Involved in anything other than CAP?

Started by brasda91, February 23, 2008, 05:34:42 PM

brasda91

When you stop to think about all the different areas the squadron commander has to be involved in, makes you realize how much time you would have to devote to ensure the squadron runs effectively.

Examples, you have your weekly meeting, financial committee meeting, a meeting to develop your 13 week training schedule, ground team/udf training or aircrew training, meetings with the parents, missions, maybe a staff meeting, and any other meetings your particular unit conducts.

I'm a volunteer firefighter-emt.  I haven't been to a f.d. meeting in over a year.  Part of that is because I have a 16 month old, and I work swing-shift.  My wife has to take care of our son the nights I work and the nights I have CAP.  So the fire dept. has been neglected.

Even with that aside, when I stop and think about how much more I need to be doing in my squadron, I think, I don't even have time for the fire dept.  I don't want to quit the f.d.  I have 12 years devoted to it.

If you're a member of another volunteer organization, how do you split your time equally between, family, church, CAP, and the other organization?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

James Shaw

I am an Assistant den Leader for my 8 year olds Boy Scout  Troup. He is a wolf scout right now. I work a rotating schedule that only allows me to go to 2 meetings a month. Myself and the den leader alternate our nights in charge and support the same schedule. It has worked out pretty good. If a weekend trip comes up such as a Scout campout then I will go if it falls on my weekend off or sometimes take a vacation day. I have 5 weeks of vacation per year and with the rotating schedule I can have a week off if I take 24 hours off.

They are doing derby cars this monday night and I am scheduled to work that night. I will take the first 2 hours off and go the the meeting with him and then go to work at 9pm vs 7pm.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

I've been a Motorcycle Rider Safety Instructor for about 8 years.

If I'm not doing something for CAP on a weekend, I am likely on a range somewhere.

Yes, my wife is a saint.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I set aside most of my extracurricular activities once my son was born.  It's more important to be flexible while he's a toddler (and with another one on the way, we'll need to be even more flexible).

I gave up trying to do everything.  I have a duty assignment in CAP that only requires irregular attendance, and I was inactive for a while before that.

I don't want to be one of these people that is trying to juggle six different commitments and not doing any of them particularly well.

Walkman

I'm a lay youth minister for my church. Along with that, scouts is part of our program, so I'm an assistant scoutmaster in tandem. We hold both meetings Tuesday nights, and our squadron meets Wednesday nights. That works out for right now.

I'm a bit more flexible in my time as I'm a business owner. If I need to work on CAP stuff during the work-day, it really isn't a problem, so that evens things out a bit for me.

mikeylikey

Quote from: brasda91 on February 23, 2008, 05:34:42 PM
Examples, you have your weekly meeting, financial committee meeting, a meeting to develop your 13 week training schedule, ground team/udf training or aircrew training, meetings with the parents, missions, maybe a staff meeting, and any other meetings your particular unit conducts.

Those are all good examples of why a Squadron Commander needs to recruit a staff.  Most of that stuff can be done by the staff.  Say all except the Finance meeting, but seriously, that can take what....5 minutes for the SQD CC to say "I like what you other committee members are proposing, Approved"! 

Most everything can be done in the two hours a typical SQD meets for each week.

Since your Question is what else are we involved with other than CAP, my above post is way off topic sorry!  Back on.....

I volunteer at the local red cross office on blood drive weekends, and most recently donated $$ to the USO
What's up monkeys?

NIN

Apart from running my squadron, I'm also a on the Education & Training staff for the American Cadet Alliance.   Thankfully, most of my contributions there are of the "bathrobe & bunny slippers" sort (ie. I do a lot remotely..)  Today happened to be the first time since early October I actually put a uniform on for the ACA.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

IceNine

Oh man... I guess its time for a reality check

I am the Deputy Commander for cadets for a unit.  So I have Tuesday Night meetings, monthly cadet staff meeting, and Promotion Review Boards are yet another night.  Then I have a monthly Senior meeting.

I am also the deputy commander of a group.  So when I'm home I am working on group stuff.

I am active in ES, as well.

And a new CAP duty for this year, I am the deputy commandant for an encampment which is keeping me WAY more busy than I expected.

Now to real life.  I have been a firefighter for almost 5 years, an EMT for 2 and the 2 departments are seperate so I have meetings with both of them

I am a Red cross instructor for everything Health and Safety. 

I work with the local EMA as a training advisor/observer to give them an outside view on how to make their operations more effective.

I am on the county disaster council

And I have a full time job, where I work like 60+ hours a week

And yes I do find myself slipping in some or all of these areas at times but I try to keep all of them with the same amount of participation I signed up for.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

NIN

Quote from: IceNine on February 23, 2008, 10:05:20 PM

<snippage>

Did you fall into some kind of a weird time warp where each day is like 150 hours long?

Clearly, you have no social life.  Or, ahem, time with the ladies...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

♠SARKID♠

Well, I have the weekly CAP meeting night plus training missions.

Real life -

I'm a manager at a Piggly Wiggly and work nights till about 1030

I also...umm....umm.....ummmmmm......I...ummm.....
Oh my god I have no life...

:'( :'( :'(

*edit* - I teach hunter's safety too

Bear Walling

Aside from trying to start a squadron from 6000 miles away, I am in Iraq and still have six months to go.

Back home I was a Firefighter and EMT, doing odd jobs on the side, while still trying to make time for my wife and (now) 1 year old daughter.

Even though I am so far away, my committee has been doing an excellent job organizing things and trying to secure a meeting place, et cetra. Once I get home will will hold our first "true" meeting, I just hope that the local youth will be as interested as we once were.

Hey there brasda, before we have our first meeting, I would like to travel down to Paducah and visit your squadron. You never know when we might end up working together.

PA Guy

I teach in a WMD/EMS program. I am also a member of a fed. DMAT team and until recently was a CA POST Level I Reserve Officer. For the past couple of yrs. as a member of the USCG Aux I have augmented at a CG clinic 2-3 days a mo providing direct pt. care. I'm also semi-retired ;D

SAR-EMT1

CAP : meeting once a week plus extras (sarex etc... )

Officer in local FreeMasons lodge. - two nights a month

CGAux: One day a month plus activities: staff meetings, boat inspections etcs...
used to augment at CG clinic as EMT but that got cancelled and only nurses or MDs can do that now  >:(

Work: (EMS) anywhere from 60 to 100 hours a week and Im not even getting 30 grand.  :-[ :'( >:(

EMS Instructor: as needed
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Stonewall

After I got off of active duty I was in the Guard which can pose its own challenges when trying to do CAP full-time.  For the longest time, NATCAP wing planned their ES missions around my drill weekends since I was a major player in Ground ES for the wing.

Other than a 3 year break in service when I left the Army Guard, I joined the Air Guard.  Now, I've given up CAP again to complete my bachelors degree.  If all goes as planned, this will be accomplished this year.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

In addition to my CAP duties, I'm currently serving as the Worthy Patron in the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. (Can't wait until June 7 - that's when my term completes!  ;D) (For those unfamiliar, OES is for the female relatives of Master Masons; males (who must be Masons) do take part in the organization.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Lord

EMT's, Masons, Boy Scouts, ACA, Clergy, part and fulltime soldiers, ......it's obvious now....I see it clearly....We' re just "in to" funny hats!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

IceNine

Quote from: NIN on February 23, 2008, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: IceNine on February 23, 2008, 10:05:20 PM

<snippage>

Did you fall into some kind of a weird time warp where each day is like 150 hours long?

Clearly, you have no social life.  Or, ahem, time with the ladies...

I guess I didn't mention my Absolute goddess of a girlfriend whom I've been with for almost 3 years
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: IceNine on February 24, 2008, 03:51:14 PM

I guess I didn't mention my Absolute goddess of a girlfriend.....

post the pics so that WE can decide that!   ;D
What's up monkeys?

KFreeman

1) ALWG CAP staff (LtCol)
2) G-6 3rd Bde ASDF on tdy to HQ ASDF as Chief Air Command Section (COL)
3) CGAux (DSO)
4) ARES
5) RACES
6) Genealogy research
7) Webmaster for several non-profits
Do not have time for many other activities.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

RiverAux

Jeez Ken, you went for the trifecta! 

I'd be in a real pickle if my state started an SDF as I'd probably want to be in it as well as CAP and CG Aux.  Unfortunately, I'm fairly confident that this won't ever be an issue. 

Though, if we already had an active SDF, I probably would have joined it when I moved here and let my CAP membership lapse or go inactive and probably wouldn't have ended up joining CG Aux.