Main Menu

Everybody OK?

Started by brasda91, February 13, 2008, 05:19:46 PM

brasda91

With the recent severe weather (ice, snow and tornados) that have rolled/are rolling across the states, is everyone doing ok?  Anybody need anything?  Anybody affected by the storms?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Lancer

Quote from: brasda91 on February 13, 2008, 05:19:46 PM
With the recent severe weather (ice, snow and tornados) that have rolled/are rolling across the states, is everyone doing ok?  Anybody need anything?  Anybody affected by the storms?

Ha, yeah, where's the 'Off' button? I've had just about enough snow and arctic temps to last me a lifetime.  ;D Last night we had to cancel our meeting for the 2nd time in a month, we just can't catch a break.

BigMojo

I need a snorkel...been raining here for about 36hrs straight now...
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

brasda91

Quote from: Lancer on February 13, 2008, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on February 13, 2008, 05:19:46 PM

Ha, yeah, where's the 'Off' button? I've had just about enough snow and arctic temps to last me a lifetime.  ;D Last night we had to cancel our meeting for the 2nd time in a month, we just can't catch a break.

:D :D :D  Tell me about it.  I cancelled our meeting last night also, for the 2nd time in a row.  It's killing me.  I'm trying to ramp up our UDF training and the weather is not cooperating.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pylon

We live for this stuff.   8)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Desert Dawg

Here in Arizona it is dry with a normal tempature in the upper 70's! ;D
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Smokey

It's really really rough here today....

Gonna be around 65-70.....

I mean after all it was 82 yesterday.  

I turned up the furnace and am getting out my long johns!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

BigMojo

Did I mention it's only going to be in the upper 70's the next couple days?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Pylon on February 13, 2008, 05:45:38 PM
We live for this stuff.   8)

Our snow mounds are bigger than yours  :)

Hasn't been bad in the way of unrecoverable emergency conditions around here, but the snow just seems to fall more and more each day.

Quote from: brasda91 on February 13, 2008, 05:45:15 PM
:D :D :D  Tell me about it.  I cancelled our meeting last night also, for the 2nd time in a row.  It's killing me.  I'm trying to ramp up our UDF training and the weather is not cooperating.

If it aint rainin', we aint trainin'.  If it aint snowin', no sense in goin'.

Quote from: BigMojo on February 13, 2008, 05:53:54 PM

HUMMA-KAVULA! PLANE TICKET NOW!

brasda91

Quote from: BigMojo on February 13, 2008, 05:53:54 PM

what, no hurricanes today?   >:D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 13, 2008, 05:55:53 PM

If it aint rainin', we aint trainin'.

A little rain I don't mind.  It's the tornados and lightening the I can do with out.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RogueLeader

It's pretty nice around Lawton.  All the weather is going around us.  we had a couple days of Ice storms but other than that; it's been clear sailing.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mynetdude

hehe dang it was WARM yesterday! (warm enough to go in Tshirt/shorts! (Today is going to be that way too, alitle cooler though, cold front is incoming).

This is VERY nice for Southern Oregon... I'd have to say 60-70s as well.

Smokey

Those snow drifts and the recent sub zero stuff in the northern parts of the country are due to Global Warming don't ya know...... >:D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SJFedor

Yeah, I'm REALLY scratching my head on this one....

I was up pretty late last night (~3am), and 1 week ago, at around 2am, I was rounding up the girlfriend and important documents to go hide in the storm shelter from a tornado that was lined up to hit my town.

Last night, 1 week from the tornadoes, and it's snowing.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SKYKING607

Earlier this week here in So. Calif. it was 86 degrees sunny with a slight breeze.  Today, broken overcast and maybe a high of 70.

Best wishes,

CAWG Career Captain

mikeylikey

I need some sunscreen,  I (and the significant other) are going for a week to Puerto Rico.  Looks like mid March is the best time to go, anyone want to join us? 

I am also looking for some friendlies to send me some Care Packages when I get to Afghanistan in a few months!  This will be trip # 2 there.  I hear the second time around in the STAN is better than the first  ;D
What's up monkeys?

Walkman

We're in a bit of an odd weather spot right now. It's been going back and forth between whiteout snow and sunny, warmer days.

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 13, 2008, 05:55:53 PM

Our snow mounds are bigger than yours  :)

I'll see your snow mounds and raise you a few thousand feet. This is my backyard:

(Shot taken in November. These peaks are just a bit south and 2 blocks east of my house)

jimmydeanno

I'll take your mountains and raise you the worst weather on the planet! 

QuoteNotorious for its frequent bad weather conditions, Mount Washington's climate can rival that of Antarctica.  Well over a hundred people have died on the mountain, many having succumbed to hypothermia from wind chills which have been known to reach -120°F.  And it was here, on the roof of what is now the Stage Office, where the world's highest wind speed was recorded: 231 MPH.

The average annual temperature on the summit is only 26.5°F, with the records being -47°F and 72°F.  On average, 256 inches of snow falls annually, with the seasonal maximum being 566 inches.  Even months like May have seen around 100 inches!  Mt. Washington's mean wind speed is a gale-force 35.3 MPH, with hurricane-force winds occurring every third day (on average).

Visitors often wonder at photos of the summit during wintertime, when every building, tower, post, and rock is caked in a thick, snow-like frosting of "sideways icicles".  It isn't snow at all!  It is rime ice, which is formed when supercooled (liquid) fog particles crash into the windward side of things.  Due to sub-freezing temperatures and high winds, the particles freeze on contact and create the feathery ice formations.  With the summit in dense fog 60% of the time, tremendous rime buildup often occurs.

http://www.mountwashington.org

http://www.mountwashington.com/weather/index.html

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill