Eagle Attache Case worked well for a few years when wearing a suit, especially for a backup weapon (hidden gun compartment).
Serving since 1987.

DrDave

"Cut the _muster_"  Not the mustard.

I.e. pass inspection.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

KyCAP

:clap:

Stonewall!! LOL!  That's one of the best "reasons" I have heard to be disliked..   Aesthetically, these are the "bomb diggity" not to mention that they "work"..

:P  Hope you like the case.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Stonewall

Quote from: DrDave on May 14, 2008, 05:59:21 PM

I.e. pass inspection.

Dr. Dave

Sorry, Doc.  Didn't see this post.  I've been saying "cut the mustard" for years, knowing what it means and also assuming I was using it properly.  Seems as though I was all along.  Did some "google" research and found that most, if not all, sites said pretty much the same thing.

Cut the mustard

Meaning

To succeed; to come up to expectations.

Origin

Why cutting mustard was chosen as an example of high quality is unclear. As always in such circumstances, there are no shortage of guesses. Some of these allude to the literal difficulty of cutting mustard in its various forms; for example:

- Mustard seed, which is hard to cut with a knife on account of its being small and shiny.
- Mustard plants, which are tough and stringy and grow densely.
- Culinary mustard, which is cut (diluted) and made more palatable by the addition of vinegar.

There is no evidence to support these derivations and they give the impression of having been retro-fitted in an attempt at plausibility.

Another supposed explanation is that the phrase is simply a mistaken version of the military expression 'cut the muster'. This appears believable at first sight. A little research shows it not to be so. Muster is the calling together of soldiers, sailors, prisoners, to parade for inspection or exercise. To cut muster would be a breach of discipline; hardly a phrase that would have been adopted with the meaning of success or excellence. This line of thought appears to have been influenced by confusion with the term 'pass muster', which would have the correct meaning, but which could hardly be argued to be the origin of 'cut the mustard'. The OED, which is the most complete record of the English language, along with all of the other reference works I've checked, don't record 'cut the muster' at all. The fact that documented examples of 'cut the mustard' are known from many years before any for 'cut the muster' would appear to rule out the latter as the origin.

There has been an association between the heat and piquancy of mustard and the zest and energy of people's behaviour. This dates back to at least 1672, when the term 'as keen as mustard' is first recorded. 'Up to mustard' or just 'mustard' means up to standard in the same way as 'up to snuff'. 'Cutting' has also long been used to mean 'exhibiting', as in the phrase 'cutting a fine figure'. Unless some actual evidence is found for the other proposed explanations, the derivation of 'cutting the mustard' as an alternative way of saying 'exhibiting one's high standards' is by far the most likely.

Whatever the coinage, the phrase itself emerged in the USA towards the end of the 19th century. The earliest example in print that I've found is from The Iowa State Reporter, August 1897, in a piece about the rivalry between two Iowa towns:

Dubuque had the crowds, but Waterloo "Cut the Mustard"

Emphasis mine.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Got my Tactical Briefcase.  UNFORTUNATELY my laptop, a Sony Vaio barely fits.  I have to almost force it in, but it does still secure.  The case is not wide enough to fit in the pouch made for the laptop.  Guess I should have looked at the measurements first.  It fits in the main compartment so I may keep it.  But kind of disappointed.  Like it otherwise though.
Serving since 1987.

flyerthom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 14, 2008, 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: DrDave on May 14, 2008, 05:59:21 PM

I.e. pass inspection.

Dr. Dave

Seems that "cut the mustard" is the real phrase and "cut the muster" has not been found in any historical context or document.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cut-the-mustard.html

http://feedfury.com/content/696672-english_grammar_rule_cut_the_muster_or_mustard.html

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Phrases-and-Sayings/Question99776.html

Either way it's better than cutting the cheese ...

Hey Stonewall I can relate. Someone in another thread mentioned the Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack . I bought one for work. Carries a PDA, ICS and Critical Care Transport references, multi tool and a bunch of IV caths and start kits, lights etc. It's working great and there still room for more stuff. Instead of a gun I've got extra PPE and I don't have to worry about my cell phone.
TC

KyCAP

Hey Stonewall... The case streches out a bit after a while I have figured out.   Stick something larger that your Vaio in there and see if it doesn't give.   I have an HP Tablet PC that should be about the size of your Vaio.   These are also about the size of the Toughbooks. 

I agree its a "snug fit" though.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Stonewall

I got it working good enough to use daily.  I like it, but for what I'm doing right now I'm using my Camelbak BFM and just stuffing my laptop in there.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Kirt.....the bug running around in your sig freaked me out  :D  I kept trying to kill it. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: KyCAP on May 29, 2008, 05:05:47 AM
Hey Stonewall... The case streches out a bit after a while I have figured out.   Stick something larger that your Vaio in there and see if it doesn't give.   I have an HP Tablet PC that should be about the size of your Vaio.   These are also about the size of the Toughbooks. 

I agree its a "snug fit" though.

Yep, after using it for about 6 weeks now, my laptop goes in rather smoothly.  Glad I kept it as I love it and all the wanna-be gear-queers at my combat arms school are threatening to steel it from me.  Good case, I highly recomend it.
Serving since 1987.