Associations With Aux Membership?

Started by SAR-EMT1, February 08, 2008, 08:21:21 AM

SAR-EMT1

Are there presently any AF or DoD "associations" or publications  that would allow a CAP'r  to join as a member/subscribe? (assume no prior military service)

So far Ive looked but havent been able to find any.
(however the CG does have one that allows its Aux to take part)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Any citizen can subscribe to any published journal or magazine from a DOD organization.  Just have to pay costs.  Go find one by searching the web for it, and find the button that says subscription request. 

OR
MOAA.org, and the like organizations do allow CAP members to join.  But not being a military Officer, the content of membership would not be worth the cost for you.
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 08, 2008, 08:21:21 AM
Are there presently any AF or DoD "associations" or publications  that would allow a CAP'r  to join as a member/subscribe? (assume no prior military service)

So far Ive looked but havent been able to find any.
(however the CG does have one that allows its Aux to take part)

Just curious, what exactly are you looking for?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SAR-EMT1

Just what I asked: whether or not there were any DoD/ USAF publications that CAP members would be eligible to recieve. Lord knows I enjoy recieving the Vollunteer but it seems to be more and more focused on Cadets and seems to be more and more oriented to someone who would pick it up at the local MD's office and read about CAP for the first time. The Rah-Rah-Rah gets old eventually.

I for one would like to be able to subscribe to a publication that is less
" public oriented"

Mikey.. I have looked a MOAA
On the online application they REQUIRE that branch and rank be listed. And they do not list Civillian or Auxilliary as a choice.
While I could put USAF 1st Lt. I dont want step outside my bounds.

Other publications are similar in that Civillian or Auxilliary is not an option.
The exception seems to be the USCG magazine.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Short Field

The Air Force Association.    The magazine is worth the dues.

AFA Life Member

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 08, 2008, 08:42:36 PM
Just what I asked: whether or not there were any DoD/ USAF publications that CAP members would be eligible to recieve. Lord knows I enjoy recieving the Vollunteer but it seems to be more and more focused on Cadets and seems to be more and more oriented to someone who would pick it up at the local MD's office and read about CAP for the first time. The Rah-Rah-Rah gets old eventually.

I for one would like to be able to subscribe to a publication that is less
" public oriented"

On the online application they REQUIRE that branch and rank be listed. And they do not list Civillian or Auxilliary as a choice.
While I could put USAF 1st Lt. I dont want step outside my bounds.

Other publications are similar in that Civillian or Auxilliary is not an option.
The exception seems to be the USCG magazine.

I guess that the AFA or AFSA magizines are your best best?

Personnally, I like the New York Post, but that's just me.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 08, 2008, 08:42:36 PM
On the on line application they REQUIRE that branch and rank be listed. And they do not list Civilian or Auxiliary as a choice.
While I could put USAF 1st Lt. I don't want step outside my bounds.

If you call the 800 number, and subscribe/become a new member by phone, then you can say "Civil Air Patrol".  Heck a few months ago, they had some ads in the MOAA mag with CAP members as the advertising subject. 

I know a few CAP members who are subscribers and they called in thier subscriptions. 

What's up monkeys?

PA Guy

The AFA is your best bet.  I have seen the MOAA mag and it is a marginal publication at best.  Mostly a venue to sell advertising for retirement property.  If you want hard core research try subscribing to Naval Institute Proceedings. Or just go to a good library and read them for free.  But besides a membership card what does it get you?  It sure doesn't make you something your not

mynetdude

Quote from: PA Guy on February 09, 2008, 12:54:04 AM
The AFA is your best bet.  I have seen the MOAA mag and it is a marginal publication at best.  Mostly a venue to sell advertising for retirement property.  If you want hard core research try subscribing to Naval Institute Proceedings. Or just go to a good library and read them for free.  But besides a membership card what does it get you?  It sure doesn't make you something your not

Just don't come down to where I am, there aren't any libraries... though I wonder if there are online libraries I could borrow from (but then again at cost).

Actually going to a library and hoping they have some is a good alternative to subscribing and having all that junk piling up.

mikeylikey

^ No libraries??  Sounds like soviet era Russia.
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 09, 2008, 03:25:17 AM
^ No libraries??  Sounds like soviet era Russia.

I'm not one who divulges into politics or understands them... I stay out of it.. makes my head bulge too quick.

But what I do know is because of the joint county contract whatever I don't know.  A long time Josephine and Jackson counties had their own separate library systems.  Their own separate college and all that. When I first moved here, JoCo was the only county with the Comm college, JacksonCo was the only county with a state college... warp a few years later both counties saw a need for a comm college in JacksonCo so they developed a partnership and somewhere around that time the state college became a university...

Both counties saw a need for interchangable library use across both counties (many places where I lived you could only get a library card in the county you reside in, except I got lucky when I went to school 20 miles outside of my county and so I got the benefit).  Anyway... so one day Jackson county decided they wanted a bigger and prettier library... they began buckling due to the funding and not enough to support it because they needed more staffing for this one big huge library so all of it came tumbling down this doesn't apply to the college libraries they have remained.

That isn't the exact story but its pretty much what happened.