Blue Flight Jacket with CAP Aviator Shirt/Distinctive Uniform

Started by RF273, October 18, 2005, 06:33:51 PM

RF273

Hi - just looking for some clarification.... Can the CAP Blue Flight Jacket (with all the patches, insignia, etc.) be worn as outerwear with the CAP Aviator Shirt Uniform?

Thanks!

Mac

Thats a very good question. My understanding was that flight jackets (CAP Blue or AF Green) may only be worn with flight clothing (IE. flight suits or CAP Utility uniform). However the CAP distinctive uniforms all say that any appropriate civilian outergarment may be worn. I found this in 39-1 during my search:

Quote from: CAPM 39-14-1. General. Cadet members are authorized to wear the CAP utility uniform, field uniform, and blazer combinations as desired. All senior members, including those who do not meet the standards of wear for an Air Force style uniform for reasons of grooming or weight standards, may wear any of the CAP distinctive uniform combinations described in this chapter. Uniforms must be clean, neat and correct in design and specification, fitted properly, pressed, and in good condition (that is not frayed, worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned. Shoes are to be shined and in good repair. Metallic insignia, badges and other devices, must also be maintained in the proper luster and condition. Appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized with these combinations including the light blue windbreaker with the CAP seal embroidered on the right breast and the dark blue flight jacket.

So I think you should be able to wear it with the aviator shirt.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

capchiro

Now that we have ascertained that the blue flight jacket can be worn with CAP distinctive uniforms, Can we wear the military sage flight jacket and/or the leather Air Force flight jacket with CAP distinctive uniforms?  I know we can't wear the leather Air Force flight jacket with Air Force uniforms, but one can purchase the sage and/or the leather flight jackets on the civilian market, so does that make it acceptable as civilian outerwear?     
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

SarDragon

Given the general military policy of not mixing uniform items with civilian clothes and the specific prohibition on wearing leather jackets with the AF style, I would recommend not wasting your money trying to be a wanna-be. As for the sage green jackets, I might consider being a little looser with the rules, but the same basic principle still applies. I wear one of the old nylon jackets with my corporate uniforms when I'm around the squadron, but not where I'm subject to higher scrutiny.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mac

There is plenty reply on the Knowledgebase about wearing a leather A-2 flight jacket with the CAP corporate uniforms.

Quote from: CAP KnowledebaseQuestion
  Can the A2 leather flight jacket be worn with the CAP golf shirt and grey pants? If so, can it be worn with or without patches?

Answer
  Yes, appropriate civilian outerwear such as the leather flight jacket is authorized with the Golf Shirt Uniform and other CAP uniform combinations (not AF style uniforms). Depending on the patches, some might be appropriate while others would not be. The leather flight jacket or other outergarments must be clearly distinguishable as a civilian outergarment and not a uniform item. See guidance below from CAPP 151 on wearing distinctive uniform items on civilian clothes.

CAP Pamphlet 151 (E) STANDARDS, CUSTOMS AND COURTESIES restricts CAP members to wearing only authorized uniform combinations and prohibits mixing uniform items or wearing distinctive uniform items with civilian clothes. Distinctive uniform items are those items that are unique to the uniform. They include grade insignia, ribbons, cap devices, and buttons with Civil Air Patrol coat of arms. Neither should CAP distinctive items such as nameplates or grade insignia be displayed on personal property such as a bag or notebook. Certain CAP symbols, available through CAPMart, are authorized for display on personal property.

This was also pretty much the answer I got from national about wearing the CAP Blue Flight jacket with the aviator or golf shirt combination. Table 4-5 and 4-6 both state the following
Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 4-5& 4-6Table 4-5. Men's and Women's CAP Blue Flight Suit and Blue Flight Jacket Outergarments Any civilian outergarment may be worn including the blue flight jacket.

Table 4-6. Men's and Women's CAP Utility Uniform Outergarments Since the utility uniform is uniquely CAP and is not a USAF clothing item, any type cold weather outergarment may be worn including the blue flight jacket.

While Table 4-3 and 4-3 state the following:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 4-3 & 4-4Table 4-3. Men's and Women's Aviator Shirt with Epaulets Uniform Outergarments Appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized including the light blue windbreaker with the CAP seal on the right breast or the Air Force cardigan sweater. When wearing the AF sweater the wing patch is not worn and a tie/floppy bow is optional. Sweater may be worn indoors or outdoors. When worn indoors, it may be worn opened or buttoned. When worn outdoors it must be buttoned. Headgear is not required but a CAP baseball cap may be worn.

Table 4-4. Men's and Women's Golf Shirt/Summer Uniform Outergarments Appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized including the light blue windbreaker with the CAP seal on the right breast. Headgear is not required but the CAP baseball cap may be worn.
The intent is that you may wear any civilian outergarment with these uniforms or you may wear the CAP blue flight jacket with all patched and insignia with corporate flight clothing or the CAP blue windbreaker with the aviator / golf shirt combinations.

I guess I stand corrected. But, then it's all up to interpretation of the easy to read and follow CAPM 39-1.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

capchiro

Where do we find the CAP Knowledgebase?  I am sure that I have overlooked it somewhere...Help????
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Mac

There is a link on the left hand side of the screen after you log into E-services. or if you just go to cap.gov under "QUICK INFO" its at the bottom.

CAP Knowledgebase
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

westernflyer

If you're looking to buy a blue flight jacket to match your CAP blue flight suit, be careful what you order. The CAP flight suit from Vanguard is in a very dark navy blue color. It is so dark, in a dimly lit room, you might have trouble deciding if it is blue or black. If you order a jacket advertised as navy blue, the blue you end up with looks like it has been mixed with a generous helping of battleship gray. It's nothing like the blue of the flight suit, and doesn't look so good. The color jacket you want is called "replica blue" or "rep blue". Alpha makes a MA-1 flight jacket in replica blue. Simply google "MA-1 replica blue" and you should find many order options on line. I just bought one and paid in the low $60 range.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on April 02, 2010, 03:08:00 AM
There's loads of the "replica blue" (or "vintage blue") ones on Evilbay:
OK, I keep seeing it: What's with the "Evilbay" crap?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 02, 2010, 03:34:00 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on April 02, 2010, 03:08:00 AM
There's loads of the "replica blue" (or "vintage blue") ones on Evilbay:
OK, I keep seeing it: What's with the "Evilbay" crap?

It's sometimes used as a slang term for EBAY on some of the aircraft modelling sites I frequent, partly because of their often-inconsistent policies and partly because of my slightly-skewed wryly humorous take on life in general.

Nothing more, nothing less, although there is a very weird site actually called "Evilbay" that has some artwork that I just don't get the meaning of.

But that doesn't mean I don't use EBAY, or obviously I wouldn't have provided the link to the blue flight jacket.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on April 02, 2010, 05:35:33 AMIt's sometimes used as a slang term for EBAY on some of the aircraft modelling sites I frequent, partly because of their often-inconsistent policies and partly because of my slightly-skewed wryly humorous take on life in general.

Nothing more, nothing less, although there is a very weird site actually called "Evilbay" that has some artwork that I just don't get the meaning of.

But that doesn't mean I don't use EBAY, or obviously I wouldn't have provided the link to the blue flight jacket.
Understood now. Nobody likes being on the outside of an inside joke.

MSgt Van

So if I can wear the dark blue flight jacket with polo/gray slacks why in the heck did I buy the black leather jacket?  :-\

ColonelJack

Quote from: MSgt Van on April 02, 2010, 04:41:55 PM
So if I can wear the dark blue flight jacket with polo/gray slacks why in the heck did I buy the black leather jacket?  :-\

Because it looks really, really cool?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pumbaa

MSgt Van

While placing my order at a BK during our recent ARCHER flood missions in ND the counter gal was gaga over that [darn] jacket. I gave her my command patch (it was the now-obsolete "USAF Auxilliary CAP HWSRN wait a minute let's change it again"  patch).

Oops. Sorry about the "darn"...

Mustang

Quote from: westernflyer on April 01, 2010, 01:50:15 PM
The color jacket you want is called "replica blue" or "rep blue". Alpha makes a MA-1 flight jacket in replica blue. Simply google "MA-1 replica blue" and you should find many order options on line. I just bought one and paid in the low $60 range.
Alpha also makes a CWU-45-style jacket in replica blue.  Might as well go with the modern style, since the MA-1 hasn't been military issue since the 1970s.

[smg id=141]
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Gunner C

The CWU-45 is much better looking.  The MA-1 is just butt-ugly.  The cut of it makes even the most fit person look like a bowling pin.  I don't know if it's the knit collar or what, but it just isn't a good looking uniform accessory IMO.  YMMV

MSgt Van

I agree the the CWU-45 is better looking, but didn't we (captalk) determine that 39-1 doesn't address use of this jacket in blue? The pics show the old style jacket when calling out the CAP dark blue jacket.  I'm all for wearing the CWU-45 instead of the A-1. I'd toss this leather thing on the ebay pile in a minute. It's a good jacket, but I much prefer my AF CWU-45 style jacket.

Mustang

Quote from: MSgt Van on April 05, 2010, 12:05:26 AM
I agree the the CWU-45 is better looking, but didn't we (captalk) determine that 39-1 doesn't address use of this jacket in blue? The pics show the old style jacket when calling out the CAP dark blue jacket.
It doesn't specify anything beyond "blue flight jacket", which is plenty of wiggle room as far as I'm concerned.   If they want to pull a "but that's not the style depicted", I'd say, "well neither is the utility uniform that Vanguard sells."   Beyond that, there's nothing that says I can't put CAP patches and even rank insignia on my " blue civilian flight-looking jacket".
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "