Upgrading a CoP to a Davis Award

Started by pixelwonk, March 08, 2008, 03:43:38 AM

pixelwonk

The recent congratulations thread reminded me of an out-loud wondering I had not too long ago.
My original Certificate of Proficiency from 2000 had my name heinously misspelled, so I never stuck it on my "I love me wall."
Now I only have my MSA up there right now, but I was wondering if I could get my CoP reprinted as the Davis Award for posterity.  Has anybody done this or something similar?

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

pixelwonk

I've been known to do a little Photoshoppage in my day, but shop'in my awards is a no-go

SarDragon

Ask the folks at NHQ. I know folks who have had other awards reprinted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Well, yeah, that would be my next step, but I was curious if anyone had traded their CoP for a "BoD."  :)

I'll report back.

mynetdude

Quote from: tedda on March 08, 2008, 05:36:45 AM
Well, yeah, that would be my next step, but I was curious if anyone had traded their CoP for a "BoD."  :)

I'll report back.

hate to derail... nice logo... :D you photoshopped that didn't ya? No wonder they give you ideas to feed ya Tedda :)

pixelwonk

thanks, and I always accept ideas.
tedda@swivelch[bannedurl]
[/OT]

arajca

Quote from: tedda on March 08, 2008, 05:18:00 AM
I've been known to do a little Photoshoppage in my day
Talk about an understatement! :)

jimmydeanno

But you didn't earn the "BoD" you earned the CoP - why do you want the BoD instead?

Along the same lines I hear stories all the time about people who do things like request an Eaker award because they were a C/Lt Col back in the 70s, before the award even existed.  Or they request a WB because there is an award now and it was only an achievement before that.

I think you should just stick with the CoP because that's what you were awarded.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

pixelwonk

I'm not interested in debating over what you interpreted.   I wanted to know if I can have my original CoP award reprinted, and if not, is there a precedent for receiving the BoD instead.
Dave covered the former, so the latter is moot.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tedda on March 08, 2008, 07:29:22 PM
I'm not interested in debating over what you interpreted.   I wanted to know if I can have my original CoP award reprinted, and if not, is there a precedent for receiving the BoD instead.
Dave covered the former, so the latter is moot.

Ok, I get it now - thanks for the clarification - it just 'clicked.'  :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

TankerT

Tedd-

My understanding from how the stock certificates, etc... that if you want a replacement, it will come as the Davis Award. 

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

rdmcii

"Along the same lines I hear stories all the time about people who do things like request an Eaker award because they were a C/Lt Col back in the 70s, before the award even existed. "

Actually when the Eaker was first created National offered it to any member that could prove Ach 15.

ColonelJack

Inventorying my awards, etc., I discovered that I can't find my CoP.  I have literally everything else -- my SLS and CLC certficates, my SOS certificate, my ACSC diploma, my Loening, Garber, and Wilson certificates, my AEPSM certificate (you know, the Yeager award), all seven of my CommComms, and my MSA.  I just can't find the danged CoP.

Tedda ... if you get a Davis cert, let me know.  Maybe NHQ will print me a new one too.  (Do they even do that for us retired types?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Stonewall

In '91 I got my Mitchell Award a week before leaving for the Army, with my last name incorrectly spelled.  Instead of BOWDEN, it said BOWDER.  I was quite mad, so in a random attempt to ruin or fix the error, I took a pencil eraser and erased my entire name, threw it in a typewriter and re-typed my name, in a smaller font, but at least it was correct. 

Doubt you can do that today with laserjet type print and stuff.  But that's what I did BITD (which was a Wednesday, by the way).
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig