Mistaken for Active Air Force?

Started by 2ltAlexD, March 19, 2008, 08:43:54 PM

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Grumpy

Quote from: mynetdude on March 21, 2008, 06:12:54 AM
I have been mistaken in a number of ways other than just "real" USAF "pilot" ;).

I had a CAP member who is a LtCol and has been in CAP for almost 19 years, she thought I was a cadet ;).  What more disguises could I come up with? :P

Come on, I find that hard to believe.  You are kidding, right?

mynetdude

Quote from: Grumpy on March 21, 2008, 05:57:10 PM
I have been mistaken in a number of ways other than just "real" USAF "pilot" ;).

I had a CAP member who is a LtCol and has been in CAP for almost 19 years, she thought I was a cadet ;).  What more disguises could I come up with? :P

Unfortunately its true, that was before I was a 2d Lt though. I had to wear the CAP cutouts on my AF blues and I had my cutouts just alittle too high cuz cadets wear theirs higher up on the collar than seniors do.  I kind of find it hard to believe that she even did that to me but you'd have to know her :).

Nomex Maximus

Last year I was out on an actual SAR mission. When I got down I drove back home and needed to stop off and get gas. I was still in my flightsuit and the nifty green jacket with my new lieutenant bars. When I went in to pay for my gas the woman at the cash register asked me if I was in the military. I explained that no, I was a civilian volunteer member of civil air patrol. She asked me what I did and I explained that we do search and rescue missions for the Air Force. She then replied a bit about how her son was in Iraq with the Army. I replied that she must be very proud of him, and of course she said she was and I told her to thank him for me for his service and she ended the converstation with me by saying, "And thank you for your service."
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mynetdude on March 21, 2008, 06:08:20 PM
I had to wear the CAP cutouts on my AF blues and I had my cutouts just alittle too high cuz cadets wear theirs higher up on the collar than seniors do.

???
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

A few weeks ago I was on my way to conduct a Squadron visit (which as a member of Group staff I am required to do), when I realized that I had forgotten to shave.   It was too late to turn around, so I stopped at a Walgreens to pick up a cheapie razor.    When the cashier rung me up, it seemed like the math was wrong, but I was in a hurry and figured it was me who wasn't estimating the tax and all properly.   I checked the receipt once I got in the car and saw that I had a military discount.    Now, I was in blues with the Service Coat, so I can much more understand that since there is nothing that says "Civil Air Patrol" save the "CAP" on the epaulet based grade.   

DC

Unfortunately its true, that was before I was a 2d Lt though. I had to wear the CAP cutouts on my AF blues and I had my cutouts just alittle too high cuz cadets wear theirs higher up on the collar than seniors do.  I kind of find it hard to believe that she even did that to me but you'd have to know her :).
There is a distinct difference between SMWOG and C/AB grade insignia on BDUs. Cadets wear metal cutouts, SMs wear cloth. And they are supposed to be in the same place, don't know where you got that one from...

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: DC on March 21, 2008, 10:14:26 PM

There is a distinct difference between SMWOG and C/AB grade insignia on BDUs. Cadets wear metal cutouts, SMs wear cloth. And they are supposed to be in the same place, don't know where you got that one from...

But he specifically said Blues... So the only difference between a SMWOG and a C/AB is the color of the name tag.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

jb512

They do???

I thought centered and resting on the line, but not over, applied to everybody...

mynetdude

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 22, 2008, 12:27:45 AM

They do???

I thought centered and resting on the line, but not over, applied to everybody...

Thats what I said, at the time regulation seemed to be a bit confusing (and still is) for at least cadet vs senior uniforms I thought the cutouts/metal grades are supposed to be in the same place regardless of who is wearing them but then what do I know.

Anyway that is resolved now, I now wear the U.S. cutouts and I rarely take them off unless they are to be dry cleaned.

SAR-EMT1

Its foolish but the difference is this:
Seniors are to CENTER the CAP/US

Cadets place it X inches above the bottom of the lapel. Not "centered"

I however centered it as a cadet.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mynetdude

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2008, 06:17:06 AM
Its foolish but the difference is this:
Seniors are to CENTER the CAP/US

Cadets place it X inches above the bottom of the lapel. Not "centered"

I however centered it as a cadet.

Ok that is starting to make sense now, I remember the discussion about how my CAP/US wasn't centered. Are you saying centered on the seam? IIRC you had to have the bottom of your lapel centered on the seam or am I mixing the two again?

Yes I don't get it, why do cadets have to wear their lapels differently than we do? We already know they are cadets because they are wearing stripes and cadets do not wear the U.S. lapel anyway.

jb512

According to 39-1, cadets and senior members wear their lapel devices halfway up the seam, resting on but not over it and parallel with the ground.

So, the bottom corner of the device should be right on the seam, halfway between each edge.  Goes for seniors and cadets.

mynetdude

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 22, 2008, 08:49:22 AM
According to 39-1, cadets and senior members wear their lapel devices halfway up the seam, resting on but not over it and parallel with the ground.

So, the bottom corner of the device should be right on the seam, halfway between each edge.  Goes for seniors and cadets.

seemed to me at one time it was different for some reason.

JayT

Quote from: mynetdude on March 23, 2008, 02:12:57 AM

You're wrong. It's always been like that.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jeders

I've been mistaken for Army, and Air Force many many times.

One night I'm heading to a meeting and discover my battery's dead. So I go to a neighboring apartment and ask if I can get a jump. When the lady opened the door her dog ran out and she asked if I trained dogs in the Army.

Another time, I'm on a mission and have to put gas in my car. While I'm standing at the pump, this girl who couldn't be more than 16 or 17 came over to me and was flirting with me until I explained I wasn't active duty. Then she left.

This one is my favorite though. Sometimes after meetings I go to Whataburger for dinner. While I'm waiting for my order this man walks up to me and says that he hates the war in Iraq, but he supports the troops and thanked me for my service. I said thank you and started to explain that I wasn't active duty but rather CAP, but by then he had already turned around.

I've been mistaken for real military many times, those are just a few.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

I have been a couple of times.  I was at the counter at an AMPM paying for a soda when an Air NG SSgt came in with his BDU's on and said "Hello Sir", then sorta gave a double take and an odd squint.   I just stated, "Im with Civil Air Patrol".  He just said, "OH, OK, I was wondering....."    Nothing to drastic though.  Ive had people ask what kind of jets I fly, etc.  When I tell them Cessna 182's, I get a strange look.  Then I just explain CAP a little.

2ltAlexD

Very interesting stories you guys! I think what we do is serving our country alot though even if it's not the regular Air Force.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

mynetdude

Quote from: JThemann on March 23, 2008, 02:52:35 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 23, 2008, 02:12:57 AM

You're wrong. It's always been like that.

I never said it was that way at one time I said it "seemed" because I do recall being told it was slightly different for cadets... I'm getting tired of the "you're wrong" slam dunk.

TBH yes if I said it WAS that way it would be wrong and I'd know it too, ah oh well I give up trying to explain *disappears*.

mikeylikey

Quote from: jeders on March 23, 2008, 03:12:02 AM

This one is my favorite though. Sometimes after meetings I go to Whataburger for dinner. While I'm waiting for my order this man walks up to me and says that he hates the war in Iraq, but he supports the troops and thanked me for my service. I said thank you and started to explain that I wasn't active duty but rather CAP, but by then he had already turned around.

First, I love Whataburger, are you from Texas or Oklahoma?

What's up monkeys?