Main Menu

Opinion on vest

Started by stillamarine, April 23, 2008, 08:54:48 PM

stillamarine

So, boss lady had me cleaning out some of my stuff.  :'(

Up until recently I was fairly active playing paintball and I have some stuff sitting around that doesn't get used much.  While clearing out a seabag I came across my old vest, and being the ingenuitive that I am (and finding excuses to not toss stuff!) I started wondering if it would be feasible to use this vest for GT work.

Personally, I thing it would. Now please don't turn this into a thread arguing about whether or not we should be using tac vests etc. Camo versus orange etc. Just what are your opinions on if this vest would work.

It's got a good amount of pouches for storing stuff on the front. The only odd thing would be the pod pouches in the back. BUT I think these may be a good thing. If you use a 140 round pod you could store first aid equipment, maps, heck I've fit a poncho in one of those pouches before. The pods keep those things fairly protected against rain. It has an internal pouch for a camelback bladder  but I've never been overly impressed with it and tend to just wear the camelback underneath it.

Here is a link to the vest:

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?SKU=320+0057&CAT=104201301
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Al Sayre

If it will carry all your stuff, and you're comfortable in it, then wear it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

I think it's better than a lot of stuff out there, especially if you have this and don't care to spend money on something more suitable for GSAR work.  I personally wouldn't buy this if I was out looking for a vest, but I wouldn't turn it away if it was given to me.

I'm not against using anything that works and is durable.  Of course, my #2 rule, which comes only after #1 (functionality) is LOOKS COUNT.
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

I use a tactical vest, and it works fine.  I can use it both for my GT stuff and for my aircrew survival stuff.  I use plastic soap dishes from the BX to hold all the little stuff, and shove the soap dishes into the rifle magazine pouches.
Another former CAP officer

Duke Dillio

Based on my experience with different types of vests and LCE's, I would say this would be just about perfect for ground ops.  It seems to have a lot of pockets on it suitable for carrying all your stuff.  Might check the back just to make sure that your day/72 hour packs will be comfortable for wear with it.  Other than that, you can't ask for a better price.

flyerthom

Look at some points:

1) Price  - well you already have it.
2) Space - a lot of pockets
3) fit - well you already have it.

Looks like it will work just fine.
TC

alamrcn

Will this...

...from the Hock Shop (or another tactical vest) work with...

...that I already have?

Just looking for a way to have small front pockets that are easy to access without removing the pack. I've been doing a utility belt and Y-harness with my Camelbak for awhile now, which is Ok... but maybe there is a more viable option.

I've looked at the MOLLE stuff on the web, but it's confusing (and expensive) to not have the stuff right in front of you to try.

Then there's this gadget on eBay being sold as made for CAP purposes...

Thanks for your input and discussion,
-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Duke Dillio

^I'd have to see the front of the eBay gadget.  I haven't ever carried a sleeping bag with my 24 hour gear but I'm sure a couple of ponchos would work in that space pretty well.  It might be kinda difficult to get in and out of the vehicle with that huge sleeping bag on.

sarflyer

Where did you get the woodland camo one please?
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Shotgun

Quote from: stillamarine on April 23, 2008, 08:54:48 PMIt's got a good amount of pouches for storing stuff on the front. The only odd thing would be the pod pouches in the back. BUT I think these may be a good thing. If you use a 140 round pod you could store first aid equipment, maps, heck I've fit a poncho in one of those pouches before. The pods keep those things fairly protected against rain. It has an internal pouch for a camelback bladder  but I've never been overly impressed with it and tend to just wear the camelback underneath it.

Here is a link to the vest:

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?SKU=320+0057&CAT=104201301

I've just started to get involved in GT Missions and am looking to put my gear kit togeher. This vist looks like it will fit the bill nicely. I'd prefer that it be woodland camo, but otherwise I think it is pretty much perfect. The tube holders on the back kind of throw me off, but I'm pretty sure I can find a something to stick in them.

Are the clips on the back shoulders for a camel back?

Tags - MIKE

stillamarine

It actually has a pouch on the inside of the vest to put a bladder in.

As for the pod pouches I have found that they work great. I put an entire first aid pouch into one pod. I've rolled up my orange vest and stuffed it up another. Stuffed a poncho into a pouch. the last one I've just shoved some miss. stuff. The front pouches are great. An ISR fits perfectly in the radio pouch, front pockets are good for other items. In one of the pouches normally used for a paintball grenade, I have a cpr mask, a few pairs of gloves and a compress.

Plus I saved money and Boss Lady is happy.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

alamrcn

Quote from: sarflyer on May 21, 2008, 03:54:56 PM
Where did you get the woodland camo one please?

I actually bought a black one to use with CAP and on my motorcycle for long trips, and got it through an internets source which I forget now - but they also had woodland camo. The Army Reserve Base PX in MN still had the woodland pattern when I was there last September, but may have clearanced them out with everything changing to ACU/digipat.

I like the HAWG for the room when using it as part of my 24-hour gear. However it is a little big for uses like encapments or flightline, but the MULE works well there.

If I pack my 24-hour gear for a "comfortable" and "well prepared" overnight as I like them, it comes very close to the 72-hour gear in size and weight - just without the extra food. The days of "cargo pocket" camping are now far in the distance for this 30-something former cadet!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pylon

The only downside to the vest you posted that I can see is that its not modular (i/e: MOLLE, ALICE, etc.).   So you're limited to the pockets already sewn on there and what they can hold, etc.  I've been looking recently at a variety of vests to start getting some Ground Team gear together for myself.  I've pretty much settled on that the best way to go for me, especially starting from scratch, is a modular system.  You can add the pouches and pockets you need, in the sizes you need, place them where you want and change your gear set-up depending on the mission type.

I've recently fallen in love with the Camelbak Delta 5 vest.  It's got over 3 liters of insulated liquid holding built neatly into the vest.  MOLLE loops on the front and back, so I can add gear how and where I need.  It's got mesh panels, so it breathes.  It's got a carry handle for when you're not wearing it, and straps for an optional web belt.  It's got padded shoulders for comfort.  All-around, it's the best I've seen, though it's pricey at around $130.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAPSeahawk8

I have a Delta 5 and it rocks. I use it in conjuction with a Camlebak Talon backpack and I have everything I need for GTL operations. It is  also very comfortable over a long day of search operations.

Capt Andy Wiggs
CC/MER-NC-022
DOS/NCWG

MIKE

Uh... It's not a "carry handle."
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 23, 2008, 06:55:44 PM

Oh, sure it is. You might be carrying the vest, or your buddies might use it for carrying you.

;D

Gunner C

Quote from: MIKE on May 23, 2008, 06:55:44 PM

Ok, I'll bite.  What is it?

GC

stillamarine

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

isuhawkeye

^^^ CAP Gear did a story on this site a few months ago.  Pretty cool isnt it.

fyrfitrmedic

Any specs on the Delta 5 anywhere?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

isuhawkeye

I dig it. 

Looks sharp, and very functional

RiverAux

I suppose that I'm not a big fan of the vests since despite generally being based on some sort of mesh, once all the pockets are attached they would seem to hold in a lot of heat and be hotter to work in than the more traditional belt/suspender/butt pack. 

notaNCO forever

Vests are a lot more comfortable then web gear because it distributes the weight good and after you put the MOLLE pouches on you still have plenty of open mesh. You can also put ice water in the Camel back and it will keep you cooler.