Weekly Meeting Schedules

Started by Snake Doctor, March 12, 2008, 06:35:17 PM

Snake Doctor

I have a Composite Squadron that meets weekly for two hours. 
They don't have much of a written schedule so I'm looking to help them.
Do any of you belong to a squadron that meets for only two hours? How do you manage? What is your schedule?

Thank you.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

dwb

For cadets, check out CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management (PDF) and CAPP 52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook (PDF) for ideas on how to structure weekly meetings.

Also, visit the CadetStuff Wiki for activity suggestions.

The squadron I belong to meets for two hours a week, and the previous three quarterly schedules are available here.  You may notice a bit of repeat activities in those schedules; that hasn't gone unnoticed, and the next quarter's schedule will contain a little more meat.

There isn't as much material available for how to run the senior member meetings, but I would say those meetings would be driven by the type of senior program your squadron runs.  For example, if they are primarily aircrew, do safety briefings and aircrew training.

I wrote an article about schedules a few years back and put it on the semi-defunct SquadronCommand.com, it's available here.  All of the advice I would give here is already stated there.

jeders

My squadron is a composite one and we only meet for 2 hours. As DCC, here's what I have set up.

1st Week: ES, Leadership
2nd Week: AE
3rd Week: PT, ML
4th Week: Leadership
5th Week (if there is one): Whatever needs doing, or a work night cleaning the squadron building/organizing things, or a fun night.

Each week has a schedule similar to this

1830-1855: Opening formation, D&C
1855-1900: 5-minute break
1900-1945: First class period
1945-2015: Second class period
2015-2020: Clean-up
2020-2029: Closing formations/promotions/award presentations
2030: Everyone gone, building locked up

Of course the 2030 part rarely happens that efficiently, but we try. The class period lengths vary depending on what's being discussed, but that's our general schedule. For PT night though we have a different schedule

1830-1930: CPFT
1930~2000: ML
2000-2030: Physical activity for cadets

EDIT: I forgot about seniors

Seniors in our squadron don't have a set schedule for how each night is run, but for a week to week schedule we do this:

1st Week: Safety, ES, other ops related items
3rd Week: PD, admin
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Hawk200

Quote from: Snake Doctor on March 12, 2008, 06:35:17 PM
I have a Composite Squadron that meets weekly for two hours. 
They don't have much of a written schedule so I'm looking to help them.
Do any of you belong to a squadron that meets for only two hours? How do you manage? What is your schedule?

Thank you.

The current 52-16 has a suggested schedule that I use in my unit. I just shifted areound some of the meeting nights (for example, moving the safety meeting to the same meeting of every month) to accomodate some of the requirements. It has worked well. I printed out copies to each person, and posted a copy on the bulletin board for everyone to take a look. I would highly recommend that one.

Pylon

Example of our last quarter schedule:  http://ny408.org/cadetschedule.pdf 

Our meetings pretty much follow a similar format every month, with variances for special activities (like open houses, off-site activities, etc.).  I have the schedule in Excel format, and I've attached our boilerplate schedule.

To keep things sane, we keep our monthly minimums stuff (moral leadership, safety, PT, testing) on the same week and at the same times.  Then we fill in the remaining blocks with whatever we need to meet the training goals we've set for that quarter.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ Thanks Mike.  This surely is better than mine, props to you and your SQD for being awesome.  (I can use it right....... ;))
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 06, 2008, 05:04:11 PM
^ Thanks Mike.  This surely is better than mine, props to you and your SQD for being awesome.  (I can use it right....... ;))

I wouldn't have shared and posted it if I didn't want others using it.  That's what CAPTalk is all about... sharing this type of stuff.  By all means; hope it helps!   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

sarflyer

Paul,

I use the 12 week schedule right out of CP manual.  I works great.  It's 2 and a half hours and I would recommend you expand the night.

You can view my schedule at http://ct062.ctwg.cap.gov/  then click on schedule.  It's easy to adjust also in case you miss a meeting you just push the schedule back a week. 

Happy trails!
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov