Mistaken for Active Air Force?

Started by 2ltAlexD, March 19, 2008, 08:43:54 PM

2ltAlexD

Hi there you guys! I heard this will happen. What should you do when this happens? Do you just say well I'm in the Civil Air Patrol which is part of the Air Force?
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

Major Carrales

Say "thank you" on behalf of the US Air Force, explain what CAP is all about.  Ask them if they want to join.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Since in an earlier post you said you were totally blind, you missed a GREAT opportunity to have some fun...

"Yes, I'm a pilot.  I fly the F-117.  They use blind guys to fly the stealth aircraft on the theory that if I can't see them, they can't see me.  Seems to work, I think."
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

Depends on the situation a little bit, but I agree with Maj C.

mynetdude

LOLz

I have BEEN asked if I was a "pilot" and I would reply "what kind?" because there are different kinds.. USAF pilots and airline pilots.  And I so wanted to reply that I was both, but I declined :P

I do give them something to laugh about for kicks though, they only ask because I have so much grey hair and wearing USAF uniform when I am in regulation for weight... its too funny because I wear hearing aids and can't even get a PPL.  The fun stops when I point out my hearing aids and they go *duh*.

DC

I have been mistaken for AD Air Force, Army (while in BDUs) and and asked if I was an Air Force Academy cadet. I just politely correct them, and tell them a little about CAP. In blues I can somewhat understand the confusion, but in BDUs I just don't get it. The big blue and white CIVIL AIR PATROL displayed on the BDU blose would be a tip off I think.... Not to mention that the Air Force is about the only ones wearing BDUs anymore, and they are beginning to phase them out...

davedove

Quote from: DC on March 20, 2008, 06:38:46 PM
... but in BDUs I just don't get it. The big blue and white CIVIL AIR PATROL displayed on the BDU blose would be a tip off I think.... Not to mention that the Air Force is about the only ones wearing BDUs anymore, and they are beginning to phase them out...

Your average Joe Blow on the street doesn't know that.  They see camouflage and think Army.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on March 20, 2008, 06:38:46 PM
I have been mistaken for AD Air Force, Army (while in BDUs) and and asked if I was an Air Force Academy cadet. I just politely correct them, and tell them a little about CAP. In blues I can somewhat understand the confusion, but in BDUs I just don't get it. The big blue and white CIVIL AIR PATROL displayed on the BDU blose would be a tip off I think.... Not to mention that the Air Force is about the only ones wearing BDUs anymore, and they are beginning to phase them out...

BDU's are not the exclusive province of the USAF, there are plenty of Navy people still wearing them - saw a couple of enlisted this weekend, Marines, too, I believe, and its pretty common to see desert BDU's on people both deployed and coming home.

As to the tapes, people don't pay attention to details like that, they see a shape that vaguely matches some mental stereotype and go into full assumption mode.

In fact, it looks like the Chicago homeless are catching on to that.  I saw a guy on the street in poorly mis-matched ACU's, with non-military beige work boots and no insignia, wandering around near Sears Tower  yesterday. 

Boots unlaced, looking like he has slept more than one night in the gear.  He was just kind of milling about aimlessly, trolling IMHO, for someone to ask him if he needed help.

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

Tonight the guy at the McDonald's drive threw asked me if I was an Army Police Officer  ::) My truck has an Mini-Phantom LED on the rear view mirror for VFD, and I was in BDU's. After I explained everything as quickly as possible (there were cars behind me) he still didn't get it.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

jb512

I had a lady at the gas station the other day call me a Captain while staring at my epaulets.  It took me a minute, but I can only assume she thought the "CAP" was what that meant.

::)

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2008, 08:40:14 PM
BDU's are not the exclusive province of the USAF, there are plenty of Navy people still wearing them - saw a couple of enlisted this weekend, Marines, too, I believe, and its pretty common to see desert BDU's on people both deployed and coming home.

If so, they mustn't have gotten the memo.  Marines were out of traditional-style cammies (both woodland and desert) a long, long time ago. 

mynetdude

I have been mistaken in a number of ways other than just "real" USAF "pilot" ;).

I had a CAP member who is a LtCol and has been in CAP for almost 19 years, she thought I was a cadet ;).  What more disguises could I come up with? :P

afgeo4

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 21, 2008, 06:03:47 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2008, 08:40:14 PM

If so, they mustn't have gotten the memo.  Marines were out of traditional-style cammies (both woodland and desert) a long, long time ago. 
Marines have been wearing MARPAT uniforms for years and BDUs/DCUs have been officially phased out and are not authorized for wear. BDUs/DCUs are also phased out for the Army. I believe the ACU wear date was sometime late last year or early this year. The Navy and Air Force are the only ones that still wear the BDU/DCU uniforms and they're both phasing in new ones, although I think USAF is ahead of USN of that one. USCG stopped wear of BDU a while ago as well. They now wear their new blue utilities while in CONUS  , but may still be wearing DCUs while in CENTCOM AOR. I'm not sure on that one.
GEORGE LURYE

DC

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 21, 2008, 05:55:13 AM
I had a lady at the gas station the other day call me a Captain while staring at my epaulets.  It took me a minute, but I can only assume she thought the "CAP" was what that meant.

::)

What rank are you currently? I went into Burger King one time before a meeting and the lady at the register was sirring me like crazy.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 21, 2008, 06:27:19 AM
[Marines have been wearing MARPAT uniforms for years and BDUs/DCUs have been officially phased out and are not authorized for wear. BDUs/DCUs are also phased out for the Army. I believe the ACU wear date was sometime late last year or early this year. The Navy and Air Force are the only ones that still wear the BDU/DCU uniforms and they're both phasing in new ones, although I think USAF is ahead of USN of that one. USCG stopped wear of BDU a while ago as well. They now wear their new blue utilities while in CONUS  , but may still be wearing DCUs while in CENTCOM AOR. I'm not sure on that one.

The last Marine I saw in BDUs was about 2 years ago aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.  The ships police (I don't know what they are called officially, MPs, SPs, Security Forces???) 

But as for being confused with Active Air Force, it happens all the time, the only time I really see it as a problem is if a) you're doing something stupid that would bring negative attention or b) you are intentionally trying to be identified as a 'real' officer to do item a.

You can't explain to everyone all the time, so as long as your acting professionally the worst that happens is they think - "Wow, those Air Force guys are really nice."  If you have the time and the person actually wants to know, then just courteously explain what CAP is (not in a demeaning or "are you stupid" way) and carry on.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

I was on Active Duty in the Navy and stationed in Misawa Japan with Naval Security Group. I was an E5 at the time and a member of the CAP at the same time. This was an Air Force Base with a small (200) Navy Detachment for NSGA and VP Squadron. I had my CAP uniform in my locker in the barracks and had one in my flight bag and was confronted by my Barracks officer for having an unauthorized Officers Uniform in my room. I had to prove and explain my membership in the CAP. Not to long after that I was on my way to a meeting for CAP and was walking out of my barracks and was confronted by the OOD as to why I was in an unauthorized and impersinating an officer as well. I had to prove myself again. On the same day while I was walking to the meeting I was saluted by an AF E9 I knew from the hill (where we worked) and when he saw who it was he also confronted me.

I had only been in for a few months at the time. After about 6 months people got use to seeing me in the uniform and stopped the challenges. When my 2nd LT Promotion came around it was in the local Misawa AFB news and for about a year I was given some grief from my fellow Navy Air Crew folks.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

davedove

Does anyone think the average member of the public is aware of the phase out dates for uniforms for the different services? ::)

They see a camouflage uniform and they automatically think military.  And they probably will assume Army or Marines, as that is what most people think when the see the camo.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Psicorp

While waiting around in front of the state capital building preparing to do a wreath laying, the Wing CC, Wing XO, my unit commander, and I were approached by a older lady who asked us if we were Marines.   ;D  Yeah, the general public is generally clueless, but we still appreciate their patriotism.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

James Shaw

I do not think the general public is aware. I was at a local airport preparing to do a CD mission. The FBO is pretty close to a Delta Terminal and I went to use the facilities before we took off. I was approached by an older woman (70's or so) and was thanked for my service in the Navy in my CAP blues.

She told me her grandson was in Irag and wanted to hug anyone she saw in uniform, I let her and she smiled and walked away.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

MIKE

I got a Sir at Applebee's on the way back from district conference this January.  I was in Tropical Blue Long with "Windbreaker"... which is much less obvious than when I was wearing it in CAP "Light-weight Blue Jacket" mode, since it now has these large metal gold bars on it with little red A's in the center.

Once we were outside my mother asked if it was because of the uniform.  I just said probably, and didn't think much of it.  I'm not trying to pass myself off as an Ensign, even if I do look the part.  I just wear my uniform IAW the relevant COMDTINSTs.
Mike Johnston